Start Up Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Start Up Question

Been reviewing as much information as I can in preparation for attempting the addition of plants. I have a fish only 55 which has been running for about ten years. I changed my substrate about a week ago and am letting my tank stabilize. I have had three failed attempts at plants over the years. I have decided I want to try the Low Tech approach this time. I've considered substrate, lights, ferts, and plant type.

I have read almost everywhere that one should start out by planting a large number of plants. And I understand that the plants assist in keeping the water params correct and that there is a race between plants and algae so lots of fast growing plants makes sense.

My question is based on my my having my tank essentially set up to grow plants now, and algae is under control. Bearing in mind my historical failures with plants why should I not start with a few plants, 6-8, rather than 50 or so to fill up my available footprint?

thanks,
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
caoder
Algae Grower

Well, first tell us what you are putting into the tank as far as desired plants and equipment

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk 2
caoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I see no reason for buying a lot of plants unless you want to.

Deciding on what plants you like & what their requirements are is the important thing.
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Plants and Stock

My tank currently has 4 tetras, 3, corys, 2 clown loaches (small), and one piece of driftwood. I have 3-4" of plant friendly substrate and I have a 48" 2 bulb light fixture with T5HO 6700K lamps, one bulb is not on. The tank has been a fish only tank for about 10 years and has cycled long ago.

I want to test conditions for growing low light easy plants and have considered trying a couple each of swords, java fern, and crypts. [As this has not worked for me in the past I want to try a few first then add more if the plants thrive]

thanks, Mark
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sounds like a plan!
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote