Is my neon tetra ready to lay eggs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
panchovilla1133
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is my neon tetra ready to lay eggs?

I have 3 neon tetra in my tank and I know that they are egg laying fish but its belly is huge. Could it be ready to lay eggs? Is it sick? Should I move it to my 10gal tank that only has 6 amano shrimp in it? I dont have a pic but it look like its going to explode! anything helps.
panchovilla1133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
xiaxia
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is there any way you can get a picture? There is no way we can tell with the info you provided. Can you be a little more detailed?

Here is thread with your same question. Hopefully you can compare.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=2256690

xiaxia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
panchovilla1133
Algae Grower

Xiaxia the pic's in that thread are vary similar to my fish. Mine is vary fat and bumpy looking but it seems to be acting normal. Its eating and swimming a lot. I did a water change two days ago and all my fish seemed fine so this increase in size must have happened fast. I have never had good luck with tetra and I dont want the rest to get sick, or for my tetra to get my rams sick. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

A couple of weeks ago I had a peculiar thing happen. I had about 15 neons in my tank, and one afternoon they along with my flag fish were at the top of the tank in the duck weed doing what I thought was grazing food. This was unusual for the neons, but I thought "maybe the flags taught them that duck weed is tasty" and didn't think any more about it - it was during the day and my lights were out, as I use my lights in the evening/night. When the lights did come on I saw 3 neon floaters. I rarely lose a fish so this was a little shock to me. One maybe, but 3 worried me. As it turns out, all three of them were preggo and plump with eggs. Then it occurred to me that some of the neons were much smaller than the rest of them and that they had been having babies all along and I never noticed it hehehe....

That's my neon story.

I have no idea why they died. I don't even have a clue. All the usual parameters, etc etc etc. but it was a unique experience seeing them at the top of the tank like carp that day...
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=tetra

This is the thread i gave for aquaStudent's Question, i think it may help you

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
panchovilla1133
Algae Grower

ADJAquariums thanks for the thread link, I had already read it but it was interesting. Although I don't think its a tumor, like I said it was fine two days ago-three now. Today it still seems to be doing fine eating, swimming, and doing what fish do. The only thing different is that its fat as hell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.