GHOST TREES 1.0 "Day 72 Post Flood"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
SimonC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

GHOST TREES 1.0 "Day 72 Post Flood"

Unofficial only because I have to decide on a name officially for this beauty. I have a few and a theme I am shooting for so a name shouldn't be too far off.

Tank Journal / Blog
ADA Do Aqua WabiKusa Waterfall Ver.2 120cm

Tank:ADA Do Aqua WabiKusa Waterfall Ver.2 120cm (120cmx45cmx20cm)
Filtration: Odyssea CFS700 w/ 9 watt built in UV sterilizer
CO2: Painball setup running 24/7 5bps(initial flood stage through 7.1.12)
Substrate: Akadama Double Red Line SS Fine grade
Hardscape: Manzanita Logs, Malaysian drift wood and Volcanic Rocks
Heater: Hydor 200w inline system(12mm)
Water Temp: 22C

It arrived today finally after so much anticipation and waiting it’s finally here my glass cascade dream. I am very excited, I had stopped by AFA today after hearing from George that the container with my tank as well as the rest of their products had arrived and was cleared through customs and would most likely be available for my pick this evening. They were of course good to their word and I arrived around 6pm to await its unloading. The excitement I felt was like that of a child going to Disneyland for the first time , or waiting to board a plane or depart on your very first tropical vacation . I was antsy last night going to sleep with the excitement and anticipation. So.... here it is, pretty bare at the moment but once I get the stand set up in the bay window I will start the scape. Hopefully by next weekend or sooner.

First I apologize for the crap quality of these shots. I really miss my camera right now but oh well, its only a camera. I will try to update with better shots as I gather them.

Front with some manzi and a fern in a berry basket for some size perspective.

Side

Looking down.

As of right now this is the intended list of flora in my possession and Fauna that I plant to use in this tank and scape:

Submersed Aquatic Mosses/Plants:
5 portions Mini Pellia
4 portions Mini Fissedens
1 Potion Fissedens Fontanus
6 portions Flame Moss
1 Willow Moss
1 Riccia Flutans

8-10 -Petite Anubias ‘nana’

1 - Bolbitis cuspidata Micro - TB Rhizomes
4 - Bolbitis heudelotti - Full Lot 10’ of Rhizomes
1- Hygrophila pinnatifida
1- Hydrocotle sp
1 - portion E hydropiper
3- NLJF
3- Trident Java

Emersed plants:
3 Terrestrial mosses 4”
1 Sundew Carnivorous plant
3 Awapuhi Shampoo Ginger
11 Mimosa Pudica aka sensitive plant(I bought some sprouted seeds on Ebay we’ll see)
1 Black Bamboo (GGP)
2- Un ID’d Hawaiian ferns.

Hawaiin terrestrial mosses (to be planted at waterline on large Black lava stones)
Dicranum sp.
Thuidium sp.
Polhia sp.
Sphagnum
Plagiomnium cuspidatum

To be grown on the glass cascades
8-12 various orchids

Fauna
12 Ottocinclus
20 CPD
1 dozen Emerald dwarf Rasbora
Clown Killies
Lampeye Killes

Inverts
15 Amano Shrimp
Caridina simoni simoni
Blue RIli’s
CBS &
Finally once seriously established I would like to add and hopefully breed
Black Shadow Panda’s :mrgreen:

List of Hardscape Stockpile
40’ black lava Rock ¼” - ¾” inch
40’ DRL Akadama SS
8-12 lrg size stones
Mopani Pieces Lrg
Manzi Logs 3-6” dia. & Branch wood.

I believe that sums it up for now. Stay tuned.

Updated to add some full scale sketches of my initial layout design for the bottom section I have no real concrete idea for the upper section as far as asthetic layout other then to compliment the lower level and house the orchids and semi aquatic mosses and other terrestrial plants and hopefully a few wabi balls.
For my new tank the 120 Waterfall in the lower section it is like a 120F tank. The layout I have sketched it is to scale. I have some plant abbreviations scribbled in and general layout and placement to some extent although nothing is set in stone to say... and in my head I want to have a narrow about 4-5 inch swift water channel coming from the back far left corner on a diagonal to the mid way point. I am trying to figure out what kinds of plants would do well in in narrow little fast water slot? I need some suggestions.
I am planing on doing a dry start so rooting and water uprooting the plant wont be too much of an issue once it is flooded. The tank will be a med to High light tank with lots of additional natural light via a north facing bay window. It will have pressurized CO2 and low dose basis FWIW for anyone's suggestions.

Blue shading equates to calm and or un-agitated water

Orange Rust shading equates to my intended fast flow current

Yellow shading equated to terrain that is barely and or gradually submerged

I plan to propel the water via a Marineland Maxi-Jet 1200 Multi-use water pump propeller and two of these mini jet 404's, they are small and can be tucked away among the wood and rocks in the back sections the will be dense with flora.

