Low tech filtration upgrade? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I do like the aquaclears. I have 3 of them. Ill look into the gas exchange cuz I'm getting conflicting information. The plant guru and my LFS whom I trust fully told me I want no surface agitation whatsoever. So again ill look into it. And if I'm heavily enough planted and have a light bioload won't my plants provide more than enough oxygen for my fish?
Colorblizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

In a low-tech tank surface agitation is a good thing. The high-tech guys avoid it because they are trying to maintain an unnatural imbalance of gasses in their tank. A low-tech tank is just trying to maintain a natural balance. As plants use CO2 throughout the day you need to replenish it. The only low-tech source of CO2 is the air. Just like surface agitation provides oxygen for fish as they pull it from the water surface agitation provides CO2 for the plants as they pull it from the water.

As for the filter, I'm quite happy with the Tom's Mini Canister. It does a great job on a small tank. It is a pain to service. And it needs to be serviced pretty often due to its small size. But I doubt you can beat it for the price.

Having said that, I just ordered all the stuff to build a mattenfilter for our twenty-gallon. It's cheap, low maintenance, and seems to be quite effective from what I've seen. Mine cost more than the Tom's canister did. But that's because I'm using a powerhead to run it instead of an airlifter. It's still cheaper than a canister or HOB for a twenty-gallon.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
iant
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblizzle View Post
I do like the aquaclears. I have 3 of them. Ill look into the gas exchange cuz I'm getting conflicting information. The plant guru and my LFS whom I trust fully told me I want no surface agitation whatsoever. So again ill look into it. And if I'm heavily enough planted and have a light bioload won't my plants provide more than enough oxygen for my fish?
to simplify gas exchange on a low tech tank for you.
when you have water agitation ie: HOB flow, anything in the air gets dissolved in the water including co2. Now water holds co2 at a constant at about 3ppm. it does not matter how much water agitation/flow there is, your water will only hold that much co2. The only way you can increase co2 is when you inject. then you need very little surface agitation to try to keep it at that level. Problem with no water movement is that things could build up on the surface ie: silt preventing gas exchange (co2/oxygen/etc.) and choke out your plants and fish
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. The way you just put that actually did clarify it for me
Colorblizzle is offline   Reply With Quote