Magic Shrimpies
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
JakeJekel37
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Magic Shrimpies

So, I had set up a RCS tank for my girlfriend about 2 or so years back. I used roughly 3 gallon critter keeper. It worked well. A few months later we decided to rescue a few bettas from Wal-mart and needed tanks to put them in. We put a nice yellow crowntail in with her shrimpies figuring he was a toss up whether he would go after them or not, and there were quite a few hiding places they could get to that he couldn't if needed.

We had him a good year and a half before he finally passed. Pretty good considering who knows how long he was at Wally world. We hadn't seen any shrimp in the tank for the past 6-8 months and figured he had taken them all out.

It was time to break the tank down for now until I could figure something else to do. After removing all the rocks, wood and plants, I started pouring the water down the bathtub drain. Then, I started seeing streams of clean under the muck. Sure enough there were surviving shrimps.

I quickly covered the drain so none would get flushed (hopefully none got past me) and got a bowl to put whatever I was able to save into it.

The critter keeper was in no shape to set back up for either a temporary quarantine or permanent home at this point, but being a hobbyist like all of you, I had an empty 2.5 gallon, 5.5 gallon and 10 gallon tanks waiting for an idea.

I grabbed my 2.5 gallon, filled it with treated water that I keep on hand for water changes, threw some anubias nana from another tank in it, and a couple of moss balls, and transferred them to their hospital tank.

I plan on keeping them in there for 2 weeks to a month to keep an eye on them, make sure they survive. Then I'll set up something more permanent for them with some good substrate and then purchase some new shrimp to introduce some diversity into the gene pool as these guys are several, SEVERAL generations in from the same stock, and have lost some of their initial vividness.

(Edit: This should have actually be posted in the Invertebrates forum, sorry, my bad.)

Last edited by JakeJekel37; 04-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Content
JakeJekel37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well if nothing else, That's pretty cool.

Congrats on the survivors haha.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
JakeJekel37
Algae Grower

So, here's a little update on these guys.

It's been about 2 and a half weeks or so since I found these little survivors. They're all doing well. I went out and got a Fluval Spec and set it up for them. I didn't have a bunch of spare plants for them, but I think it's enough for this small tank.

Everything in the Spec is stock. I used some Fluval Shrimp Stratum for the substrate. I've got an anubias nana in there, a small patch of what I believe is fissidens, two marimo algae balls and piece of cholla wood.

All 6 shrimps are doing well, one is even berried.

And another look at the berried female
Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Magic Shrimpies

Keep an eye on ammonia, and also cover up the second intake hole.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
JakeJekel37
Algae Grower

Default Re: Magic Shrimpies

Are you talking about the intake toward the bottom of the back wall? What would you suggest I cover it with?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Cover it with some stockings or put a sponge behind it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Magic Shrimpies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJekel37 View Post
Are you talking about the intake toward the bottom of the back wall? What would you suggest I cover it with?
Either that, or cut up a 1g jug of water and shove plastic into the substrate so it is blocked.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
JakeJekel37
Algae Grower

Thanks. I imagine that's to keep the babies from getting into the back area? I'll do that first thing tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
merritt1985
Planted Member

I wouldn't worry about it if you kept the foam block in the filter. That hole is backed by ths filter foam.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
JakeJekel37
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by merritt1985 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it if you kept the foam block in the filter. That hole is backed by ths filter foam.
I did indeed keep the foam block that came with it. I took out the media that were in the holes in the block. I can't tell if the foam block is covering the intake hole or not though. I will eventually load the back with filter floss or something, but for now figured the foam block will do fine.

I also plan on maybe rescaping this when I get a few more plants in, though I've had that anubias nana for quite awhile now. It grows quite well, I've taken a number of cuttings from it and they are also doing well. Not sure what else I'd put it in. The moss should grow out pretty well. I trimmed it back quite a bit just about a month ago. I wouldn't mind a couple stems of something, but don't really know what would look good in such a small tank.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Magic Shrimpies

Quote:
You'd think so, but it isn't depending on how you put the foam in.

And it isn't just for babies. Adults go back there, too.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
merritt1985
Planted Member

Not sure if the models differ but in my 2.5 gallon spec its covered by the foam. I poked a toothpick in the hole just to make sure. The babies in my tank like to go through the slits in the top and pick at the filter foam.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
JakeJekel37
Algae Grower

Just to be safe, I went ahead and cut off a small piece of a one gallon jug and covered the hole. You can only see it from that side of the tank, not visible at all from the front or the other side.

Also, two of the shrimp molted last night and they're all out and about today. They seem to be enjoying their new home. After a couple more weeks once I know they're all perfectly healthy, I'm going to try to get a few more to add some diversity in the gene pool. If anyone wants to get rid of 10 or so, let me know.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Magic Shrimpies

Quote:
Not sure if the models differ but in my 2.5 gallon spec its covered by the foam. I poked a toothpick in the hole just to make sure. The babies in my tank like to go through the slits in the top and pick at the filter foam.
Hmm well mine definitely doesn't have coverage. I know they modified the product as they went along. Maybe they did on your model.

Good call on doing it anyways.