Possible 20g long terrarium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 10-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Mussa888
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Possible 20g long terrarium?

I need help. I'm interested in turning my current lizard tank a 20g long into a terrarium. My lizard is moving out to Chicago for breeding and I have an empty tank. I was wondering if it is possible to turn it into a terrarium. I was thinking a small pond ( I have a nano filter ) and lots of plants, maybe one or two small critters. I have tons of planted tanks now, so I do have some experience, although all of my current plants grow under water. Any help would be great, thanks.
Mussa888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Navaros
Planted Member

What type of terrarium would you want? Tropical, Native, Temperate? This is going to cover about everything you will need to know. Do you have any ideas on the fauna you would like to keep ir at least the plants you are interested in?
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
Samosette
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default 20 gallon tall.

I just got a 20 gallon tall tank and was thinking of making it into a palaudrium(sp.) half water half land with a back waterfall somewhere. I'm just curious about how much light i will need.(What will you be using Mussa?) I was going to use a aqualight (28-32? watts) that i have left over. I plan on using low light plants like anubius/java ferns in and out of water. and maybe some crypts.... are there other plants that do well in the aquarium grown underwater and out of water in the shallows? And I'll just keep a few(2-3) small fish maybe with an amano or two... wonder if the amanos will crawl around on land?.... doubt it....
Samosette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
Navaros
Planted Member

That should be enough for your paludarium, though I am not too familiar with those lights. The plants you've chosen so far should do pretty good in that setup. You said you wanted a waterfall, in the wild tha is where Java ferns and Java moss grow so they would both do well securely attached to the rocks of your water fall as well as submersed. You may also have luck with riccia or pelia slightly emersed in the areas with higher light. For the fully terrestrial areas of the tank you can grow java moss pretty easily also and terrestrial mosses. Some other plants you might like for the terresrial areas are Ficus sp.s, pothos, and wandering jew which all do well in low to high light and if given the opportunity can also grow well with their roots directly in the water and work as an extra nutrient sponge. Although not very natural you might find some places to attach some tillandsias. Some orchid species might work also. I really like growing Cryptanthus species in terrariums also.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #5
sarahbobarah
LOTR BFME

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah

This is an interesting thread. I too was thinking about going half-full. I've hear conflicting reports on fire-belly toads and newts. Would they be compatible with fish, or would they make the water toxic?

Also, I've tried growing the java fern emersed and they ended up dying. How does one go about transitioning them? Or is there no secret to it?

Best Dressed Member of SVAS, SFBAAPS. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
sarahbobarah is offline   Reply With Quote