I hate buying a home.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

I hate buying a home.

It just sucks. I'm so tired.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: I hate buying a home.

Agreed, but it's a damn worthwhile investment!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
...but it's a damn worthwhile investment!!

Yup, especially considering that I've spent over $66,000 in rent in the last five years. I thank God I don't live in a big city. I couldn't hang.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I hated it when my parents were looking for that "perfect" house too. It took months!!! I wanted the house with the pool near my old school, but my parents wanted the big and fancy one near Disneyland. I guess there were good things that happened when we got this house, I met the love of my life next door (no joke xD), and we got a big backyard which allowed me... TO GET A DOG!
Best of luck.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wife and I built a new house last year after a couple of years of searching for that perfect lot and floor plan. Patience was rewarded with an awesome 6 acre spring fed "aquarium" in my back yard. Well okay, its a pond, but spring fed and crystal clear never the less. It is approx 28 feet deep and on a clear day we can almost see to the bottom. Has a healthy population of Blue Gills and Large mouth bass. Very relaxing to sit at the shoreline and just watch the fish swim by doing their thing. I may just have to do a little snorkeling this summer and swim with them.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
I hated it when my parents were looking for that "perfect" house too. It took months!!! I wanted the house with the pool near my old school, but my parents wanted the big and fancy one near Disneyland. I guess there were good things that happened when we got this house, I met the love of my life next door (no joke xD), and we got a big backyard which allowed me... TO GET A DOG!
Best of luck.
Didn't you post you're like 12? The love of your life will change more than you change underwear.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
cichnatic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Didn't you post you're like 12? The love of your life will change more than you change underwear.
That's too excessive more like weekly water change.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

I know how that is! It wasn't the looking for a house that wore me out, it was the paperwork. And my mortgage broker constantly calling me and asking for this statement, or this piece of paperwork, and could I fax this over, or could I meet in person to sign these last three things, etc. etc.

But, it's nice once it's all over... The only thing that is a bummer is when something breaks or gets old, YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!! Haha, just recently I had some issues with a section of siding outside, I went to replace just this 1x6 panel and ended up having to replace a huge section of plywood and joist and then reside and paint that section. Next I have to buy a new fence, and my choices are build one for around 800 dollars, or pay someone to build it for 2500. Ugh.

But it is a blessing, and knowing that my kid will grow up in a house instead of an apartment is worth it. I grew up in apartments and I always hated moving day, not being able to have pets, etc.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichnatic View Post
That's too excessive more like weekly water change.
LOLOL. You guys just made me LOL. It's been going on for two years now. Sucks how she rejected me. It's impossible to not like that person anymore though, it's like knowing someone you never met. I should have never asked her. :/
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
It just sucks. I'm so tired.
Then dont. nothing wrong with renting.

Quote:
Agreed, but it's a damn worthwhile investment!!
Its not an investment. Its a liability. What kind of returned could the money you spent on a down payment return at 5%/yr compounded over 20 years ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Yup, especially considering that I've spent over $66,000 in rent in the last five years. I thank God I don't live in a big city. I couldn't hang.
And just think of all the money you saved in property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and interest payments.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default I hate buying a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Then dont. nothing wrong with renting.

Its not an investment. Its a liability. What kind of returned could the money you spent on a down payment return at 5%/yr compounded over 20 years ?

And just think of all the money you saved in property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and interest payments.
It's all personal preference (if you don't look at it in the true financial sense). Personally I rent my condo her just as a place to live where I earn a greater income than I could at my other property. Renting allowed me to buy 11 acres in the Tennessee mountains in CASH. I built exactly what I wanted. I have a well so no water bill, and solar power for electrical and actually get paid by the power company.
Mortgages are damn near indentured servitude.
I am debt free and I saved hundreds of thousands over what my friends paid for their house that is like 10' from the next house.
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Mortgages are damn near indentured servitude.
There is nothing "near" about it. They are indentured servitude. When you start understanding fractional reserve banking and where the money actually came from (hint: its not other peoples savings like you have been lead to believe) that you just "borrowed" and are now paying interest on you really start to wake up to the scam.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: I hate buying a home.

Well first off on my house, i didn't put a down payment.

But how is it not an investment? I mean with anything in life is a gamble. But i got my property and house extremely cheap, since then even in the poor economy my property has gone up. Yes i still owe and pay interest and have tax etc.. But my monthly payment is over 100 dollars less(that includes traces and insurance) than what i was renting for, and it's my house my property, i want to tear down a wall i do it.

Not to mention thats the overhead you pay in renting is for repairs / taxes etc. I still see buying as a more effective use of money than renting the one down side is should the housing market flop and your upside down.

Outside that the only difference to me is i am handling my repairs not a landlord

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Adam C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
and it's my house my property, i want to tear down a wall i do it.
Nothing like tearing down a wall....you know, maybe for more room for aquariums ; )

Anyone wanna come help install an under-the-stair storage (aka a fish room) with me?
Adam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

PTrader: (9/100%)

Actually right now a house is an investment. Prices are a bit lower than they should be and interest rates are low. If you can do a 15 or a 10 year note so much the better. The main idea is not to buy a house you can't afford. Rent is in most cases money out the window. At least with a house, if you follow tradition and live there for a few years, or pass it down is a solid investment, bubbles not withstanding.
If you itemize the interest and property taxes are deductible.
We built our house in 99. I could have sold that sucker for almost 4 times what I had into it during the bubble. My neighbor sold and doubled his money.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote