PowerHead keeps falling...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Profector
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

PowerHead keeps falling...

Hello all, I have couple of Mini-Jet - 606 powerheads that keep falling and causing problem. I'm thinking that I can probably find a few coated magnets, glue one to powerhead, and then use another on the outside of the tank to hold it in place.
Or maybe finding something I can use to hang it over the side of the tank. Any ideas?
Profector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use plastic coated wire to hang things like that.
Example: I have several Aquaclear power heads, and the suction cups don't even hold when they are new. So I leave the mounting bracket attached, and add the wire. Hook the wire over the top of the tank, then UNDER THE RIM on the outside of the tank. Does not have to go far under the rim, but that extra bit is the trick that holds the wire. Otherwise the weight of the PH will stretch out the wire and it will just fall off again.

Sources of plastic coated wire:
Garbage bags may come with twist-ties (caution: some are paper coated- no good)
Things I buy that are wired into the package.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Profector
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Some plastic wire would work for the time being. I came home the other day to find one shooting water to the surface. A little further over to one side and it would have sprayed quite a few gallons on the floor.

Anyone know how strong of a magnet it would take to hold up power head that's weighs less than a pound. I figure 10lb pull magnet would be more than enough ..if there wasn't glass between them. One of the magnets from a mag float would probably be strong enough too if anyone knows how strong those are.
Profector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I use plastic coated wire to hang things like that.
Example: I have several Aquaclear power heads, and the suction cups don't even hold when they are new. So I leave the mounting bracket attached, and add the wire. Hook the wire over the top of the tank, then UNDER THE RIM on the outside of the tank. Does not have to go far under the rim, but that extra bit is the trick that holds the wire. Otherwise the weight of the PH will stretch out the wire and it will just fall off again.

Sources of plastic coated wire:
Garbage bags may come with twist-ties (caution: some are paper coated- no good)
Things I buy that are wired into the package.
Good tip - I have a Marineland powerhead that won't stay stuck either. I just bought a roll of vinyl coated clothesline wire for another project. I'll cut a length and make a hanging loop. Thanks!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categorie...FZCDQgoduxIABA is a great source for just about any size, shape and type magnet you could possibly want. I suggest using magnets with countersunk holes in them to make attaching them to something much easier. And, of course, the rubber/plastic coated magnets are necessary.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Remember that it is not just the weight of the PH, it is the force that it is generating shooting water.

If it ever does come off then it can shoot around the tank, or shoot the water over the side.
So you want a really strong magnet that will support not just the PH, but also hold stable from the vibration, and the force of the water, especially if you have the PH aimed anywhere except at right angles to the glass.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote