GBRs Fans Unite! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #31
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
Are Rams diggers? I am really interested in getting a pair for my 20L but worried they will dig into the substrate.
From my experiences with them, they don't dig at all under normal circumstances. While breeding it is a possibility if they don't have any surfaces they want to lay eggs on (I use slate, but I have found mine laying eggs on the driftwood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko d View Post
Is it possible to tell the sex of these GBRs from this picture?

Judging by the pink belly the one on the right is a female, and the one on the left appears to be a male by the overall body shape, longer pelvic and anal fins (can vary), and the lack of blue spots in the black spot. Beautiful rams .
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
marko d
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks! The lack of the blue on the black spot had me hoping that it was a male.
marko d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #33
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Default GBRs Fans Unite!

Here are a couple shots from my 55g last fall, prior to some temperature issues that resulted in heavy casualties.

johnson18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #34
cobra
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

GBRs are my favorite FW fish. Here is a quartet that I used to have:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishes0024.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	86554  

cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #35
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

So sorry to hear about the lost fish, what temperature issues were you having?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #36
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Default GBRs Fans Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
So sorry to hear about the lost fish, what temperature issues were you having?

I was on vacation, the weather got cold and the gas was not turned on in my house so I had no heating. The tank heater just couldn't maintain the temp. Tank temps where dropping into the high 50's to mid 60's, only making it back up to the mid 70's during the day. The temps were not predicted to get that cold while I was away so I hadn't been too stressed about about turning the gas on to the house. Huge mistake on my part. Sucks, they were gorgeous fish. I will probably get some more soon.
johnson18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #37
boon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Just FYI chili rasboras will munch on the fries if it fits in its mouth. Just witness it right now.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #38
brogan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I love GBR and have tried to keep them several times in the past. Unfortuneatly the ones I bought from my LFS never lived more than a month. I had given up until I found a local seller who breeds them in Lake Michigan water. I bought 8 hoping that at least half would survive.... 6 months later all eight Rams are alive and healthy.

The Rams from Florida fish farms are riddled with hormones and disease. Homegrown is the only way to go!
brogan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #39
switch26
Algae Grower

I got my GBR and golden rams from a local place that raises all their own Rams of any type.. Only issue is most are only a month or 2 old so i had 1 die like 2 days after i got it for no reason.

Since then I had 5 total, One got a bad case of camallanus worms.. i had no idea what it was so i got ahold of Levamisole a day late so i wasn't able to save the host fish.

I did cure the other 2 hopefully.. In the midst of treating, 2 of my GBR spawned 2 days after i introduced the new female. The eggs didn't hatch cause the F'ing snails got into them..

Someone said that if they eggs were "ok" or fertilized properly the Rams wouldn't let the eggs get eaten by snails, but i call bs on that.. Has anyone succesfully bred Rams and had their eggs hatch in a tank that has a lot of Ramshorn snails? Just wondering because I will try to eliminate them if I can't spawn them otherwise.
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #40
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

I joined the club a couple days ago. Wanting to stock my tank with a couple rams, a couple kribs and a school of rasporas, maybe harlequins. I seen some kribs at my not so local fs and wanted them so bad but didnt want to drop $9 each for 3 or 4 of them since my tanks only been up for 3 weeks. So the next day I seen the rams on sale for $5 at petsmart. I just wanted fish in the tank, you know how it is, so I got 3 of them hoping I had a male and 2 females. They were very shy fish and are very easily spooked, at least the first 24 hours they were. But yesterday I noticed the male had a few mold looking spots growing on his side and anal fin. So I dosed some pimafix along with the melafix I always dose when adding fish and came home late last night to him dancing all around the tank and finally settled to rest, RIP. This moring I noticed the small one had the same growth above its eye and now I figure its an infection of some sort. So im thinking of returning the two and letting my tank run for a little longer and not buying any from petsmart, I just never get healthy fish from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	87842  

Drewsplantednutz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #41
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Interesting fact I read from a Dwarf Cichlids Book:

When the irridescent blue stripe that runs above the mouth disappears, the parents will stop herding the fry.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I just got my first pair (I hope). Can't tell if the male is a male for sure. But they've been hiding a lot and I can't get a good picture. Is it possible for me to also keep yellow rams with them in a 50 gallon?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #43
marko d
Algae Grower

Haven't seen anyone bring it up, but another thing about these I love is under my led 'moonlights', GBR look awesome. They get in the right angle of light and just light up.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #44
arbai89
Algae Grower

I am in the process of still learning and making the water more suitable for GBR.

had 3 but they didn't survive for more than a month.
now i have peat moss to lower the ph and temperature at around 78-80 with water changes every week (55 gallon)

is there anything else i am missing?

also how do i acclimate a 7.5 ish ph to a 6.5 ish ph (since some of these stores are 7.x ph)
arbai89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #45
marko d
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbai89
I am in the process of still learning and making the water more suitable for GBR.

had 3 but they didn't survive for more than a month.
now i have peat moss to lower the ph and temperature at around 78-80 with water changes every week (55 gallon)

is there anything else i am missing?

also how do i acclimate a 7.5 ish ph to a 6.5 ish ph (since some of these stores are 7.x ph)
I'm in the same boat! My tap water comes out at 8.4+
I havent received my kH and gH test kits yet.
My tank water is about 7.6 (with 2.0ppm ammonia!). I have heard that kH and gH can be more/equally important. I'm still learning about hardness,etc and what it takes to correct it. Looks like an RO unit may be in my future. Tired of adding stuff to my tank that I'm not sure whats in it! Including my water.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.