Sump Questions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sump Questions?

For those that have sump,

Do you have filter socks or using polyfill? Right now I use filter socks, but does not seem like I get very much flow out of them, thinking of switching to polyfill. Thoughts on using poly fill? Since right now my drain area is large, I was thinking putting those scrubbers on the bottom, egg crate on top of them, then the polyfill?

The reason I am asking is my filter socks are in need of being replaced and thinking it might just be better going forward with the polyfill?

Any thoughts?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Cthulhu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a sump for my reef... But I don't understand your question, what do you use those filter socks for?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I had a sump for my reef... But I don't understand your question, what do you use those filter socks for?

The water that drains out of my tank via overflow goes into the filter sock in the sump. I have to change them every 2 - 3 days. Now that I am working on setting my tank back up, been down for a few weeks, trying to see if I can make any improvements to filter and spend less money on socks using polyfill rather than the socks. Wonder if it works just as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Why not just make your own socks from some standard felt? I think you'd end up changing the polyfill more often, costing you more money in the long run. If you don't want to make your own, you could always order some (various micron sizes) from McMaster Carr.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2

Those socks are notorious for clogging and require regular cleaning. I don't use them on my sump, just run from the tank into my media, then through perot foam.

In your case, I would replace them with something like you are thinking... the scrubbers for media or something else, and the poly over it.
jjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The best filter system should be coursest to finest material to allow less and less clogging. I always setup a sump the same way a canister is. You don't put polyfill or fine sponges as your first filter stop, it's always the last.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
The best filter system should be coursest to finest material to allow less and less clogging. I always setup a sump the same way a canister is. You don't put polyfill or fine sponges as your first filter stop, it's always the last.

I think my only option if I go with that thought, is to stay then with the filter socks. I don't have the funds to make changes to the fine sponges so on that are end of the line. So what I am saying is I don't have room to put poly at the end.

Each side of my sump as filter sock, then goes to course foam, then fine foam, then all my bio media. I have each section in the sump sized off for each type.

I guess I have the best setup with what I have, and will need to just buy some more and deal with the cost, I don't have machine to make my own.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #8
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think that your best bet would be the polyfil.

It may not help you now, but this is the way I'm going to build my sump when I upgrade my tank. Maybe this will give you some ideas on your setup.

The light blue is the overflow into the sump.
The dark blue is coarse foam blocks, I figure having space below them is going to force the poop to fight gravity. Also, it will give any intrepid overflow surfers a chance at survival.
The light green is polyfil. The fourth foam block is only there for spacing to keep the polyfil from contacting the heater in the next chamber. Could be switched for eggcrate.
The red is a heater (since I had the empty chamber with good water flow).
The gray is filter sock (or 2 or 3 depending on width). They will be set into a drilled glass panel.
The dark green will be a bag or basket of biomedia.
The navy blue is of course a return pump.

This setup should be minimal maintenance. Vacuum the overflow area of solids once a week. Rinse the coarse sponges once a month or so, and change the polyfil as necessary.

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by OrangeSoda; 01-20-2013 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: clarity
OrangeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Lets take another look as to why the media is filling up so fast
What and how often are u feeding?
What about water changes?
And what is ur substrate?

My sump's one and only filter pad gets changed twice a week if i feed more bloodworms.
Once a week if i feed dried veggie foods with less protein..

Less try to rememdy the problem as a whole!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Lets take another look as to why the media is filling up so fast
What and how often are u feeding?
What about water changes?
And what is ur substrate?

My sump's one and only filter pad gets changed twice a week if i feed more bloodworms.
Once a week if i feed dried veggie foods with less protein..

Less try to rememdy the problem as a whole!
No fish in the tank, just getting it set back up, so no feeding right now.

Water changes will be once a week.

Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix capped with Caribsea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon Sand.

Not that they are that dirty, just going back to trying to save the most money.

If I am to change the filter socks every 2 days, that what I used to do. I need to buy several sets. They are rather expensive, as they are the big ones 7 inch rings.

What started this is just me setting tank back up, making sure I am doing what best. It does not seem like very much flow in the sump. Area where filter socks are one on each side, don't see much water movement, baffel open at the bottom then into 2 baffel with filter sponge, then poly fill and sump media. Return pump mag 18. I see water moving over top the baffel as they should be. Just not sure if it enough? Maybe I am worried for nothing? Seems like I get more flow when filter socks are removed. That why I was thinking poly would be better?

Since time is limited each week I will have to work on the tank, just trying to do what best in the long run.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

expense wise, i'd go for some thick coarse foam right there.. its washable.. it'll be expensive up front but will save in the long run

flow through the sump will be the same. its determined by ur return pump and overflow