How to trim plants.?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Abb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to trim plants.?

I have limnopilia aromatics. No clue how to trim it down without causing it to re stem from the trim mark. I want the stalk to get nice and thick but it grows right to the top and the leaves underneath the top don't get enough light.

Is there any other way? I've never saw any topics pertaining to trimming in general.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Abb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Abb
Algae Grower

Nothing eh lol. I prefer not to have plants over growing outside of my rank but I guess that's just the way they are!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

You pull the old stalk and replant the trim. That's how you keep them looking good. If you don't care about the aspect than why are you asking how to keep it from growing new side shoots? It's Limnophila after all. It will grow shoots as long as you trim it.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Abb
Algae Grower

Of course it will grow shoots. And I think I care about the aspect". Whatever that is.
You missed the point. I've saw limnophilia with very thick stalks (est. 1/2" thick) and lots of fullness beneath it. Other than just letting it grow to the top I wasn't sure if there was any particular way to trim aquatic plants like there's many many ways to trim/ prune above ground plants.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't think/know if trimming has anything to do with how the plant grows if I got you correctly

A thick stalk doesn't necessarily mean the plant has been trimmed in a specific way. My Aromatica just grew thick by itself and now it creeps on the surface waiting for me to trim it

If you ask me, the plant might need something that's lacking. A lot of plants look normal but they're not doing well.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Abb
Algae Grower

Interesting. My plants all grow well and fast.ei dose plus 4 t5s about 3 inches from the surface. Pres co2. The works. All or most plants have red/pink tops so I know lights not an issue.
It's interesting how plants grow different per tank. I have a couple with stocks thicker. So I wasn't sure if it was trimming or something I wasn't aware of. Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Abb
Algae Grower

Maybe I'll do a little experiment. Try trimming plants say an inch from the surface. See wjat hapens.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did you do the trimming? Notice something different after trimming the tops?

My Aromatica grew think from the bottom. That is after I started dosing Calcium and Magnesium in my 100% RO planted tank.

If the trim didn't do anything with regards to thickness you should look for deficiencies.

I've noticed other plants starting to thicken after dosing the aforementioned minerals so I think it's safe to assume you might need to check your water and add more of what's missing
Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
Abb
Algae Grower

So I did the trimming after a few weeks and I noticed a large difference in the overall thickness of the plants, but I noticed you lose a lot of light too because the tops of most plants just stem out like crazy, I guess with the larger root base haha. So conclusion? I think it's okay for a few times but to keep light hitting the ground plants. You need to pull out and replant new stems.

- Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.