29 Gallon Equipment
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-16-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I already have a very successful 20 gallon long tank. I am looking to under go a 29 gallon tank. I already have the tank, stand, hood, heater, and light taken care of. But I have questions on some other equipment needed. I do not mean to start a war, so I apologize in advance if I do.

1) Filter: I currently use the Hagen Aqua Clear 150 for my 20g. I really like them, but I only complaint with all of their models is the intake spout is never very long. Itís no a problem on my 20g long, because itís not that tall. But for a 29 gallon, what filters would be ideal.

2) Power Head: I am not planning on using an under gravel filter for this tank, I really do not like them. I know some people that use Power heads even without an under gravel filter just to get water movement in the tank. Do you think this is necessary? And if so, which make model do you recommend?

3) Is there anything else you would recommend for a 29 gallon?

Thank you for your help.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 08:48 PM   #2
tony-da-tiger
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to tony-da-tiger

have you thought of a canister filter? i find them far superiour.
tony-da-tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Matt,

You cant start a war here although you will get some guys from the pimpsquad on your butt....LOL....

I use the Rena XP3 for my tank...its 100 gallon and I have overkill by running 2.

It is quiet but not silent. A friend of mine is running an eheim..not sure what model and it is SILENT...I mean SILENT.

Both are cannisters and should do you fine. If you find you have too much circulation you can modify the spraybar. I have posted pics in another forum (equipment..under rena users).

You probably could use a lower model xp2 perhaps...just a thought.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
culu
Algae Grower

What are your intentions for the 29gal? Planted or non planted? What kind of fish? How many? What size fish?

Planted tanks really don't need excessive water movement (i.e. power heads). As far as filtration is concerned a canister filter is a good choice if appearance is a priority as they can be hidden underneath a stand or away from the tank rather than a power filter hanging off the back.

Non planted tanks with large cichlids would require much different filtration requirements than a planted tank...so the long and short of it is ...what are your intentions for the 29gal
culu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2003, 11:42 PM   #5
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

I use an Eheim ECCO 2233 on my planted 29 gal, and I would not trade it for any other filter for that tank. It is silent, provides superior mechanical and biological filtration, just the right amount of circulation/surface agitation, and best of all, it filters the water before it goes through the impeller well, so the sand cannot harm the filter.

If you decide to get one, get the Eheim pre-filter. The pre-filter unit sits on the bottom of the tank, so virtually any solids that end up in the water colum end up getting sucked into the filter.

The power head is really not necessary. It will only off-gas your CO2, which the plants need.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2003, 12:40 AM   #6
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Thank you for your feedback.

The tank is (of-course) going to be live panted. I wanted to try slightly larger fish, maybe an angel, and other fish in that group.

The only thing with the canister filter is I think it might be an over kill for a 29 gallon. And I am not familiar with the workings of them and ho they are set up. Maybe some one an change my mind
Old 08-17-2003, 01:02 AM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Matt,

i dont think its overkill by any stretch of the imagination! They are functional and dont agitate the surface like some hang ons.

My 2 cents.

Mike

Old 08-17-2003, 01:11 AM   #8
culu
Algae Grower

A canister filter, just because it's a canister filter is not "overkill" for either a planted or non-plated tank

Rule of Thumb...find a filter that will cycle your tank volume at least 6 times in one hour, gph (i.e. 29gal x 6=174)

I personally have a Fluval 204 canister filter which is rated at 180 gph for my non planted 29gal that houses 4 bala sharks, 2 SAE, 2 giant dainos, 1 Columbian shark...
Old 08-17-2003, 01:20 AM   #9
mattrmiller
Planted Member

What do you like/not like about the canister filters? Any brands you recommend? How much are replacement parts/media for them? What goes wrong with them the most?

Sorry do not mean to bombard you with a bunch of questions, I just want to be good and sure before I invest.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:38 AM   #10
culu
Algae Grower

It all comes down to personal preference. I like canisters because I like a display (tank) that hides equipment. Most all canisters filters available today are good. Rena, Ehiem, Fluval all make equipment that works well. It's kind of like ...do you like a Ford, Chevy or Chrysler type of thing..
Old 08-17-2003, 01:42 AM   #11
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Matt,

You will find 2 schools of thought here on this board.

1) Rena Filstar XP users....aka PIMPSQUAD

2) Eheim Cannister users

{edited......sorry there are fluval users too....lol my bad fluval guys}

I personally am running 2 Rena FILSTAR XP3's on my 100 gallon.

Each cannister generally contains baskets for containing media in them. The media can be ceramic, lava, floss, sponge....you name it. What is accomplished is water circulates from your tank to the cannister and is pulled through the media. The rocks/ceramic is used for nitrifying bacteria that helps break down the junk in the tank....ammonia..etc. The sponges/floss are used as a mechanical filter to remove particulate matter...leaves, fish poop, undigested food etc.

You clean your cannister every so often...cant give you a schedule because EVERY tank is different...however if you are running fine floss then you should clean it as your output decreases.

Plus and Minus of the FILSTAR VS the EHEIM....

Well you will get arguments on each....the filstars are cheaper generally and are pretty simple. They are not silent. They are quiet but not silent. My filstars...2 of them...sound a bit louder than the fan in my computer...maybe a bit louder.

I have a friend that has an Eheim....generally more expensive...but ABSOLUTELY SILENT!

So....your choice...if I had to do it all over again I would most likely go with an Eheim...sorry pimpsquad....just due to its absolute silence. Dont get me wrong the filstars are great....nice filters, cheaper, great water flow, just not as quiet as the eheim.

Hope this helps! I think June and July issues of the Tropical Fish Hobbiest has a review on cannister filters...yeah it does!..You might check that out too.

Mike

Old 08-17-2003, 06:01 AM   #12
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Thank you for all of your help.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:07 PM   #13
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I run a XP-2 on a 29 gallon tank and it's perfect. In fact I have my DIY CO2 reactor plumbed into the output of the filter and it works like a champ.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #14
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

To be totally honest an Eheim was my first choice for a canister filter before I bought the XP3. I just couldn't justify the extra 70-$80 for the Ehiem pro2 2028 that I wanted. So I bought the XP3 and I have absolutely no regrets. For the price of a fluval,(that most people steered me away from), you can get the XP3, a filter almost as good as an eheim. If money is not a consideration then just get an Eheim 2026-2028.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2003, 04:21 PM   #15
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marcel is correct...price is the issue. They both do the SAME THING! Anyone that tells you different is not giving you the full truth. One of the Eheims though, has an internal heater that may be what you are looking for. I use an external one.

With all being said...I have had my Filstars (XP3's) for a month now with no problems at all. They are easy to clean and operate. They make noise like I mentioned before but NOTHING like the two Iwaki "lawn" pumps I had underneath this thing when it was a marine reef in japan!

Keep researching and let us know whatever you decide to go with. Also do a search on this board for FILSTAR, XP3, RENA, EHEIM, FLUVAL...all of those and see what you come up with.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.