90g SA river scape (prob 56k warning needed) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #46
jamntoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
I always liked dwarf sag. Grows nicely but not super duper weedy for me. I hear that DHG can also be used in lower maintenance tanks.

Lowest maintenance plant EVER though has gotta be C. parva. Even in high tech, that thing does not get trimmed.....or really do much. It lives, but it just grows so slowlyyyyyyyyyy.
i've had parva, and that is definately true, it is like a fake plant it's so easy. alas i'm not really too interested in parva because for the space i'm filling it's too small height wise, i'm hoping for something in the 4-5" ish range so the fish can hide in it etc. and it would be to expensive to fill a larger area up with it. all the places near me only give you a tiny little bit for like 5 bucks, i'm not down with that. if i could buy a little bit and have it carpet out i could probably find a use for it, but as is i don't need it.
dhg, maybe. i've got a little bit in my quarantine tank that REFUSES to die. seriously, i've replanted a million times. still popping up. i could grab what i can out of there and maybe another pot or 2 from the lfs and put it in the front middle-right side, but i want something taller for the left.
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #47
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Really NICE tank!!!

I didn't see any specs on the lighting and filter setup, can you tell us what you are running?
the light i have is a sun blaster 54w t5ho, which i have no complaints about. and my mom works at a gardening store so i get it on discount right now i don't have a reflector or anything but i plan to add one soon.

for filtration i have a fluval 404 which will be permanent and a fluval u4 that i have in there temporarily until i'm satified that the 404 is totally able to deal with the nitrification and everything. the bio load that i had the 404 running on wasn't as high as it is now so i just want to be on the safe side. both are active and cycled filters though just to be clear. i may look into picking up another second hand cannister after i get rid of the u4 so i can keep it all nice and clean

Last edited by jamntoast; 02-14-2013 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #48
jamntoast
Planted Member

Little fish pic dump.
Here's two of my keyholes

here is one of the tetras schooling up a bit

And here is a pic of the tetras at night, I've got a green led moonlight over top
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #49
jamntoast
Planted Member

Made some small changes to the tank. I've grouped the wendtii all on the right and attached some of the nana to some rocks and placed around the larger rock pile to spread it out a little and expose the rock more. Here's pics.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #50
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

I really enjoy seeing the Anubias nana petite, so green against the substrate and the Crypts!

Good luck!
Justin

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #51
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

This is looking really good toast (may I call you toast?).

What are your thoughts on backgrounds?

What is the big sunken thing on the left?
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
jamntoast
Planted Member

For a background I plan to just tape some black poster board to the back. I've been meaning to do this for a bit now, I've got the poster board and the tape, just lazy/busy. The black thing on the left side is an internal filter, it's just temporary. I'll propably pull it out soon.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #53
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

LOOKING VERY GOOD!!!

Very natural looking tank! Is this a 48" wide tank?

Keep it up!
Drew

p.s. Thanks for the info on your hardware!!
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #54
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
LOOKING VERY GOOD!!!

Very natural looking tank! Is this a 48" wide tank?
sure is.

I've made some changes! Here is the fts.

Here is the right side, I moved my rubin up to the fore ground to hide the base of the amazon swords a bit

and here is the left side, I moved one of the amazon swords from the right back into the corner here. It feels a little crowded but it feels a bit more natural. We'll see. I'll prob want to change it in a week.

Pls forgive my grainy and cloudy photography.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #55
jamntoast
Planted Member

Ps. Say hi to my cat Sophia, who is also a fish enthusiast
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #56
jamntoast
Planted Member

I added a black poster board background, and it actually looks a ton better I think. Here is the better new fts with the background
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #57
esteban
Algae Grower

Looking great! It's really come together nicely. Are all the val original, or has it started to spread? Wondering if you find that it spreads along the back (following the glass) or does it send runners out in every direction?
esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #58
tankluvr

Hey beautiful tank! Came across this thread while looking for info about sand substrates. Did you end up doing the soil/sand combo? Looks like it is working out well for you.
tankluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #59
Darth Toro
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Great looking flora and fauna!! I really like the layout and I'm sure the fish love it. Still no cories in there though? Your tank could use a good school of some Sterbai cories perhaps. Cories are one of my favorite to keep. Maybe even try Albinos the white would contrast nice in there.
Nikon Pimp #081
Darth Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #60
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankluvr View Post
Hey beautiful tank! Came across this thread while looking for info about sand substrates. Did you end up doing the soil/sand combo? Looks like it is working out well for you.
Thanks, I did end up doing soil and sand, I really love having a soil substrate when it comes to the nutrition and what not of the plants. I just throw down a couple inches or soil and cap it with sand. I could prob do it a better way like mineralized top soil but I'm lazy.
One of the only big down sides about soil is that if you are like me, you will probably rearrange a few things semi often and it really messes up the tank. Especially with swords etc with a root system that pretty much spans the tank. It can be really infuriating. And if anyone has any tricks for keeping the mess down I'd love to hear em. I'm actually planning on changing a few things up right away.

Tags
bolivian ram, dirt, geophagus, keyhole