_Dosing Regimes_ - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #16
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

looked in both solution bottles. Roughly 1 month unrefrigerated, inside of white bottle still perfectly white - no algae.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #17
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley
Craig - I'm sure this is kidstuff for all you dry dosers out there, but would you mind posting the levels your recommended doses will raise the levels of a given macro/micro? For instance (I'll show my dry fert ignorance here)...

Tank's (1)
20~40gal
+/-1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week - raises K by X ppm, N by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek - raises K by X ppm, P by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week - raises K by X ppm
+/-5ml Trace 3x a week - unknown
+/-1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week - raises Fe by X ppm

What we are ultimately providing is macros/micros and having a corresponding understanding of the impact of the added would be great - at the very least an understanding of macro/micro uptake rates. Thanks.

Actually, google the Fertilator (won't provide link since its from another forum). That thing will calculate ppm from dry or wet ferts based on tank size.

Marcel, I may try the drop of chlorine...the wierd thing is I think my tap water is chock full of it already (it smells like a swimming pool and taste's like a$$--ever tried Potomic River water ?).

When I was conducting my research I sowed my seeds and grew the seedlings in hydroponic solutions (Rorison's) and we always added about 2 mL of 10% HCl and refrigerated it.

Maybe I got a bad batch of Plantex??? Actually, I don't mind the frequent mixing...the woman calls me the "mad scientist" whenever I break out the graduated cylinder, DI water and some random powder!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #18
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon
Quick question? On tank 1 you suggest dosing iron in addition to the traces. On tank 2 and 3 you don't? Is there a reason for that?

Rick
Hello Rick, thank's for the question, sorry about that, was just a slight over-sight on my part, I have it edited and fixed now.

When a tank is running good, clean, being dosed as prescribed, plant's are growing well, Iron/Fe is a luxury, not a necessity, although it does add a nice sparkle to the tank/plants, if you do not have iron but feel the need to dose it, just add more Trace

Last edited by WfxXx; 10-12-2005 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: typo of course
WfxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #19
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

Thumbs up Buck, Marcel.

Thanks you guy's,
You have alway's rocked in my book!
You mod's do a great service to the community, all of you! (although, some of those stray p0rn link's can't get deleted fast enough at time's. Ha) and all of you are much appreciated!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #20
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger

Maybe I got a bad batch of Plantex??? Actually, I don't mind the frequent mixing...the woman calls me the "mad scientist" whenever I break out the graduated cylinder, DI water and some random powder!!
Ed,
Maybe the DI water is what is causing you trouble with you're mix, I use straight tap, in old flourish bottle's and have never had an issue with mold,
I bet if you use tap on you;re next mix it may solve you're issue as well.
I dare ya to try it

Although I also have an RO/DI unit, thought has never crossed my mind to use it for that, I do however use it for my bubble counter.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #21
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

Steve,
I have found/read this NFO somewhere along the way at one time or another, I will try to dig it up again, and post it just for you buddy!
Just so you know, for instance, Fe, is not an easy thing to test for in such small amount's, so, you will be wise in my book, not to get to bound by number's/test kit reading's, I have found that most people that get into trouble with their tank's with algae's of one form or another are relying to much on a number/$10 test kit, while their +/-$1000-Tank/plant's suffer...

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley
Craig - I'm sure this is kidstuff for all you dry dosers out there, but would you mind posting the levels your recommended doses will raise the levels of a given macro/micro? For instance (I'll show my dry fert ignorance here)...

Tank's (1)
20~40gal
+/-1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week - raises K by X ppm, N by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek - raises K by X ppm, P by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week - raises K by X ppm
+/-5ml Trace 3x a week - unknown
+/-1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week - raises Fe by X ppm

What we are ultimately providing is macros/micros and having a corresponding understanding of the impact of the added would be great - at the very least an understanding of macro/micro uptake rates. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #22
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Thanks Craig. I think you just made a very good, and gentle, point. But to put a sharper point on it, I might rephrase is as "a little knowledge can get you in a lot of trouble". And we all know that's right. So, if I may, I'd like retract the request for the additional info. Here's why...

As a sticky to be used by the dry fert novice, this is a outstanding information tool as it stands now. You're knowledge of good dosing regimens is testified to, for all to see, in your tanks. They are among the very best! So I suspect that the info you are providing here should be taken at face value - just plain followed. For those seeking more knowledge, they can go seek it in places like the Fertilator or Chuck Gadd's mixing calculator, but they do that at the risk of straying from a tried and true path.

No, I think your sticky may best serve the dosing novice audience by keeping the info just as it is now.

Last edited by scolley; 10-15-2005 at 02:51 PM..
scolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
BobWu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tank's (3)
For a 60~80gal
50%H20 change
+/-3/4Tsp KN03 3x a week
+/-1/4Tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/-1/8+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/-15ml Trace 3x a week
+/-4-8ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

1/4 Tsp Kh2po4 will add 3.46ppm Phosphate to 80 gallon of water, or 4.61ppm to 60 gallon. I think the EI recommended level is 1-3ppm???
BobWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:38 AM   #24
rrguymon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx

When a tank is running good, clean, being dosed as prescribed, plant's are growing well, Iron/Fe is a luxury, not a necessity, although it does add a nice sparkle to the tank/plants, if you do not have iron but feel the need to dose it, just add more Trace

Thanks a bunch. I have some extra iron. I think I will give it a try. Great sticky by the way. Great place to start when doesing.

