Birth and life of the Aquaman Cave.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Birth and life of the Aquaman Cave.

Credit for this journal goes to cableguy. He asked for it in my build thread, so here it is. Credit for the name goes to Michael over at APC for cleverly calling the room an (aqua)man cave. The room's a semi-finished but well wired basement on a slab. The poor floor is really old and uneven, but it's a slab and that's what counts the most.

Here's what it looked like in the very beginning back in July. The two tanks were smack in the middle of the room on some old, but sturdy, handmade stands. This view is facing from the utility portion of the basement.

Look at all that usable space!

9:00 on the morning on Friday 8.23 after the crew came and moved the new stands, small tank and stand, and other big tank and stand (in a different pic). The tank on the left will be a reef and has had its stand switched to fit it better. The rest of the tanks will eventually be planted. The metal stands are 6" shorter than the wood ones. In addition, there's not support joist taking up space so there's quite a bit more room to get into the tanks.

The 220 on the wall opposite the utility room.

Evening of 8.23-

Old stand #1- Freshwater workbench and top-off barrel. The barrel's eventually going to be recessed into the stand and plumbing will be run along the ceiling to allow easy topping off with just the turning of a valve.

Old stand #2- Saltwater workbench and quarantine tank stand. Another 50 gallon barrel will be recessed into this one for salt mixing.

Another view of SW workbench-

8.24-

Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink. Moving the stands freed up the center of the room for 150 gal stock tanks. The two in the center will be combination FW quarantine and water aging tanks. Because I'm on a well I can't do massive (300+ gallon) water changes without burning out the pump and dumping a lot of cold water into the tanks. The plan is to use these for water changes then refill gradually over the week. The stock tank on the left will be the sump and refugium for the 60 reef. The mowing folks came on Friday so they're all covered in grass clippings. I washed off as much as I could then figured it would just be best to let it dry and wipe off later.

8.25-

6'x4' frame for the SW stock tank to go on. I've got to wait for a friend to help move it around so I can put a sheet of plywood on top. Trying to move a 2x4 frame with a 6'x8' sheet of plywood onto the workbench to trim the excess is a little ungainly to say the least. Two sets of hands will make it much easier.

Tank on frame. The black tote resting on the tank is going to be an algae turf scrubber. A separate raised shelf will be made to support both the ATS and skimmer. Both will be fed by a pump and will drain into the sump. The area under the shelf will be a cryptic refugium full of rock. The plan is to have a lit portion as well to house filter feeders like Gorgonians that will get too big for the shallow SPS/LPS reef.

Cleaned and scaped 60g. The picture doesn't show the rockwork off to its best, but it gives the general idea. The big rock is actually 14 inches away from the front glass.

Since someone asked (sorry I can't remember who), yes, a separate reef build thread will be going up on RC eventually.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 08-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

That look like so much fun!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It has been so far. My friends are mad at me for not returning their calls or messages as I've been too busy working on this.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'll admit that I only looked at the pictures, so forgive me if you addressed this, but how will you avoid humidity problems in the future with all that water and no windows or vents!
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

there are windows.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

RWaters,

There's a dehumidifier in the adjacent room. I plan on leaving the door open to take advantage of that as well as keeping the room on the cool side. All that light and warm water is going to keep it nice and toasty in there. Probably moreso than the corals will like.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)

Good to see you back up and running Phil. You were one of my heroes several years ago when I was getting into all of this. I don't come on the forum often anymore, but was surprised to come back and find you were up and running (or soon to be) again.

I loved the Hoh tanks and was really looking forward to the Journey tank. I am already checking in more often just to check up on your new setups.
yikesjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

oh thats a nice one!
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jason,

Thank you for the kind words, they're appreciated. I enjoyed watching your progress as well. I was looking forward to the progress of the Hoh tanks and the Journey/225 as well but life decided to get all squirrley on me and plans changed. Here's a pic of the 225 near the time of its demise, just for you.

Now that life's looking like it'll be stable for the foreseeable future and I've got the resources, I'm going forward with this whole room project. It sure is nice having a storage building full of old aquarium stuff to pilfer. If I were having to pay for all this out of pocket things would be a lot different.

Izabella,

Thank you very much.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I've been reading the other thread often so going to subscribe to this journal. I can't wait to see the progress of these tanks. They are going to be grand, excited for you!
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you peachii.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Any room updates there Phil?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

And now I have another thread to follow. Nice one man. I love seeing rooms come together like this. All the little details that go with huge builds are the best part. And I will be checking on that RC thread too.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Any updates?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm, updates? Yeah, the room's a royal mess right now. It seems that one thing after another has delayed both the 300 build and progress in the room overall, not the least of which was total loss of momentum waiting for things to get moved. We should all see some significant changes early in the new year after getting Christmas $$$.