With Linear Lamps use a "starting aid"? and T8 in a T12 fixuture.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

With Linear Lamps use a "starting aid"? and T8 in a T12 fixuture.

quick odno question. Saw the above wording on a diagram from fulhams web site. I am under the understanding that these are normally built into endcaps. Is that the case? Am thinking of putting a wh5 in an old t12 (magnetic ballist) fixture and was currious if I needed to add/remove any small things. Having read a bunch of endcap issue threads, had been considereing direct wiring the bulb, but that would be bypassing the starter aid if there was one in the endcap.

Oh just curious, saw a t12 fixuture burning at lowes last night with t8 bulbs in it. - what probablems does that cause? Fixture said requires two t12 bulbs, no mention of electric ballist, but the demo was buring on the wall with t8s in it.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Starters are only used for magnetic ballasts. So if you replace the magnetic with an electronic one you want to remove the starter things. You will see them in the endcap, they are round little cylinders that can be unscrewed. Some suggest to short (connect) the two bulb pins on each side when using electronic ballasts, IME it doesn't make much difference, maybe it helps to reduce interference.

T12 and T8 bulbs are interchangeable.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
shalu
Wannabe Guru

First time I heard about this, so I did a search and found a Fulham reply on the reef forums:
Quote:
By definition, a starting aid is any grounded metal surface running the
length of the lamp that is mounted within 1/2" of the lamp. The fixture that
the lamps are mounted on or in is a starting aid provided the fixture is
metal and it is grounded.

The starting Aid requirement comes from the lamp manufacturers guide not the
ballast. If you do not have a metal fixture the lamps will probably start
and operate anyway.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. So it is not a "starter"
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool. 50/50 on if I am going to do this thing. I have wasted money on worse projects and at least with this one I should have hobby parts left over once (if) my hqi comes back online. On the other hand, if the hqi is permently disabled, can always get a better reflector and a second wh5 and be set regardless.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
Old 10-20-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok - wow. I had a cheep commericial t12 fixture next to one of the stainless(esq) t8 fixures (currently the cheepest t8 fixuture I have found in Austin - $8 bucks today at wallmart, was $20 at home depot). The t12 looked about 1/2 as brite as the t8 (hard to tell lumens - lot more emiting area on a t12 for sure. Pretty dim compaired to that brite t8

Put in the new "special" commerical t8 fiixture with a wh5 in it. The poor old t8 is so yellow and dim besides it. Jesus I was not expecting this much difference. I can tell a little difference in the heat of the bulb - but still cool enough. Endcap is quite warm, but can leave my fingers on it for pretty much as long as I want - 30 seconds? Definately not the nerve damage and vaporized skin heat that touching a hqi would have. OH, and plants are pearling (course also did a water change today , so tomorrow is the true test for that)

Missed the champaine water that my hgi made daily. But looks promising that it will be back at least in part.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #6
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Did you OD the bulbs 2x with WH5?
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right now I have 2 4" shop light over a 3 foot tank. I think it will keep the tank looking great - but not necessarily the best looking solution for my living room. This is a temporary solution at best. There is a significant chance my hqi will get repaired and be reinstalled - so I am going for emergency lighting as cheaply as possible at the moment. If the hqi is ultimately dead, then I will start to work with a more aesthetic solution - one that will definitely have better reflectors as well.

On a side note, the fact that the endcaps are 6 inches to each side of the tank does keep then nice and dry with great ventilation. Safety wise I may keep this and just let the house plants beside the tank enjoy the spilled light.