Crs tank ph
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

Crs tank ph

I just checked the ph of my CRS tank. It's 7.4. Should I lower it? I've never played around with it before. Any suggestions? Thanks
Fdsh5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Are they breeding for ya? If so, don't mess with anything. If not, you may want to play with the params.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

I have 3 berried females right now. I have no idea how many babies because I never move things around in there and there are way too many hiding places. I was just wondering if the ph was okay. It's honestly the first time I've ever checked it and the tank has been going over a year
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It's not in the ideal range, no. They usually like a lower pH in the 5-6.8 range.

With that said, some people have lucky raising them in a higher pH. As Soothing said, if they are doing ok, don't mess with it. The best way to lower pH is active substrate + RO water and that means tearing your tank apart, buying jugs of RO or getting an RO machine, etc. Also, what is your end goal, just to have nice CRS in a tank and if you get some babies and they are self sustaining, fine or breeding and getting the max out of them you can.

Since there are lots of hiding spots, I assume it's planted well and it's a nice planted tank with some shrimp?

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

It's a 20 gallon with tons of java moss and subwassertang. I have a huge piece of cholla wood they love to hang out in too. I'm not really looking to pump out the babies, I just live the look of an overloaded shrimp tank
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well since your tank is setup, for now, I guess just look and watch and see if you get babies and no major deaths. You may get lucky and the water is soft enough, or you got some stronger-than-normal gene shrimp that can handle the bit different water.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

Do you think if I did a 50% water change and added only RO water it would help? Maybe some alder cones too
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Depends on the pH of the RO water. The RO I get at Walmart is 6.4 so yes, if you did a 50% change with something like that it would lower it down But I wouldn't do such a heavy change if it's just to lower the pH. I'd do a couple of 10-20% changes per week for a couple of weeks to drop it down. Alder cones and IAL are reported to have pH lowering capabilities due to the tannins but I sure haven't seen them do anything in my tanks but I also don't use a ton of them. You'd probably have to add quite a bit to get affects from it and of course when the tannins stop leeching out the pH would go right back up.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

The pH of RO/DI water doesn't matter so much, as there's no carbonate in the water to buffer it at any set point.

Whats your GH/KH?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

No clue. I have to buy a test kit. I'm running to the fish store any how. So I'll just pick one up.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

How long has the tank been setup. If they have been going good for some time I don't see any need to start messing with stuff.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

It's been up and running for almost 2 years. I just added the crystal reds in with the yellows less than 6 months ago. So far I've only seen 2 surviving babies. That's what has me wondering what is going on. To be honest, I never check any water. I change all my fish tanks every 1 or 2 weeks depending what fish and my shrimp tank I only do a 30% change once a month.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

When it comes to sensitive critters like shrimp - even when you're 100% confident in your abilities - it's often best to have a handle on parameters by testing every week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdsh5 View Post
It's been up and running for almost 2 years. I just added the crystal reds in with the yellows less than 6 months ago. So far I've only seen 2 surviving babies. That's what has me wondering what is going on. To be honest, I never check any water. I change all my fish tanks every 1 or 2 weeks depending what fish and my shrimp tank I only do a 30% change once a month.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

I would up the water changes, as babie survival is tied to good clean water, stable conditions and the right conditions. As well as feeding some baby food. I do water changes weekly, sometimes bi weekly if I feel I need to. PH is a bit high though that might be a baby survival issue as well
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

lower grade crs can handle the higher ph better than the higher grades i belive. ive had my crs (a-s grade) breed in water that had a ph of 7.4. didnt have alot survive but they did breed. so i say if it is working stay with what you are doing but if you want to get into higher grade or more picky shrimp i would think about ro water and a buffering substrate
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caked