Should I panic about my new Embers not eating?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Aymo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Should I panic about my new Embers not eating?

I purchased 12 Ember Tetras for my 30gal planted tank two days ago (I'm going back in a week for 12 more, big school planned). My tank has been properly cycled and all the chemistry/bacteria is good right now. They share the tank with 4 panda cories (I am also getting two more next week).

I've watched them closely, and so far it seems like they haven't eaten anything since I bought them. I feed the pandas dissolving tablets that have both veggie and shrimp material, which those guys love. The Embers show little to no interest in the food that gets kicked up into a little cloud, but if they happen to grab a tiny piece, they always spit it back out!
The same thing goes for my flake food. I crush it up really well, and force some of it to sink near them since they won't swim to the top. They show very little interest, and anyone who eats a piece quickly spits it back out again.

This is totally weird for me, since I've kept several different kinds of freshwater fish over the years and have never seen this behavior. I know they were in my LFS for at least a month before I bought them, so they must have eaten regular aquairum food before, even if they are wild caught??

Does anyone have advice or experience with this?
Aymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Feed them either what the store was "really" getting them to eat, or feed them something like live brine shrimp(never met a small fish that would not eat those) until they can be weened to flake/tetra bits.

Live brine shrimp will keep in a shallow plastic food container with the lid off for up to a week so by a single portion or even a half portion if the store will do that.

oh and frozen foods sometimes will work also like frozen blood worms or daphnia.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I recently ordered ember tetras through an online vendor. When they arrived, the first thing I was able to get them to eat was Cyclop-eeze. After a few days of that, I started giving them frozen bloodworms. I use a knife to scrape the frozen cube to make the pieces small enough for them to eat. I tried flakes also, but the embers just let them fall to the bottom for the cories to eat.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

my embers largely ignored flake and micro pellets until they saw all my other fish swarm on the food during feeding time. it took about a week before they wised up and started to eat. They quickly learned that if they didnt eat during feeding time, they would go hungry for another 9 hours until the next feeding. Havent lost an ember yet
Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Aymo
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice everyone! Especially acitydweller -- it's good to know that yours took some time as well.

There have been holidays here so my LFS has been closed, but as soon as they reopen I'm calling to see what they were fed.
Aymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

you are quite welcome. just to give you an idea, when i first started feeding veggie flakes, none of the fish apart from the cardinals and endlers would eat them... after mixing up the diet into 7 varieties of flake and pellet foods, all fish now feed on everything that is fed. There is a period of adjustment, more so for fish who are either known to be finicky eaters or those who were raised on live foods...

For celestrial pearl danios, it wasnt until i introduced golden pearls and earth worm flakes that they considered other types of foods.

Be patient and also adjust feeding based on population and demand. Remember that this hobby should be a source of joy and not anguish