The center emersed like triangular area will be make up of Aquarium logs of mopani, manzi and sorts I wanup a wood reef/wall long that side, the other side opposite the lest side will be constructed of Rock possibly slacked flat slate and as I have access to a bunch and its cheap and stackable and I can like sandwich mosses between the layers as I stack them up to help secure them along the vertical wall/reef I am going for. So, along one side of the channel wall will be solid stacked large wood and the the other will be stone, like a stream flow where water is forced between large rock and the bank of the stream in a tight slough of fast water. Not sure if anyone can get a picture or idea of that but no worries. The main thing I need your input on is my options for plants/mosses that thrive in a fast current. :mrgreen:

Last edited by SimonC; 09-04-2012 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Updated specs
SimonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Very cool, I've wanted one of those for a long time but thought there was no way to get one.

Keep us updated!

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
whickerda
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Omg beautiful aquarium! I guess this is a dumb question but they are building them with those shelves from the factory?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Awesome design with so many possibilities. Can't wait for you to get started.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

JEALOUS!

If I may ask, how much did the tank alone set you back? I was wanting to get one, but I am hearing they are in the ball-park of around $600.

You should get some kind of frog, or a newt! I know fire-bellied would work, but they prefer 68*f water and thats too cold for a lot of fish/plants.

I'm subscribed, and I never do that.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

^^^PDFs
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
SimonC
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
JEALOUS!

If I may ask, how much did the tank alone set you back? I was wanting to get one, but I am hearing they are in the ball-park of around $600.

You should get some kind of frog, or a newt! I know fire-bellied would work, but they prefer 68*f water and thats too cold for a lot of fish/plants.

I'm subscribed, and I never do that.
Frog or newt, well it will jump out the front if it wanted to also dont think the shrimp would appreciate them...

Your on par there for the price, it varies depending on the current strength of the Japanese Yen at the time of order/payment. I made them commit and hold to a quote dollar amount once I committed. The price was just above what you were guessing but not by much and this was before sales tax too. Yes a pricey investment but IMO worth every red cent, tax return well spent!!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looking forward to this. I don't think I have seen one of these outside of ADA advertising.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Lurch98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)

Excited for your project, and grateful for you telling me AFA got a shipment. Aquasoil in my future! Subscribed.
Lurch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
SimonC
Algae Grower

Ok the unboxing continues here are some shots of the nice ADA glassware that is included. The “L” shaped inflow pipe and the long two section glass outflow pipe that will run the length of the about 1 inch shy of the the top of the back glass above the top tier. Again nothing but the best craftsmanship with this medical grade glass stemware 8) .

The glassware all packaged and taped to the bottom of the tank for secure transport. Plenty of bubble wrap was used. No cutting corners when they packed this thing for over seas shipping.

Outflow

Inflow & Outflow

included literature/instructions

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
SimonC
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looking forward to this. I don't think I have seen one of these outside of ADA advertising.
I don't think I was able to find anyone else also. I did see like one homemade one when I googled it once. Nothing like this though. So as far as I know I am a pioneer as far as this goes outside who knows where? I welcome anyone else who wants to embark on this adventure with me to contact AFA and get your order placed. However it may mean a trip to SF to pick it up or an ADA crate with a whole bunch of in$urance on the transport.

lmk all if you find anyone else with one of these tanks. I too am interested in forming a little Wabi Cascade Tank club if there was anyone else with a sim set up yet.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
SimonC
Algae Grower

@Geniusdudekiran
"^^^PDFs" huh?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I hear somebody in Hawaii has one, username on here is Manini, but thats barely US,

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
SimonC
Algae Grower

ok so I have a full scale sketch that I drafted out a while ago and I am now laying in the large diameter manzi logs (4"-6" dia & 12-24"L) in place where I have envisioned them as well as working in the spikey piece of mopani that I bought years ago back in LA just because its shape was so cool and unique. It reminds me of a huge vertibrate bone of a large mammal like a rino or something prehistoric it has a hollow cave/ tunnel right through the spine of it and will make so all kinds of good places for shrimp and critters to hide of as well as lots and roots nooks for the anubias and other plants to root into.

This tank is just so big I was worried was beyond its limits but with this marvelous lay out your options and scape is limitless :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here are a few shots of the logs in place as to reflect my scale drawing I had sketched up, the smaller branch manzi is not planned just put in on the spot to experiment with dimension and space in the tank. These are
Front

Close up

Here also are so pics of some plastic suction dishes like for your soap dish and such I picked up for next to nothing that I may experiment with hanging and floating flora dishes both emeresed, submersed and at the water line, oh so many options.

These are some laundry dryer and clothing mesh bags I also snagged for next to nothing in case I need them to separate and isolate some of my substrates. I may use some ¼”-3/4” Black lava to biuld up elevation and terrain in the tank in some parts and this will assist with keeping the lava from spreading wherever over time and also scratching the glass.

This is only initial playing around I no way is the tank going to sit there as I have a large bay window reserved for it and the hardscape should start going into place permanently next weekend. Until then this is just dress rehearsal.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
@Geniusdudekiran
"^^^PDFs" huh?
Before he tossed the idea of frogs.