Nano Fish with personality - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #16
Catie79
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'll second the Endler males. I've got a trio of males and they are great to watch, very busy and colorful. I also love the bettas, and not just the long finned ones. I've got some betta imbellis and they are great to watch, lots of personality and the males are beautiful. You might not like the females, they're more drab.

How nano are you going? I hear German Blue Rams come up a lot if you're not getting really tiny. I recently got some Bolivian rams and love them, but they're in the 40g community.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #17
amajoh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have a very active halfmoon beta. He really is the most awesome fish, very interactive and always excited to see people. He also will jump to get food off your finger if you hold it just above the water's surface.
amajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Has anybody kept dwarf puffers? I'm just cycling/planting up a fluval spec and I'm just trying to decide what fish to get. I've always wanted dwarf puffers but wasn't sure how much work they would be
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
idleivey
Planted Member

I kept a trio of dwarf puffers in a 15 gallon. I wouldn't say they were more trouble than any other fish. Just keep up on your water changes. Personality wise they can be a problem though. They are species only, you might get shrimp or otos in there but mine would attack both so YMMV. I eventually had to split them up and give them away because my one male decided he didn't want to share the tank any longer.

edit: That fluval spec is pretty small, you might get one in there but any more and they will likely kill each other. They are mean little fish.
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

Yeah I'd read about them being species only but also read that there shouldn't really be any issues with otos. I'll maybe have a good think about it and see about sexing them so I only get one male. Thanks for the advice
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

Betta sorority: color + personality + never a dull moment.
They come on sale at PetSmart occasionally for $0.99/ea and PetCo will match the price.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Betta sorority: color + personality + never a dull moment.
They come on sale at PetSmart occasionally for $0.99/ea and PetCo will match the price.
Betta sororities are amazing and rewarding - but they require dedication and a close eye, especially early on while the females sort out pecking order. And there's always the chance that you'll run into a female that just can't be housed with others.

I love 'em, though. I've actually just dirted and filled an old tank to start a new sorority. Just needs to be planted and cycled.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Everybody knows what I'm going to post right? :P

LEAST KILLIFISH.

I always chime in and recommend this species. It is the 7th smallest fish in the world, the smallest live bearer in the world and is the smallest fish endemic to the US.

They are striped like a tiger, sleek silver and they remind me very much of dwarf puffers. They are very personable for a person wanting more than one dwarf fish.

I see mine all over the tank, and my babies also roam the top(floaters) or bottom(moss).
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

I forgot to add -- if you have never seen a picture of them, they're scattered through my 18" nano journal.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
thedudeabides
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Killifish in general work great in nano setups, can't beat them in color or personality IMO. Really can't understand why they are not more popular then they are.
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
thedudeabides
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Also CPO's are fun in nano's if you go the invert route
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
JerSaint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

+1 to the Sparkling Gourami. I have a trio on my tank and love them. They are subtle but beautiful. I have found it takes about a month of good home conditions to color up.
Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...958&highlight=
JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...841&highlight=
Profile Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...025&n=JerSaint
JerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
shift
Wannabe Guru

CPD's are cool little fish but a bit timid.. they hide if you appear to quickly.. you kinda have to sneak up on them.. or wait a minute for your empty tank to appear full again.

I also have neons that are surprisingly active.. Most danios can be fairly zippy
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Danios need a lot of swim space horizontally. I got a few in my 10gallon, and I felt so guilty about their space when I saw how active they wanted to be. I'm getting them into a 20Long as soon as my roommate lets me put a tank in the livingroom.

Though, if you're in the market for a long tank, with lots of swim room, by all means, go for the zebra danios They're beautiful, almost iridescent with deep blue and light gold, and they're so active!

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

If you're looking for a group of schooling fish with more personality, I really like my spotted pygmy Rasboras (Boraras maculatus). They are very playful and interact as a group. Not very interactive with me, although they will come over to the corner of the tank to see me when I'm ask the desk when it's feeding time. Good with other community fish. Had them for a while with pygmy cories and they'd school together and play in the water current.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote