to trade or not to trade? Now that's a question.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-27-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
JMWhyte
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to JMWhyte Send a message via Yahoo to JMWhyte

This may be a bit of a long post but please bare with me.

I am relatively new to the aquarium hobby. I started with a 5 gal. about 11 months ago and I admit I did kill a few fish but I jumped into it really quick. I purchased my first few fish at the same time I bought the gravel for the tank :? .....I've come a long way and learned since that first setup. I now have a 25 gal. Hagen with a 250 aquaclear on it. You know, the whole starter kit ya can get for a little over $200. So I think I have it looking pretty good now after 2 months of owning it. Have a nice big piece of drift wood for the 3 plecos, lots of open space for the Zebra danios, lot's of plants and hiding spots for the black phantoms, etc, etc.....

Well the moral of my novel here is;

A guy I work with wants me to trade him my 50" big screen HItachi TV which I paid $6500 for 7 years ago (still works perfect) for his 70 Gal. aquarium. Now we work right beside a LFS (took me a while to figure that acronym out :shock: ) and he says he paid just under two grand for the tank and the stand and 2 aquaclear 300's. I guess what I'm asking is, How important is it to bhe the first owner of a tank? Actually having a warranty just in case something does go wrong with it kind of seems important to me???????????

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I will definitely be posting more questions as they come to me. Also, is CO2 an absolute must have in a planted tank? I see one in the second issue of the nutrafin aquatic news and it looks extremely expensive.....
JMWhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 12:24 AM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Well now....

It all depends on how much you value the TV set....Start from there...then go and see what the equipment would be worth new online.

There are some disadvantages to used...first and foremost....if you move the tank and it starts to leak well then you are up the creek!

My two cents....

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 AM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

My advice: Keep the big screen, and keep your eyes open for a better deal. If your diligent and patient, you'l be able to get a used setup for pennies on the dollar, even if its a Canadian dollar.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:52 AM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

No way! I wouldn't do that swap!

Listen to Marcel, you can find a better deal on some used equipment, or, you could be patient, save up and get new equipment. That is what I would do. Figure out what you will need and check out eBay. Some forum members have gotten some great deals there!

Mike
Old 07-27-2003, 01:16 AM   #5
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

noooooo waaaaayyyyyyyyyy. if you buy a 70 gallon setup NEW and know what to buy and where to buy it, you could setup a DREAM tank with 2000$. plus you cant switch channels when you dont want to see an algae bloom or something with an aquarium. i live in toronto and i learnt my lesson a few months ago. my moral is dont get greedy cuz there's tons of deals out there. with 2000 dollars, most of us can probably build an amazing 70 gallon. the way i see it, it comes down to:

400$ = tank + very nice stand
300$ = ehiem
300$ = lights + heater
150$ = flourite

and thats only 1150 dollars. still a lot of money, but so is your TV.
chinaboy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ain't no way I'd do that trade unless I was the one with the aquarium.

James
Old 07-27-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would not do that trade if all his aquarium stuff was brand new!! Like Chinaboy said, you COULD make a dream tank out of $2000!

-Tim
Old 07-27-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey....

You thought about selling your TV and starting from scratch?

Try LFS too...sometimes they have used tanks they will be willing to part with for a small fee.

Mike

Old 07-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I agree... if you are shopping for deals you could set up a new 125 gal planted tank for about $1000...

Tank $300
Stand $300
Lights $100
Filter $100
Plants & Substrate $100
Misc Tests Hoses etc $100

Although it is very easy to double that 8)
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:42 PM   #10
JMWhyte
Algae Grower

OK I'm going to go with the majority on this one. We just got a new house and I have the perfect spot for a 200 Gal. One of the LFS' has a 200G Oceanic on display so I'm going to see if they can order one in for me. Thanks for all the input... OH and last time I checked the Canadian $ was doing pretty good :lol:
Old 08-03-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
JMWhyte
Algae Grower

So much for going with the majority. I traded my TV for the tank and Man I'm so glad I did. I did take a week or so and went shopping for everything he gave me and I came up with a total price of just over $3600. I also looked at big screen TV's and found one way better than mine for $1700, also found a 42" plasma for $1900 wife would kill me though if I came home with a plasma. I am so pleased with how the tank turned out It took me about a day to get all the grunge and grime off of it but now it looks so AWESOME..... Now I just have to decide what kind of fish to put in it. I'm trying to decide between : cichlids or just a friendly tropical tank...... Even with only one Angel (came with the tank) in it I find myself sitting there for hours watching the tank. Imagine when I have it fully stocked.. hahaha I'm so gonna end up getting divorced over a fish aquarium.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #12
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

JM,

Any pics for us? We are all anxious to see it!!!

Mike

Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #13
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

One of my friends who horse-traded musical equipment from the age of about 12 always said a good deal is one where everybody's happy. He made an excellent living from it for about 30 years.

Enjoy your new tank!

James
Old 08-27-2003, 04:03 PM   #14
JMWhyte
Algae Grower

After this I'll be moving out of the equipment forum and into the fish forum as my new aquarium is now stocked and I don't plan on purchasing any new equipment for atleast one year (next summer).

As you can see in past posts I've made I now have a totally sweet 70 galon Hagen aquarium and stand. The stuff that came with it is amazing; enormous log ($100), aquarium vaccum with 50' hose and tap attachment, $180 worth of substrate (sweet red color), 2, ya I said two aqua clear 300 model filters, 3 silk Plants, and a few fish which I already had mates for in my 25 galon tropical tank.

So, now what I've stocked it with.

2 Electric yellow cichlids
2 Venustus cichlids
2 Oscars (one tiger and one albino)
2 Cobalt zebra cichlids
2 Jewel cichlids
1 incy bincy Jack Dempsey (LPS threw him in when I bought the jewels)
2 plecos
1 bumblebee catfish which I'd take out if I could find him one time when I've got the net out

So that's my new tank. I'm so happy that I decided to trade my 50" TV for it.

Even though I just said I wouldn't be buying any more equipment until next summer and wouldn't be posting here for a while I am pondering the thought of going wall to wall in my basement with tanks. So if I do I will definitely be here first asking any questions I may have about possible equipment purchases. Thanks for all your posts everyone........

Oh and I'll have some pics as soon as I get a new camera. A few weeks before I made the trade I dropped my cybershot in the bay so as soon as I get a new digicam or breakdown and buy a disposable camera I'll get some pics up for everyone to see.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:37 PM   #15
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWhyte
After this I'll be moving out of the equipment forum and into the fish forum as my new aquarium is now stocked and I don't plan on purchasing any new equipment for atleast one year (next summer).

As you can see in past posts I've made I now have a totally sweet 70 galon Hagen aquarium and stand. The stuff that came with it is amazing; enormous log ($100), aquarium vaccum with 50' hose and tap attachment, $180 worth of substrate (sweet red color), 2, ya I said two aqua clear 300 model filters, 3 silk Plants, and a few fish which I already had mates for in my 25 galon tropical tank.

So, now what I've stocked it with.

2 Electric yellow cichlids
2 Venustus cichlids
2 Oscars (one tiger and one albino)
2 Cobalt zebra cichlids
2 Jewel cichlids
1 incy bincy Jack Dempsey (LPS threw him in when I bought the jewels)
2 plecos
1 bumblebee catfish which I'd take out if I could find him one time when I've got the net out

So that's my new tank. I'm so happy that I decided to trade my 50" TV for it.

Even though I just said I wouldn't be buying any more equipment until next summer and wouldn't be posting here for a while I am pondering the thought of going wall to wall in my basement with tanks. So if I do I will definitely be here first asking any questions I may have about possible equipment purchases. Thanks for all your posts everyone........

Oh and I'll have some pics as soon as I get a new camera. A few weeks before I made the trade I dropped my cybershot in the bay so as soon as I get a new digicam or breakdown and buy a disposable camera I'll get some pics up for everyone to see.
Hmm. Where to start.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will need a new, larger tank well before next summer. That tank is heavily overstocked and your species mix is pretty incompatible. Just the two oscars by them selves when they reach adulthood are a pretty heavy load for a 70 gallon tank. Also, any plants you try to keep in this tank will be destroyed sooner or later. I keep two adult oscars in a 120 gal, and they simply will not leave plants (fake or real) alone. Some of the other species you mention are just as bad.

I would strongly recommend that you research your species. There is tons of information about each online.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote