40g breeder layout
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
fishtank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

40g breeder layout

Looking for input here guys. How does the scape look? Still need to find some rock. Do you think these plants are ok for a first attempt?

fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
wgreenbay
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I like the layout of it. My opinion would be to do away with the Amazon Sword and perhaps substitute it with java fern bunch. Amazon Sword are mean and can be a hog; they like to steal the show and get all the attention.
wgreenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
primo
Algae Grower

Seconded on the sword. I'd swap it with something that will fill your background more like the suggested fern or hygro, wisteria, or some sort of rotala. I have 3 amazon swords in the back corner of my tank and I'm not super fond of them vs. every other plant in my tank.

I'd also swap your sag and blyxa and put the blyxa underneath the driftwood on the left like it's growing out from underneath of it. I think it will look uber unnatural to plant the blyxa in a straight line from front to back... let the sag carpet it out.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I like the amazon sword in the corner, you can always trim it back if it gets too big. Maybe instead of a line of blyxa in the middle, wrap it in front of the driftwood on the left with the dwarf sag. Then the hairgrass up front with your dwarf bonsai behind it and somewhat in the center where you have the blyxa in your drawing. The stems would be good in the background starting from where the left driftwood end and all the way to the other side behind the other driftwood and continue it behind the rocks. You can also tie java fern or moss to those rocks and driftwoods.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
fishtank
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions! I picked up a couple of rocks and some egg crate and will re-do this over the weekend. I have had it sitting there for a few days now and I still like the layout so time to build it up and add water! Still trying to work out the plants though, and find them!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
fishtank
Algae Grower

Here is what I went with, im sure i will make changes. Lets hope I can grow plants