WTB New Camera...Need Help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 AM   #1
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

WTB New Camera...Need Help!

As the title says. I would like to buy a new digital camera before christmas. I am bugeting about $200-250. Is this feasable? I do not need a printer just the camera. Main thing is quality pics of my 46gal. What are your recomondations.

Thanks,

Josh

MiAPG (Michigan Aquatic Plant Group) - Join today!
jmelnek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
Safado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelnek
As the title says. I would like to buy a new digital camera before christmas. I am bugeting about $200-250. Is this feasable? I do not need a printer just the camera. Main thing is quality pics of my 46gal. What are your recomondations.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,
It is definitely feasible to get a great camera for 200-250. It will be a point and shoot camera, which is not a bad thing. I use my SLR as a "point and shoot" 95% of the time. Would you rather have something small, or something built more durable? Do you already have a PDA or phone that uses a certain type of flash memory? Do you want something with a higher mega pixel, or something more user friendly? These are not mutually exclusive, but just a few things to think about before we start shooting out recommendations.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 AM   #3
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safado
Josh,
It is definitely feasible to get a great camera for 200-250. It will be a point and shoot camera, which is not a bad thing. I use my SLR as a "point and shoot" 95% of the time. Would you rather have something small, or something built more durable? Do you already have a PDA or phone that uses a certain type of flash memory? Do you want something with a higher mega pixel, or something more user friendly? These are not mutually exclusive, but just a few things to think about before we start shooting out recommendations.
Okay... This is will be the only flash memory item I will currently own, Picture quality is important but easy use is nice too. Tanking aquarium pics and baby pics are important features needed. Hope these answers help...

Josh

Old 10-06-2005, 04:34 AM   #4
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Checkout the Canon Powershot series..nice quality photo's for a nice price.
Powershot A70 /A75/A80/A85 etc
Old 10-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
cich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Checkout the Canon Powershot series..nice quality photo's for a nice price.
Powershot A70 /A75/A80/A85 etc
I second that. I have the A60 and no, I wouldn't take shots for prints, and I have my film SLR for art photography, but for general "snapshots," up to 2 megapixels is good enough for that! Canon is widely supported as the best lense maker in the general market as well. Another cool thing is that you can change the lenses on at least most of the A-series camera's, leaving you open to many options later as money comes along, but at the price of a point-and-shoot digital

P.S.
Maybe it's just my technique, but my parents like the images from my camera over their 3.2 megapixel Powershot S30, (at the same resolutions, anyways)
Old 10-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I'm a huge fan of the coolpix line myself. Any of the 4 MP cameras out now days shoudl run you about 200 bucks. Very nice. I'm shooting an old 4300 that I love to pieces and refuse to upgrade. Get can them used for 100-150 bucks. Well worth the money IMO.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replies, now I am at least off in the right direction.

Josh

Old 10-07-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
rrguymon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I don't see any cannon a70 or a80s. Looks like an older modle number. I see canon a520 4 mp all over. Is this a newer verison of the camera?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:48 AM   #9
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Find most any of them here, amoung other places thru Google.
http://www.pricescan.com/digiphoto/08010100.asp
Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
GavoDotCom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

For $200-$250, I think you'll have to go the compact route.

Here's a picture I took of a 1" dwarf puffer with a Canon Powershot S230 (3.2 megapixel camera) using the macro setting and full 2.0x zoom:

That's about as good as it gets with my camera--at least with my abilities, which are admittedly lacking.

I can't point you to a specific camera. But my advice is for you to find the largest optical zoom you can afford. Digital zoom is worthless, it will just blur your photograph, so don't place any premium on it. If you take your photos with the best picture quality your camera can deliver, the resolution will be enough that you'll just want to crop your pictures anyway, especially if you are primarily using your photos for the web. The same can probably be said with lower megapixel cameras, but I don't have any experience with those.
GavoDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.