Would you or would you not?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

View Poll Results: Go ahead with changing the substrate or leave it alone till after I move?
Go ahead 2 10.00%
Wait 18 90.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Would you or would you not?

Ok so heres the deal...

I am in the process of searching for homes. I am hoping in the next 2-3 months we will have a deal done and starting moving into a new house.

I am currently running a low tech setup, and plant to keep it that way, but I do plan to make some upgrades to the tank. Those upgrades would be adding peat moss and dirt and then capping it with pool filter sand. I will also prune alot of the plants because I am having issues with BBA and Blue green algae. I will also raise the lighting, because I feel the lighting has something to do with the algae outbreak.

Changing the substrate will be a process, because I will have to take everything out and the put it back in, so this has me a little hesitant to do this because I will be moving here in the very near future.

What would you all do? Wait to make the changes till after I move and get settled into the new place or go ahead with the process.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would do what you can to control the algae, but hold off on the substrate until the move, because the tank will have to basically re-cycle anyway, and then again after the move, even if you're careful.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
I would do what you can to control the algae, but hold off on the substrate until the move, because the tank will have to basically re-cycle anyway, and then again after the move, even if you're careful.
Would it still have to re-cycle if I use most of the current pool filter sand? Also, all the other pieces of decor like rocks and such will still be in the tank, or does none of this matter?

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not the expert on cycling, but from what I understand, any major disturbance in the tank could potentially cause a cycle. By taking along your sand, filters, everything in the tank, and most of the water (if possible) and preserving it as well as you can during the move and setup, then you can minimize the stress of a cycle, but there will still be a 'settling-in' period.

As for substrate upgrades, as I understand, those are a huge undertaking, and you may as well be starting with a new tank when you do one. Personally, I would wait until the move and get it all done at once, but as I said, I'm not an expert, so wait and see what others say before you take me at my word

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
I'm not the expert on cycling, but from what I understand, any major disturbance in the tank could potentially cause a cycle. By taking along your sand, filters, everything in the tank, and most of the water (if possible) and preserving it as well as you can during the move and setup, then you can minimize the stress of a cycle, but there will still be a 'settling-in' period.

As for substrate upgrades, as I understand, those are a huge undertaking, and you may as well be starting with a new tank when you do one. Personally, I would wait until the move and get it all done at once, but as I said, I'm not an expert, so wait and see what others say before you take me at my word
Thank you very much for your input! I really just want to take care of my plants and fish and do whats best for them. I hate seeing this algae and seeing it cover my plants. You know its funny, I never had an issue with the algae when the Anubias were in my 125 Gallon Mixed Cichlid tank. The Fish never hassled the plants and I never dosed the tank with ferts.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

She's quite right. There will be a settling in of nitrifying bacteria.

I have changed substrate on a tank with very little disturbance in the overall cycle, but it had a lot of filter media.

All in all, do what you have time for. If you can handle the time now, then go for it. I move my tanks at least 4-5 times a year. It isn't fun, but they're nanos and I can handle it.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd wait till after you move to do anything major with the tank. For the cycling issue, I really don't think it's a big issue just don't let all the bacteria in your filter die.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
She's quite right. There will be a settling in of nitrifying bacteria.

I have changed substrate on a tank with very little disturbance in the overall cycle, but it had a lot of filter media.

All in all, do what you have time for. If you can handle the time now, then go for it. I move my tanks at least 4-5 times a year. It isn't fun, but they're nanos and I can handle it.
Luckily its only a 55 Gallon. Thought I also have a 125 to deal with when moving comes around, but not much to that tank. I guess I will wait to change the substrate, but now I will have to focus all my time to this algae outbreak I have.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Search the one two punch algae treatment thread. Then focus on why the algae broke out so much! You'll figure it out.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Search the one two punch algae treatment thread. Then focus on why the algae broke out so much! You'll figure it out.
Ha I know exactly why, I started dosing dry ferts. KNO3 and the others on Mon, Wed and Friday, and my Trace Elements on the opposite days, and then a water change on Sundays. This has to be it, because when I hadn't stated it, there was barely any algae.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Beer
Planted Member

I'd say figure out the imbalance for now. Figuring out how to deal with and correct the algae issue could prove to be an invaluable lesson. You won't get much from ripping everything apart and starting over. You may just run into the same issue.
Why do you want to change the substrate?

If you can re-home the fish until the move and run the filter on the larger tank to maintain the bacteria, you could do a dry start on the tank. this would give you two to three months to get the plants established and give you a little bit less tank maintenance to worry about while you prepare for and complete the move.

Are you running any CO2? Excessive nutrients and no CO2 will allow algae to outcompete the plants. No CO2 requires less dosing because the plants are carbon limited and can not uptake/do not need other nutrients in large quantities.

I have dosed micro nutrients and fed a little heavy before leaving for a few day on a couple of occasions. It is usually fine, but the time my DIY CO2 stopped producing, I had a slime algae outbreak. It is anecdotal, the amounts weren't calculated out and it wasn't a controlled experiment, but lots of people have shown that a CO2 deficiency in the presence of higher nutrient levels will most likely lead to algae outbreaks. I'd say remove the more heavily affected leaves and cut back on the ferts if you are not adding CO2 (which I am assuming based off of you calling it a low tech tank)
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
I'd say figure out the imbalance for now. Figuring out how to deal with and correct the algae issue could prove to be an invaluable lesson. You won't get much from ripping everything apart and starting over. You may just run into the same issue.
Why do you want to change the substrate?

If you can re-home the fish until the move and run the filter on the larger tank to maintain the bacteria, you could do a dry start on the tank. this would give you two to three months to get the plants established and give you a little bit less tank maintenance to worry about while you prepare for and complete the move.

Are you running any CO2? Excessive nutrients and no CO2 will allow algae to outcompete the plants. No CO2 requires less dosing because the plants are carbon limited and can not uptake/do not need other nutrients in large quantities.

I have dosed micro nutrients and fed a little heavy before leaving for a few day on a couple of occasions. It is usually fine, but the time my DIY CO2 stopped producing, I had a slime algae outbreak. It is anecdotal, the amounts weren't calculated out and it wasn't a controlled experiment, but lots of people have shown that a CO2 deficiency in the presence of higher nutrient levels will most likely lead to algae outbreaks. I'd say remove the more heavily affected leaves and cut back on the ferts if you are not adding CO2 (which I am assuming based off of you calling it a low tech tank)
No CO2, my tank is purely low tech. I am changing the substrate for the heavier root feeders like amazon swords, chain swords, and crypts. Pool filter sand alone does not give enough nutrients for those. I do use root tabs but to no avail.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Would you or would you not?

So what do you think?

Fish
Plants
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Smitty06
Planted Member

Another good reason to wait would be that when you are moving, you will have the tank level down a lot and the fish will be in a seperate place so it will be less work to change everything. In short, you would have to do the same thing twice if you do it right now.
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.