Shrimplock Holmes: A mystery needs to be solved...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
sugarbyte
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Shrimplock Holmes: A mystery needs to be solved...

Hey everyone.
I apologize because I know this type of question gets asked a lot. I'm having a different type of problem. I'm hoping to get some input to solve this mystery..

I have a 6.6 gallon fluval edge. Heavily planted.
No dosing at the moment except flourish tabs, no co2. My tank is almost 2 years old. I haven't had any problems with it and I've always had shrimp.

About a month ago I purchased 3 amano shrimp and a nerite. I drip acclimated them over the period of a few hours. They were happy and fine since then but now my amanos seem to have completely disappeared.
I know my fish couldn't have eaten them (mosquito rasbora). My RCS colony is healthy and thriving so it can't be copper or poor water quality (I do weekly wc. I've never had water quality issues in my tank). Is there something that amanos are more sensitive to that could have caused them to die? Or am I just really unlucky in losing a few shrimp? Could it be related to the breeder who sells them?

My nerite is doing fine, happily chowing down on some algae.

I've searched every nook and cranny because i know these guys are great at hiding. Still couldn't find any.

I'm very persistent and looking to solve this mystery.. I've checked my hob filter (they're known to be escape artists).. I've checked around my tank for some stranded shrimps.. nothing!

I've heard that some things will kill some shrimps but not others? When most people have shrimp die offs it's right after or within 2 weeks of tank introduction. Are amanos sensitive to anything particular?

Thanks for any ideas, experience or input. I really appreciate it!
sugarbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

water parameters would help im sure that will be the first thing asked by other members. i have never kept amanos befor so not sure
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
sugarbyte
Planted Member

Of course! I test my water regularly and have never had problems. I'll test it again just to be sure and post the results shortly.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

If your cherries aren't suffering any losses, you could have just gotten some Amano shrimp that were weak and weren't up to the journey and new acclimation. Also don't count out that they are hiding. I know you've looked, but I have 3 in a 5.5 gallon and sometimes can't find them for a while.

The other option to not count out is that they jumped out and walked much farther than just around the tank.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Amano's are pretty hearty I would say they are hiding, but if you have looked good and haven't seen them. Then they probaly died. I have 15 amano's and had them for 6 months.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Soft water doesnt do them well either.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
sugarbyte
Planted Member

It's not impossible that my cats had a tasty treat if they found something wet and wriggly on the floor. It's strange because it's not like I had 2... then eventually 1. All 3 are missing. I'm almost convinced they bailed and got a last minute trip to Cabo. (it's been -40C here.. I wouldn't blame them)

Considering the tank's design I'm curious to know how they'd climb over the opening though..
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

They could have just flipped themselves out.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

They are crafty ones. One jumped out of my husband's Spec V (lid on) and after it had been missing for more than an hour we found it had made it's way out, down a file cabinet, across about 8 feet of carpet and 3 feet of linoleum. All while avoiding 2 cats and us walking around the area.

It was a little crunchy but after a few hours back in a different tank it somehow survived despite what appeared to be severe mental trauma.

It's perfectly normal now and even gets berried.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
They are crafty ones. One jumped out of my husband's Spec V (lid on) and after it had been missing for more than an hour we found it had made it's way out, down a file cabinet, across about 8 feet of carpet and 3 feet of linoleum. All while avoiding 2 cats and us walking around the area.

It was a little crunchy but after a few hours back in a different tank it somehow survived despite what appeared to be severe mental trauma.

It's perfectly normal now and even gets berried.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
Holy cow! That's one tough shrimp.
My $ is on the fact that they pulled a Houdini on you.
Fdsh5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
rrastro
Planted Member

I have one amano in a 20G and I never see it. Then yesterday I was cleaning the sponge in the HOB filter and I looked into the gap beneath the sponge and there it was. I have a sponge over the intake of the filter as well so it must have flipped up the stream of the output and swam down to the bottom of the unit.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

They're a shrimp that doesn't reproduce (In freshwater). There's a chance -- however small -- they were just old stock. Shrimp are usually just devoured if they die, so you may never even have seen them.

What does the inside of your tank look like?

A funny note.. In moving my tanks, I had stones fall on a shrimp. I moved the stone, and hours later a shrimp popped out. I don't know how he survived squished against the substrate, but shrimp can live in a lot of places. So your search may not have found anybody, but there's a chance they're around. When you feed next time, watch carefully for who comes out. They love to take a piece and run back to hiding.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Could be hiding. My one shrimp tank with only some moss on dw, looks like it has about 15 shrimp in at any time. I feed, out comes another 150.

I was moving tanks around, and took down a 12" cube tank, not big, no places to hide. Drained the water to 2" to keep the bit of moss alive in it, put it aside in the dark for a week, filled with untreated tap water just to start it again soon, treated the water, turned on the light a few days later, say a CRS baby. Started looking, saw a few more. Pulled 17 babies that lives in 2" of water with no filter, in the dark for a week in a tank that I thought was empty.

Shrimp are sneaky and hide a lot. If you tank is planted, amanos can blend right in. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote