DTPA or EDTA?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
urb77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DTPA or EDTA?

Hello,

Plant fertilizers are available as liquid or substrate fertilizers. Both should only contain the micro nutrients. Liquid fertilizers have to be dosed more frequently; substrate fertilizers will last longer. Since there are no obvious differences in efficiency, it is up to the aquarists' preference which to use.
Next to the micro nutrients, fertilizers contain chelates. The chelate is an organic molecule which binds metal ions thus protecting them from early precipitation. The preferred type is abbreviated DTPA because of its stability up to a pH level of 7.5
Unfortunately some fertilizers contain the chelate EDTA, which is much cheaper. However chelate EDTA is only stable at a pH up to 6.0 and therefore mostly useless in aquariums.

What do you think?

Haim
urb77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
ngrubich
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

What type of aquarium are you running? i.e. south american, african, etc. My Quantitative Chemical Analysis textbook shows that EDTA is capable of chelating metal ions at various pHs, depending on the major species of EDTA present (metal-EDTA complexes become less stable at lower pH ranges.)

Also, you can use any pH value to select which metal ions you want to be chelated by the EDTA and which ones will not be chelated. (example from my book: if a solution containing both Fe3+ and Ca2+ is titrated at pH 4, the Fe3+ is titrated (chelated by the EDTA) without any interference from Ca2+)
ngrubich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
urb77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

800 L planted ph-6.5 light=1w/l tds=135
can please guide me how to add a picture from my iphone?
Thanks
Haim
urb77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
ngrubich
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

When you go to type in the "Quick Reply" box below my post, you can click on "Go Advanced" and it will bring you to another page. On this page, about halfway down, there is a button that says "Manage Attachments." From there, you can upload pictures straight from your computer.
ngrubich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

You have to also include water hardness as ngrubich eluded to with his Ca+ example.

You won't be able to see a difference between DTPA and EDTA if you're dosing EI. Iron is a trace element so you don't need a lot and the difference(if there is one) between DTPA/EDTA will be masked by a lot of other variables that have greater effects on the plants (light, CO2, other traces, etc.).

Last edited by UDGags; 01-19-2013 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: updated spelling
UDGags is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Above the pH levels you listed, they do start breaking down at a rate dependent on pH.

For long-term storage in a bottle, Fe EDTA is therefore best kept at 6.0 pH or below.

Dosing every day or every other day, the breakdown rate for Fe EDTA is insignificant at 6.5 pH. Probably for weekly dosing too.

At 8.2 pH is another story - I had to do daily dosing of Fe EDTA at 3X recommended amount to prevent iron deficiency. Switching to DTPA helped greatly here.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (254/100%)

ETDA and weaker chelators or ligands do NOT break down instantaneously.
So if you dose daily etc, or if you used say DTPA 2-3x a week, the results should be similar.

I use ETDA, Fe Gluconate and DTPA all in one.
I buy Fe Gluconate and DTPA and add to Plantex CMS+B.

Cheap and will last about 5-10 years for maybe 50$ worth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.