90g SA river scape (prob 56k warning needed) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
bradlgt21
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think it looks chaotic because the background is light collored there is no contrast. If you painted the background black it would make contrast from the background and plants. I know my planted tank always looks empty because of the background so it would probably look really good on your tank. Since your tank is already filled try the tape on stuff to see how you like it. I still prefer paint as there are no imperfections present but that means taking the fish out and stuff so thats a big chore.
bradlgt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #32
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlgt21 View Post
I think it looks chaotic because the background is light collored there is no contrast. If you painted the background black it would make contrast from the background and plants. I know my planted tank always looks empty because of the background so it would probably look really good on your tank. Since your tank is already filled try the tape on stuff to see how you like it. I still prefer paint as there are no imperfections present but that means taking the fish out and stuff so thats a big chore.
no doubt its a big chore haha, i just put my black neons in yesterday and it took me prob an 45 minutes to catch em all and get them moved, not to mention the little keyholes which are surprisingly fast when they get spooked. no way i'd do that again soon if i can help it. i have some black poster board i've been meaning to tape on the back but it's awkward and i'm lazy, so it just has been sitting on the back burner
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #33
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamntoast View Post
I know what you mean as far as looking crowded and chaotic. It kind of bugs me as well. I haven't been able to figure what to do about it. I want a heavily planted tank mostly for the fish to be comfortable but also to look good in my living room, and I want to keep it low maintenance. Hence most of the plants I've chosen. I suppose I could take the anubias lancelota out fron the right there which might clear it up a bit and spread the rest of the mid/back ground plants out. What are ppls thoughts, how else could I improve this scape? I really appreciate the feedback.
Anubias nana petite, various mosses, and easy stems like R. rotundifolia can help add complexity without being so clunky and crazy!

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #34
jamntoast
Planted Member

I'm def thinking about my plant choices I'll prob be moving stuff around again once I get time, etc. fun fun.

Anyway here is a pic of the black neons I moved from my 75
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #35
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

The tetras look great especially with the Angelfish. I would definitely plan out what plants you will you use before committing to any big purchases!

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #36
jamntoast
Planted Member

Thanks, I'm probably mostly rearrange what I've got a bit first, and then I'm going to look at new plants to put in. I'm kind of stuck on crypts right now so I think once I'm ready I'm going to look into interesting species. I've been thinking about some crypt Willisi/crypt nevilli for the forground on the left side. But who knows yet.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #37
jamntoast
Planted Member

Added the rummy nose tetras, at first I wasn't sure it was a good idea because they were schooling up with the black neons but the two shoal have now separated, which is exactly what I wanted. It's almost perfect. If only it was bigger. *sigh* but yea whenever something surprises the fish it's like watching a litte tetra explosion in my tank. Its beautiful. Hard to photograph the rummies though. Too fast.

Last edited by jamntoast; 02-13-2013 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #38
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Now that's the way to start a planted tank! STOCKED with plants.

Looks great, and awesome fish choices.

So how much of a cap did you put over your sand?
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #39
jamntoast
Planted Member

Prob not as much as I should have, haha, I used one bag of playsand on top of whatever else I could scoop out of the other 2 tanks which was sorta mixed with soil at some points. We will have to see how it works out my guess is at somepoint I'm going to be kicking myself for not using a second bag. It's about an inch to 2 inches depending on where you look.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #40
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

How about a fresh FTS?

I hope those neons do not become angel food. Keep counting them and when the numbers start dropping....
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #41
jamntoast
Planted Member

Glad to oblige
Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #42
jamntoast
Planted Member

Not much new to the tank really. I'm thinking of grouping the wendtii into a couple clusters on the right and filling in the open spaces, specifically on the right in front of the amazon sword. I'm a little nervous about it though because I'm worried it might get too tall for some of the smaller plants like my nana and I don't want it to grow out of control and drown out the whole intended scape. What are people's thoughts on dwarf sag in a low maintenance set up like this?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I always liked dwarf sag. Grows nicely but not super duper weedy for me. I hear that DHG can also be used in lower maintenance tanks.

Lowest maintenance plant EVER though has gotta be C. parva. Even in high tech, that thing does not get trimmed.....or really do much. It lives, but it just grows so slowlyyyyyyyyyy.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I hope those neons do not become angel food. Keep counting them and when the numbers start dropping....
And ya I'm keeping an eye on that, not so much for the black neons, but the rummies. When I first put them in the angels were quite interested, ran at them a couple times. Everyone seems pretty relaxed now. I'm keeping my eyes open though
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #45
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Really NICE tank!!!

I didn't see any specs on the lighting and filter setup, can you tell us what you are running?

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!! Your fish look AWESOME, and I really like the natural look of the playsand too! 90g tanks are one of my favorites!!! The extra depth really makes the taller plants like the Vals look SHARP!!! The Sword likes the extra hight too!!!

Subscribed!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bolivian ram, dirt, geophagus, keyhole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.