Turbo snail and freshwater clam
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman

Turbo snail and freshwater clam

I heard and from what I saw in an article, mentioned the using of fauna turbo snail and freshwater clam. What are these creatures? freshwater clam sounds exotic.. can it be easily kept in a large planted tank?
medicineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
brad
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I looked into Freshwater clams too. They`re often on ebay and thought they`d look cool. Apparently, they`re not all that interesting. They burrow into the substrate and tend to stay there. 15 minutes after you get them, they`re gone. I guess care is quite easy, eating debris and things in the substrate. Maybe someone will ring in with more experience but for now:
http://crayfishshop.com/aquatic-crit...php?topic=73.0
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

Woow freshwater clams... I live in southeast asia but never seen one. These clams are exclusively debris and algae feeders from substrate and water collumn which will reduce waste in the tank, so definately this is a must!! Whoa I'm getting it real soon... but where to think of getting them... Going to rural areas perhaps. I have never seen one sold in aquarium shop. Nope LFS here do not understand the function (or people did not realize it). Nevertheless, its hunting time
Old 10-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
GraFFix
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a clam in my tank and its true...10 minutes after you put him in the tank he will be gone. I might see mine once a month and you see about a 1/4 inch of him sticking out of the substrate. Not to interesting really but i heard they help reduce nitrates in the tank too. Not sure about that.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Guess if they die in the substraite they just become more fert- hehe.

I know quite a few stock tanks (.5-5 acre ponds) that have freshwater clams in them. I have only seen them in tanks with silty bottoms - which makes me wonder how they would deal with my sandy substraite (but guess since there salt water cousins do just find in sand, they would probably do well also).

Been meaning to harvest some moss from one tank (possibly to do a ultra cheap biotype) perhaps I will attempt to harvest some clams as well. I think the silty bottom of the tanks probably has too much organic matter for me to really want to use it as well, but for a truely authenic biotype I might give that a short try as well (especially if I can find some out of the way garage space incase this experiment turns smelly).

So many ideas - so little space, budget, and time...
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
lumpyfunk
Green Water Master

PTrader: (32/100%)

There are tons of FW clams in the sandy areas of my cabin, they should do fine.
lumpyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
brad
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

it`s been a while since I looked into them so I`m going by memory, but, there are some (most) species that reproduce and the larvae attach themselves to the fish, so be careful what you`re putting in your tank. You may end up with some upset fish.
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Cheeseybacon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad
there are some (most) species that reproduce and the larvae attach themselves to the fish, so be careful what you`re putting in your tank. You may end up with some upset fish.

Apparently the freshwater mussels are the biggest offenders.
http://www.bartleby.com/65/cl/clam.html
Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
There Be Whales Here
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I tried fresh water clams; within two days all ten of them became fish food . The fish did enjoy them though .

Bleeding Heart Tetras, 3 White Skirt Tetra, 4 Angelfish, 1 Skunk Loach, 4 Bronze Cory's, 3 Blood fin Tetras, 4 Rainbow Cichlids
There Be Whales Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #10
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

Now it rings in me. Those cheap small pearls sold in acessory stores are freshwater pearl. I went for a tour to china several years ago and in Suzhou I paid a visit to a local freshwater pearl farm. They are using freshwater clam for seeding pearls. It is as big as a hand and narrow (looks like saltwater one). They hang the clams on nets and leave it to grow on a lake (after they carefully disect and seed the clams for pearl).

Considering the fact that most baby clams can be a fish parasite, I have to do more research of which species to keep and which to avoid, or how about having one of each species so they will never be able to reproduce?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:54 AM   #11
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad
it`s been a while since I looked into them so I`m going by memory, but, there are some (most) species that reproduce and the larvae attach themselves to the fish, so be careful what you`re putting in your tank. You may end up with some upset fish.
Mussels (freshwater) reproduce using fish. Clams (marine) do not.

The most common mussel sold as a "freshwater clam" is Corbicula. These mussels are livebearers, making them more like marine clams than mussels, hence the common name. They also are shaped a bit more like marine clams. However, they dig and behave like other freshwater mussels.

Liveaquaria.com sells them.

If you take a look here:

http://outdoorplace.org/shells/local_shells.html

You can see how similar many species of mussels look to each other, but the "Asian Clam" (last picture in the first group) has an easily distinctive appearance. This makes me think Corbicula is a distant cousin of some species of marine clam.

They are filter feeders and eat organic material from the water column.
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

You guys are making me hungry for the GF's famous clam chowda...its just now getting cold enough too...