Behold! The power of peas!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Behold! The power of peas!

So, two days ago I find two Black Neons behind my Hamburg Mattenfilter - for the life of me I can't find the gap they got through - anyhow I got them out. I thought they'd been dead for a month now, amazing how long fish can survive on little nummy bits I can't even see. One of them is suffering from swim bladder disease and it wasn't before it went missing. I don't know if it was the stress of me trying (unsuccessfully) to net it, or from being behind the filter so long. After 30 minutes of trying to catch it, I finally caved and pulled out the Poret foam to release the stubborn fish. I should have just done that to start, but the first fish was so easy to net!

After doing some reading because I've never encountered swim bladder disease before, I fed the fish peas that night. Then I didn't feed at all for a day & 1/2, and fed peas again. Now the old gal is 90% normal. She swims in a straight line but is still a bit tilted when hovering. Before, her head was up at a 45 degree angle and she'd sink if she didn't aggressively swim. I was worried she die of exhaustion! I never knew about peas as fish food until I came here. Her belly still looks strangely bloated to me though, we'll see.

Since I took out the Poret foam, I repositioned it when replacing it - I couldn't see a gap before and I can't see one now. Whether it's better or not I don't know. I do know I'll be very precise on my next ones!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Could the fish have jumped the filter?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

If Black Neons are jumpers, that could have happened. The top of the foam is just above the water line, and the glass tank tops are and inch or two above that. The foam is 2" thick, but I guess a leap like that is possible. I did find 65 Columbian tetra fry behind the filter once, so I think it's probably some design flaw I didn't see when I built it.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Rich Guano
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please pass the peas!

I interested to hear if peas are frequently used as food by other members here. Anybody feeding peas to the fish? What fish are eating them?
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Black neons are great jumpers for a tetra. And peas do work. I feed them once a week just for preventative measures. All my fish eat them really well and seem to like them. Rummynose tetra, pristella tetra, GBR...
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I'm happy to say The ol' gal is better every day. She only 'tilts" at the end of the long day when the lights have been on for many hours. The rest of the time she swims normally with the other black neons. I've also started putting any food in just below the water line, rather than dropping it on the surface. Trying to decrease the chances the fish will swallow air when feeding.

My fish LOVE peas as it turns out. I never knew. Sad that after two+ years I'm only now learning the value of fresh veggies in their diet. It took the tiger and rosy barbs in another tank 3 feedings for them to realize peas are food - now they, and the celebes rainbows with them, gobble up the peas as fast as any flake food. The celebes seems to enjoy them especially - I think it may have something to do with their very tiny throats. Maybe soft bits of peas are easier to eat. Haven't tried chopped spinach in the barb tank yet, but the tetras in the 125 love spinach too. Just the bigger tetras - the smaller species don't go for it much, because I need to mince it up more. The pieces are still too big for the little ones. Right now I'm feeding peas two - three times week.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
sumer
No Feeling is final

PTrader: (23/96%)

I used to feed boiled peas to my bettas when I used to have my hatchery.
sumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

Fancy goldfish keepers know peas very well! It is always suggested food for floaty fish. Many people (including myself) feed peas once a week to help prevent the causes of floating and because goldfish LOVE peas! It is best to give frozen peas or blanched peas. Also the outer skin/shell must be removed.
Acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I read it's good for fish contipation I fed my Giant Danio's peas and they love them. So do my Amano Shrimp.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote