The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does Yeast Co2 Have a smell

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  anonapersona 
#1 ·
I was thinking about DIY yeast Co2. does it have a smell when you install it? and do the bubbles in the tank give off a smell or is there no smell? because if there is a funky smell, i don't think i want it. i have a small tank 5.5 gallons.

#2 ·
The CO2 has no smell...the other fermented products like the alcohol and your fermenting mixture might have some smell. A friend of mine has a few DIY co2's and they dont smell but Im sure you have to be careful setting them up.

Mike :D

#4 ·
Yeah when I had my diy going thier was no smell when you had it working, however, when you poured out the mixture, it smelt like 25 year old wine that has been sitting in the sun. :aah:

#5 ·
When creating the mixture and connecting it up to your tank, there should be no smell since the yeast hasn't had enough time to completely react.

During normal operation there should be no smell since the system should be air tight.

When disassembling the system there will be a slight smell (mainly alcohol). Not enough to knock you out or anything, actually at an arm's length you can't hardly notice it!

Kyle

#6 ·
I am always tempted to have a sip... just for the heck of it, see what nasty stuff I produce :drool:
Somewhere (I think on the Krib) I read about ppl using wine yeast, adding fruit juice to the mixture, let it carbonate when done and have a good time :lol:

Anyway, I recommend to use a (CO2-cleaning)bottle with water in between the CO2 DIY mix and the tank. That water smells pretty bad too, and I wouldn't want whatever is causing that to end up in the tank.

#7 ·
i punched a hole in the top of my soda cap and pulled the tubing through with tweezers. the part of the tubing going through the cap is only like half or less diameter is this okay? i blew on the other side of the tubing, and the air was able to pass through. its just that section is really narrow.

#15 ·
i just redid my tank for the third time. i got this huge piece of malaysian driftwood that takes up half the space of the tank. it reminds me of a mountain. all the ground is filled with e. tenellus. no more space for anything except for maybe something to be tied to driftwood. o wel im too lazy i can do that later. i have some anubias and java fern that i have stored away (in my other tank)

#16 ·
okie dokie... i got the CO2 all setup. i can see tiny bubbles coming out of the Coralife wood diffuser. some are getting sucked up by the filter and some are floating to the top. o wel... at least some of the Co2 is diffusing. i also started adding a cheap fertilizer. i don't feel like doing anything complicated yet.

#17 ·
OK, evan, but what was your pH before and what is it now? And what is your KH?

You are supposed to be watching this stuff, not just admiring the bubbles!

#19 ·
Good plan! That's Amano's method, sock it to the plants for a while and get them going great, before adding algae crew and then fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.