Microdevario Kubotai, Green neon rasbora
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Adam T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Microdevario Kubotai, Green neon rasbora

Does anyone have long term experience with this fish? I recently bought 50 for my tank (65 hi tec). Tank has been running for about two months. Tank mates are ottos, pygmy corys, variety of shrimp, and three german rams.

I was worried about the rams at first but they really are wusses. I have a male and two females and they're not concerned about anything but each other. They dont mess with the shrimp at all and they completely igonore the rasboras. Its funny, they seem happier now that I have switched to micro foods like cyclops, baby brine, and daphnia.

Back to the rasboras, The group seems like theyre doing great. I lost 1 out of the approx 50-60 I bought (the guy at the store lost count at some point). They colored up over night and look bright green with a blue sheen. My water is 6.6 ph 76-78 F during the day 74 F at night.

Any insights in to keeping this beautiful little fish is appreciated.

Name:  microdevario_kubotai_1.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  37.4 KB
Adam T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've only seen them in a planted tank at a LFS, but they appear to like fast-flowing water.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Adam T
Algae Grower

I noticed that when I added an additional powerhead the rasboras started schooling very tightly and seemed to have a little more "pep in their step". It was hard to find information about the streams and floodplains they originate from, but I finally came across an account of a collection trip to Thailand/ Myanmar that contained some mention of this species. Based on that info I adjusted a few things (mostly the increased flow as my ph and temp were already spot on) and the fish all seem to be thriving. I've had them for four days now and I only lost one, the rest are all fully colored and active feeders. Once I start seeing some spawning behavior I will probably set up a 10 gallon in my office and put a small group in with some crypts and mosses to see if I can get some fry.
Adam T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've always wanted a species tank with >20 fish...
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote