nano in a 5 gallon glass jug?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
Janice
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have some 5 gallon glass jugs and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or thoughts about whether I could use these to make planted nanos. These jugs are made of heavy, clear glass. The largest part of the jug is 10" in diameter and 15" high. After 15 inches the upper part of the jug slopes gently inward and upward for about 9 inches ending in an opening that is about 1 1/3 inches in diameter. These jugs were previously used for making wine so they also come with airtight rubber corks with holes in the center, and tubing that fits into the holes. Maybe this could be used to used to input CO2 or O2.

My primary concern is the narrow neck opening.

Any ideas?
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2003, 02:10 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I guess the most challenging thing to provide will be light. Unless it came from the side and this would cause algae on the glass more than plant growth. If only that neck was large enough to house a screw-in compact fluorescent bulb!
Old 08-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Schala
Algae Grower

Maybe I misunderstand, but if the opening is only 1 1/3", how are you going to get your hand in there to plant it?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Well you would probably be able to plant in it by using really long necked tongs. I would be more worried about cleaning it if you keep fish.
Standard gravel and a skinny piece of driftwood with Javafern would be my first thought, then perhaps a piece of hornwort.

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
Slaigar
Planted Member

Awhile back, I toying with the idea of putting terrarium plants in a glass jug. But I ended up giving up because of mainly getting things in and out of the jug.

You would not have any problems fitting foreground plants glossos and microswords but planting with tongs may make it very difficult. It can be done, but it would time consuming. You would also have to be very careful on water changes. Pouring water from so high will cause some turbelence.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 PM   #6
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

you could always smash the jar... and glue it back together! hahaha. you could break off the bottom of the jar add gravel and plants... and glue it back together. the gravel would make it harder to see the break off part.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
Janice
Algae Grower

I guess I could use a class cutter and cut the top off of the jug.

I was attracted to the challenge of trying to make an ecologically-well balanced tank in the jug. I've got a lot to learn!

55 Gallon tank, substrate flourite, planted, 4 clown loaches, one pleco, 6 zebra danios, two ghost shrimp, two algea eating shrimp, 5 cherry barbs, 2 Siamese algea eaters, one angel fish, 4 albino glowlite tetras and two really adorable weather loaches.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:16 AM   #8
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

o yea java moss would be a nice plant. with some fish. you can use high light and get the java moss to be a brighter color. im sure that would look nice.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:34 AM   #9
jonah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I guess I could use a class cutter and cut the top off of the jug.
That's really a pretty good idea. You'd want easier access to the interior for maintenance and you might be able to rig up some kind of lighting in the neck.
jonah 2:10

Oklahoma City Aquarium Association
www.okcaa.org
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2003, 04:44 AM   #10
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

but then you will have to disassemble the jug and it won't be as "neat" as having the jug untouched with a mini ecosystem in it. you can get a stick shaped driftwood and stick in there with some kind of moss on it like christmas or java moss. then you can just let the rest of the moss fall on the ground. it will grow into a sort of messy lawn. the wood will give it a nice effect and make it look like your looking inside a lake or something. you can drop a few greyish round stones in there. make it look random and natural. for the lighting just get a desk lamp and a screw-in fluorscent bulb 20 watts+. this sounds pretty cool... maybe i should try it myself! hehe.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:45 AM   #11
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

o yea another problem would be getting dead fish and invertebrates out of there. unless you have really long tweezers that won't be hard. o yea and with moss you don't have to worry about planting. the moss will find a place for itself.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #12
Janice
Algae Grower

Good ideas, Evan. Now I'm inspired again. I really didn't want to have to cut the bottle. I like the moss idea a lot. If a fish dies and its really tiny, could it be left to decay and fertilize the moss or would that cause problems?

55 Gallon tank, substrate flourite, planted, 4 clown loaches, one pleco, 6 zebra danios, two ghost shrimp, two algea eating shrimp, 5 cherry barbs, 2 Siamese algea eaters, one angel fish, 4 albino glowlite tetras and two really adorable weather loaches.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:01 PM   #13
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

if a fish died... it would have nasty stuff growing on it. eventually it will be fine after maybe a "millenium". a dead fish will get fungus on it and yucky stuff. plus it will practically kill your water. it may stink too. the other fish may die too.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:42 AM   #14
cousin it
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to cousin it

I currently have a 1gallon (aprox) jar which i have planted with hairgrass which lives in my bathroom window. works out quite handy as the hairgrass loves the natural light and very quickly covers the substrate. Im still working on additional plants to use in there to add a different leaf shape.
the substrate consists of 1" lily compost and 1" playpit sand and that seems to do the job quite nicely.
cousin it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2003, 02:02 AM   #15
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

cool. i wish i had some hairgrass. there aren't any aquatic plant suppliers near my house. thats too bad. i really like the hairgrass look. maybe i could get a 2.5 gallon and plant it with that stuff. the last time i bought plants was online. i don't feel like going through that hassle again. the plants came in crap condition, and they are still growing nice new leaves while most of the leaves that the plant came with are dying. they've lost most of their green, and become clear. o wel. it will take time to heal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.