my first run at a planted tank in 10 years
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

my first run at a planted tank in 10 years

hi, i recently just put up a 75g planted tank about 2 weeks ago , maybe 3. right now it is low tech, will probably stay that way as i also have a 150 gallon turtle/african cichlid setup, as well as a 200 gallon saltwater system. currently lighting wise, i have 2 40w phillips daylight deluxe flourescents, and will be adding a 3rd, but may go with a differrant bulb, possibly an 8000k . plus it gets natural sunlight that shifts throughout the day. at 730, it starts to light up the right corner, then fizzles out around 7 in the left corner. i am not running co2, and dont plan on as of yet, may incorporate it eventually.i have a fluvar 305 and an old aquaclear 110 as filtration. for substrate i have 60 lbs of flourite, 100 lbs of play sand, and the gravel from a long running cichlid tank that exclusively ran an under gravel filter. all the muck came with it and everything was mixed together. stocking im still in the air on, cant decide discus or angels, possibly a pair of both. current plants are water sprite, ambulia, leapord val, hygrophora polysperma, and some java moss. im considering moving the ambulia to the background. any suggestions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10480969_10152351529114075_9061682069914491736_n.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	353930  

cheeziscrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Plants in bunches should be broken up and planted individually.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
klibs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Plants in bunches should be broken up and planted individually.
+1
Also be prepared for ambulia / water sprite to grow really fast
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

I'm ok with them growing fast, I kind of plan on the tank doubling as a secondary food source for my turtles. I figure whatever snails , platys, or plants I prune can just get thrown in with the turtles and africans. The water sprite I did separate as much as I felt comfortable doing, the ambulia I feel I'm a little late. They are dropping tons of roots to the sand though, can I just cut the bunch above the plant weight and replant each stem individually? And it should be moved from mid ground to the background correct? And the the hygrophilia, should that be background as well or mid?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

im re scaping tonight. moving all the rocks to one side, like a boulder cave, with all the water sprite behind it in the corner, and all the driftwood to the other side, like a dead forrest in the corner. done all the rocks but gotta let all the sand settle so i can replant the ambulia, and figure out how i want to do the forrest. plus im trying to hide equipment, and open the tank up. i liked my initial scape but just kept seeing more and more potential as i looked at it more and more lol. i have a question for an idea i have though. i always see people have what looks like rivers or roads or paths in differrant color substrate. how do they keep them so perfect, like clear forms or something? ive tried it thousands of times and in a few weeks it just get spread into the other substrate. im thinking i want to get some blue sea glass, and make it look like a babbling brook or stream cutting through the tank.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

"plus im trying to hide equipment, and open the tank up"
Wisteria plants get big/can help in this aria a lot. Same/w Watersprite.
"can I just cut the bunch above the plant weight and replant each stem individually?"
Yes, in fact it's a common way to multiply what you have with taller plants.
"I liked my initial scape but just kept seeing more and more potential as i looked at it more and more"
Oops...caution..you have one of the "classic" early stage symptoms of a common
aquarium obsession known as MTS....Multiple-Tank-Syndrome...LOL...
Rationalization/justification usually accompany and assist any obsession and those common to this one have common telltail clues. Something like..."But I have all this
left over "stuff" like rocks, substrate and extra equipment so surely you can see that it would be waisted just sitting on a shelf in the closet." "So obviously I should put them to use by getting another aquarium."
And if this trend continues you'll soon be labeled...normal...LOL...
Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

mts ya say..lol

Bump: whats a good stiff tall plant i can put under where the aquaclear dumps into the tank that wont be beaten forward to badly?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10492174_10152357722114075_2416907480974289678_n.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	354033  

Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Haven't had that issue to say from exp but I think a wall of some type/w a space behind it just enough to allow the flow to pass down behind them(most of it) without trashing them so badly perhaps? The Wisteria(for example) might go about 3" from the back just to the right of the pickup tube. The center of it but the next one to the left could be just an inch or so farther out into the tank and then the next one farther back again. They seem to have a fairly sturdy main stem on them and if a semi-circle like that were there it might help/w that.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

Ok, thank you. The water sprite seemed to be forced forward when it was there. That a all now behind the cave and hiding the canisters intake and outputs, and not getting blown all over the damn place lol.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

not totally cleared up yet, but im much happier with this design. not sure if i want to put background plants behind the wood, think im gonna leave that open, maybe one in the corner to totally hide the heater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10551019_10152357888999075_4725580288810737011_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	354105  

Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

ok here it is all cleared up. hopefully this weekend i will be adding quite a bit more plants and one more light, for a total of 120w.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10561713_10152359511119075_655679151650624202_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	354417  

Old 08-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #12
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

I'm still subscribed and will be watchingf for the next picture after what you said about adding more plants. Relavent to the light(s) have you read darkblade's "A Primer to planted tanks" ? Can't say it prevented me from overdoing the light in my tanks, but did
help me to understand why certain things happen as a result of it and a better handle on controling it.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #13
cheeziscrist
Algae Grower

No, but I will. Can you link it or is it stickied sonewhere?. I also intend to add co2, but still not sure how I wanna go about it yet. Gonna search for that primer now, thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #14
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Under the green banner at the top: clic members list/on members search enter darkblade/clic about me
at the bottom are two links, one of which is it.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #15
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Nice scape. I see algae in your future with that tank sitting so close to the window. co2 will help.

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote