Quarter gallon No tech Cubes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
holoublahee
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quarter gallon No tech Cubes

I set this vase up about a month ago when I had some extra DHG. The vase is from Ikea and it's about .25 gallons. There are a few tiny pink ramshorns and some MTS in there at the moment.

I decided to take a few pictures while I was doing a small water change tonight.
here it is empty:

I'm really surprised by the growth in this tank given that it doesn't have a light fixture and I don't dose any ferts.

I decided to use filter carbon as the substrate because I had it as a temporary substrate a few years back and the HC I had in it seemed to do really well even without ferts or high light. I decided to see if it was the carbon that helped. So far the DHG has grown great and I haven't had a spot of algae! I'm thinking of setting up another 1 or 2 of these, but I'm not sure what plants I want to use--maybe HC. Any suggestions?

Last edited by holoublahee; 08-16-2015 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: title change
holoublahee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Supercracker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is a really cool idea, makes me want to do one now! You could try some four leaf clover but they may grow too tall, I've got a 1.5g cube and my clover is probably over a foot tall.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Supercracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Daisy Mae
Planted Member

Default Nice cube!

That looks so cool with the DHG and wood, amazing how something simple looks really good.
Here's my exact same vase, however, it's just used as a somewhat grow-out spot. I don't know what that stem plant is, unidentified pet store special.

Java moss growing out, also Java Fern.

Happened to have four baby ramshorns hitchhike in, they're maybe an eighth of an inch long. I put a bladder snail in, now there's babies

I mostly just leave it alone, one minor water change in the past month, but plenty of top-ups. It's not pretty but it makes me smile.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	503153
Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
holoublahee
Planted Member

Thanks guys! It's a fun little tank and really easy to maintain. Mostly just top offs. I like the idea of the clover, but I'm worried it would get too tall
I'm thinking of doing one with either HC or UG and some anubias petit as the center piece. I got excited and picked up 3 more vases at Ross today for like $3-4 a piece. So there're lots of opportunities to try things out! Maybe I'll do one with some glosso too

Daisy Mae, I like yours! It's a good idea as a grow out tank. Is that an IKEA light behind it? I think I have the same one haha
Old 08-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
FishFan13
Algae Grower

This post made me think of my DHG project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150804_141321.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	503433  

FishFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Supercracker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by holoublahee View Post
Thanks guys! It's a fun little tank and really easy to maintain. Mostly just top offs. I like the idea of the clover, but I'm worried it would get too tall
I'm thinking of doing one with either HC or UG and some anubias petit as the center piece. I got excited and picked up 3 more vases at Ross today for like $3-4 a piece. So there're lots of opportunities to try things out! Maybe I'll do one with some glosso too

Daisy Mae, I like yours! It's a good idea as a grow out tank. Is that an IKEA light behind it? I think I have the same one haha
I just measured my tallest clover and it's 15 inches tall, but I also have done no trimming on that tank ever. I'm sure that if you kept trimming it after a while the plant would learn to not grow so tall.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
Daisy Mae
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holoublahee View Post

Yes to anubias petit! Great idea! I was at Winners checking out cylinder vases yesterday, lol. Planning on a fine gravel capped dirted nano. Probably will be using trimmings from whatever I have and no tech. Sun tunnel in the bathroom where it will likely be placed. It's fun doing these little vases.

And yes, it's an Ikea Jansjo LED. They're super handy, I have two clip lamps and two desk lamps. the other desk lamp is being used to light up the girl child's snail tank.

Thanks much for the compliment.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #8
holoublahee
Planted Member

FishFan, that's a really cool light bulb! I really like that idea.

Supercracker that's a tall clover! Do you think I would be able to get the clover to stay just above the surface of the substrate?

Daisy Mae that sounds like a really cool vase! please share if you set it up.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #9
MoreyFan
Planted Member

Incredible the water stays clear without film on the surface. Beautiful.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
Supercracker
Algae Grower

To be honest I have no idea if you would be able to, somebody else who maybe has more experiene with that plant might be able to tell you. The cube I have is my first time growing it and like I said I haven't trimmed it ever.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
Supercracker
Algae Grower

So I was at the store today and happened across this little cylinder vase, had to pick it up and steal your idea (sorry, not sorry ). I used dirt capped with blasting sand, DHG and in the back there's a piece of Ludwigia that I accidentally broke while cleaning the other cube.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
Daisy Mae
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercracker View Post
So I was at the store today and happened across this little cylinder vase, had to pick it up and steal your idea (sorry, not sorry ). I used dirt capped with blasting sand, DHG and in the back there's a piece of Ludwigia that I accidentally broke while cleaning the other cube.

Perfect! Now it just needs to grow in. These little guys are fun and addictive, great for using those bits and pieces from other tanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
Supercracker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Perfect! Now it just needs to grow in. These little guys are fun and addictive, great for using those bits and pieces from other tanks.
I know I can't wait for it to start growing in, the DHG was taken out of my 10g and I'm hoping that it will survive. My fiance keeps telling me no more tanks, well I found a way around that, this isn't a tank it's a flower pot! lol

The Fraternity of Dirt
Old 08-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
Daisy Mae
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercracker View Post
this isn't a tank it's a flower pot! lol
I'm gonna use this line!

Sorry, holoublahee, I think that's a bit of a hijack. However, since I'm subd to this thread, I am hoping that you show us your next lovely vase once you do it up. I really want to see that anubias petit centerpiece.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 AM   #15
Supercracker
Algae Grower

Yeah, I may have accidentally hijacked this thread, sorry.

The Fraternity of Dirt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.