Rick
Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 AM   #25
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
I know Sulphur is covered by the K2SO4 many use for dosing, but is it necessary to add it to the above items in conjunction with Flourish or TMG, or should "average" tapwater contain enough of sulphur to keep plants happy?
Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm dosing with what I believe to be a pretty darn good translation of the numbers from the first post in my 29, with the sulphur obviously being lower, and the K+ from KCl being a little fuzzy. Is there anything at all to the SO4, or is it just filler and an easy way to get more K+ into solution?

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #26
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you Bob,

This why I have the +/- before each amount, for the number conscious individual that need's the crunch...
Those number's are in fact a good starting point, for any individual wanting to get a good feel for dosing the EI on his/her tank within the range's specified.

Dosing precise amount's/tweaking (+/-), based on volume specified within each tank/s size catagory is entirely up to said individual.

Personally I think that the EI recommended number of 1-3 is being modest, even 5ppm P04 is not bad, and the plant's do not seem to mind it either.
I have ran 5+ppm P04 on tank's to see the result's for myself, tested with cheap kit's mind you, but they were accurate enough.
I did not see any adverse effect with a P04 reading of 5ppm, although 2ppm, 3ppm is good, 4ppm or 5ppm, is not bad.
I will do some more testing on this and post result's but my finding's so far are, very clean plant's and tank with an average 3~5ppm P04 while also maintaining a moderate level of KN03, K+ & Trace's, with highlight, C02 injection.

Actually the only downside I found, was being a bit wasteful on the KH2P04 being dosed, and some have high level's of Phosphate in thier tap water, while it is still not recommended to use Phosphate sponges, remover's absorber's, etc.
However I am not recommending people run 5ppm P04 on their tank, the +/- is thier for my protection also that is for the individual that feel's the need to tweak his/her tank parameter's, those number's are average dosage's and a good starting point for people.

Maybe Tom will pop in and give his opinion on this also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWu
Tank's (3)
For a 60~80gal
50%H20 change
+/-3/4Tsp KN03 3x a week
+/-1/4Tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/-1/8+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/-15ml Trace 3x a week
+/-4-8ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

1/4 Tsp Kh2po4 will add 3.46ppm Phosphate to 80 gallon of water, or 4.61ppm to 60 gallon. I think the EI recommended level is 1-3ppm???

Last edited by WfxXx; 10-13-2005 at 11:25 PM..
WfxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #27
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

Ogsy,
I will do my best to have all those answer's for you by this weekend, I have been digging around on the sulfur NFO and so far I have found nothing noting that it is a "needed" nutrient, I believe that therer is some "S" in dGh of our tap water, and Seachem root tabs also have lots of "S" in them.
I will continue to dig out this info for you.

How are you plant's resonding to the KCI, Fleet and greenlight you are providing for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm dosing with what I believe to be a pretty darn good translation of the numbers from the first post in my 29, with the sulphur obviously being lower, and the K+ from KCl being a little fuzzy. Is there anything at all to the SO4, or is it just filler and an easy way to get more K+ into solution?

Oqsy
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #28
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

I added an RTF/Rich Text File, (wordpad) for you're downloading pleasure on main page at bottom, very handy for keeping track of dosing, especially if you have more than one tank, if you need it and want to use it, Please help yourself!

Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #29
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Thank you Bob,

This why I have the +/- before each amount, for the number conscious individual that need's the crunch...
Those number's are in fact a good starting point, for any individual wanting to get a good feel for dosing the EI on his/her tank within the range's specified.
Dosing precise amount's/tweaking, based on volume specified within each tank/s size catagory is entirely up the said individual

Personally I think that the EI recommended number of 1-3 is being modest, even 5ppm P04 is not bad, and the plant's do not seem to mind it either.
I have ran 5+ppm P04 on tank's to see the result's for myself, tested with cheap kit's mind you, but they were accurate enough.
I did not see any adverse effect with a P04 reading of 5ppm, although 2ppm, 3ppm is good, 4ppm or 5ppm, is not bad.
I will do some more testing on this and post result's but my finding's so far are, very clean plant's and tank with an average 3~5ppm P04 while also maintaining a moderate level of KN03, K+ & Trace's, with highlight, C02 injection.

Actually the only downside I found, was being a bit wasteful on the KH2P04 being dosed, and some have high level's of Phosphate in thier tap water, while it is still not recommended to use Phosphate sponges, remover's absorber's, etc.
However I am not recommending people run 5ppm P04 on their tank, the +/- is thier for my protection also that is for the individual that feel's the need to tweak his/her tank parameter's, those number's are average dosage's and a good starting point for people.

Maybe Tom will pop in and give his opinion on this also...
My tap water naturally has 5+ ppm PO4 and no issues...less dosing too
Old 10-13-2005, 03:50 PM   #30
GraFFix
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just a quick question...

When you are dosing, I see most everything is 3X a week. Do you guys dose different things on different days? Or is it ok to just does everything at once? basically I dose but im not on any type of schedule. I do try to do it every other day, but having such a high light tank Ive been noticing I could be doing better with dosing.

Just wondering if there any any downsides to dosing all at once or alternating dosing for different days? Like trace's/Iron on monday, KN03 and P04 on tues, traces/iron wed..etc
I mean it would be simpler to just does everything at once 3x a week. But im not sure if thats the best plan...I downloaded that text file and will be using it to get a schedule down. hopefully the greenspot will go away once i get things organized

thanks for the post and the text file