Pic of my 22 Gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-13-2002, 09:22 PM   #16
rdracer66
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to rdracer66 Send a message via Yahoo to rdracer66

So Home Depot and or Walmart are not goign to be any good ?
how pathetic is 1400 lumens in a 20g ?
I bought 2 bulbs from home depot the other nite for 5 $ each at 700 lumens each and 40w each
I coulndt really find anything higher
guess i should go look agian ?
rdracer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #17
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well.. The tank in the picture has 2 x 20 watt bulbs at 2700k each. Each bulb gives off 1200 Lumens at a CRI of 82 (pretty low).

You can probably get away with that ammount of light, but if you find something better at low cost, I would invest :-)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:05 PM   #18
Projekt107
Algae Grower

man your tank is really nice... (glances over at my tank) (then looks at your pic again) LOL man ur tank makes mine look so bare.. grow plants grow!!! :P
Projekt107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:09 PM   #19
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Ok i dont have my water specs yet ill have them in a few, but i re did the tank last week and put 1-2in of flourite in my 20gal i got the incadesant hood from a friend who wasnt using it anymore
and tried to find those bulbs for it
and these are 2 pics the plant bulbs i used for a week and they were very very hot and started to melt the hood, and the plants dont look like there doing to well, few have small holes in it and some are yellow and they just look like there starting to shrivel u p like t here not getting water or sometihng if it was a normal plant, i am using barbs to cycle the tan, the 2nd set of bulbs i bought yesterday from walmart, first bulbs are from home depot for 5$ each the walmart ones were 15$ for 2
any ideas guys how i can get decent light on this or something to thrive in there ?
if i can't get a 20 to work i have no idea how i'll get my 55 going that i really really want to try with discus
any info would be appreciated
Kurt
Old 08-18-2002, 09:12 PM   #20
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Old 08-18-2002, 09:13 PM   #21
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Old 08-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #22
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Ok all these are my specs for the 20g
5 tiger barbs 1 penguin 170 without bio wheel,1 5-15 gallon cheapo filter from walmart that was established in another tank for months, the lights i mentioned above on for about 6 hrs a day but for atleast 4-6hrs natural light (not direct)
i have about 2in of flourite and 1in of natural fine very fine gravel
these are the test results after one week of running and 24hrs after a 25% water change maybe thats too early or too much ? i'm use to doing 20-25% weekly on all my cichlid tanks
ammo-0
nitrite-0
nitrate 10-20 i have bad eye sight lol
ph- 7.4-7.6
now the gh and kh are wierd
acorrding to doc wellfish i put in one drop and if it doesnt t urn a certain color then its 1 well it kinda t urned that color after one drop on both kh and gh
but i went ahead and continued dropping till i saw a stronger finish color
and those results are gh-6 kh 7
thanks for any info !!!
on why i can't grow plants
even the java fern in there is growing a tad but just doesnt look healthy !!

Kurt
Old 08-22-2002, 02:55 PM   #23
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Those lights will probably do fine. I'd guess the color temperature of the bulb to be in the 3000K range from the last picture - but digital cams and jpgs are funny about portraying the right color.
The output and lumens could definitely be classified as "intense". At 60 watts each, you've got 6 watts per gallon. Algae will be prolific very quickly if those nitrates don't come down.

I think you're doing well on water changes and the overall setup. I'd make one major recommendation right now - more plants. Fast growers like Hygro and Saggitaria will consume those nitrates before algae can take hold.

Above all - be patient. Plants can grow insanely fast, but it takes time for them to settle in, take root and really start utilizing the nutrients that are available.

The Leaf Zone stuff you got is probably fine. Some supplements are better than others, but almost all of them supply the basics.

Have you set up a DIY Yeast reactor yet to supply some CO2?
Old 08-22-2002, 03:00 PM   #24
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

rdracer, to be honest - I would take out one of those bulbs. 60 watts will be plenty for that 20 gallon tank. At least for now, anyway. That is far too much heat for a small plastic hood. My metal hood is 4 feet long with two 60 watt bulbs in it and even I needed to add a fan to keep things cool and extend bulb life.

Take one bulb out - think about adding a fan. I found some 120VAC 60Hz fans on Ebay for $5 a piece. Radio Shack has them for about $20. Mount it to the side of the hood and drill holes for ventilation. Need to keep air moving over those bulbs!

You're giving them light, and nutrient levels seem to be adequate - try the DIY CO2 reactor and see if that doesn't spur some growth!
Old 08-22-2002, 05:56 PM   #25
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply, GDominy has 40 watts on his and he didnt mention how much of a heat problem he has or doesnt have ? since those last few posts i bought marathon lights from phillips that look the same as those white ones
they put 1500 lumens out at 23 w supposedly simulates 90w and have 2 in there, as far as fans go i do have a few computer fans that im not using that i might be able to get in there, I'm thinking of tossing all this idea tho and havign a friend build me a small canopy hood for it and then i could possibly put 3 small strip lights in there ? . This realy is just supposed to be a experimental tank
to see if i can grow plants at all, I really want to get a 55g going that ih ave ready whenever and put some nice rainbows and discus in it, but i wanted to wait to see if i could do it with a 20g first, and i know i need to be more patient but if i can't get a small 20 going how am i suppose to get a 55g going even tho i do have a strip ligth with 2 48in bulbs that i can use but the highest wattage i've seen on those is 40w so thats 80 watts total which is less than 1.5w per gallon
guess i should just wait it out and see what happens, maybe i am doing something right last nite i was looking int he tank and my first plant i bought was a sword even tho i knew i shoulndt have and it so i thought eventually died and i pulled off all the leaves from the bottom and last nite i noticed 2 small leaves starting to grow. Also no algae growth yet what so ever.

Kurt
Old 08-22-2002, 05:58 PM   #26
rdracer66
Algae Grower

O and as far as co2 goes i'd like to stay away from that if at all possible
just more stuff to do, I have enough work keeping all my cichlid tanks clean and doing well

Kurt
Old 08-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #27
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Think i should cut the plants i have to the bottom since it appears they are dying
or just leave them be ?

Kurt
Old 08-22-2002, 06:23 PM   #28
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Well, to start off - if you really want to restrict yourself to a tank that has only incidentary CO2 levels (absorbed from the atmosphere) you'll probably only see 3-4ppm at the most. You won't need more than 20W on that 20gal tank without CO2. The additional light will only fuel the growth of algae, rather than provide additional or faster plant growth.

The computer fans are most likely 12V so you'll need a transformer to run them off of 120Vac. Building that hood sounds like a good idea, but then again, putting off the major work until you start the 55g is an even better idea.
On a 55g, you have a ton of flexibility. It's four feet long, so you could fit four of the 40watt 48" bulbs you mentioned. That would provide 2.9watts per gallon which is absolutely perfect for a planted tank with CO2.
As for your plants, don't clip until new growth appears. Clipping the dying leaves will just speed the plant's demise. I've seen some plants come back from just roots and a crown, with no living leaves, but its rare. You need to try and provide the nutrients the plants need before they completely wither, or replace them with new plants.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:33 PM   #29
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Well I know everyone says co2 diy is so easy, but to be honest i dont have that much free time these days plus no where to really hid the bottles, and how do u monitor how much goes in when it's setup like tha twth the 2 pop bottles
Old 08-22-2002, 07:18 PM   #30
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Let's continue this Here so that everyone can benefit from the discussion.