Spec V Filter Replacement Basket
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Steindler63
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Spec V Filter Replacement Basket

Hi all,

I found this online today and am thinking of making the purchase. A bit expensive but looks like it may do a better job than the stock sponge setup. Plus, I like the surface skimmer that comes with it.

Amazon.com: Fluval Spec Media Basket: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Fluval Spec Media Basket: Pet Supplies

Looks like it has plenty of room to stack your favorite media. I was thinking of filling it from top to bottom with coarse foam, filter fiber, lots of biological media and maybe a little carbon on the bottom.

I've been researching several types of bio media, what do you think is the best for a small sump in the Spec? ceramic rings seem to be one of the better ones that I've read about. Opinions?

But then on the other hand, the large stock sponge that comes with the Spec V seems like it could be a bacteria heaven! Currently I have the bio media it came with in one section and carbon in the other section.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this replacement basket mod.

Thanks!
Pete
Steindler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (40/100%)

I think this is a great idea, I wish I had seen this when I had a bit of money when I was setting up my spec, there seem to be a lot of wasted space with the stock sump, and not a lot of water being pulled through the sponge evenly,

As far as bio media goes, I really like matrix, round sintered glass has twice as much surface area as the ceramic rings, and best part is it doesn't restrict water flow like the bulky ceramic rings.

Carbon would be useless and you'll spend a lot of money on it every month and yearly. If your really that worried about the water quality you can use purigen. And purigen is rechargeable.

I would just go with coarse sponge on top. Filter fiber, bio media and then either purigen or maybe another sponge.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I think it looks great, except for the price tag.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Yeah price tag is a bit expensive, I would pay between 15-20 for it including shipping. You can make the same thing for a fraction of the cost through tap plastics

Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You can get a piece of light diffuser panel that looks like an egg crate and cut that up and build your own ladder/basket. I believe I got mines at home depot for around $12. I used small zip ties to hold them together.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hmmm, now that seems like it's within my limited abilities. I'm not a big fan of the foam brick with two cutouts.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really like the inTank stuff, and have one of their units for an Aquaclear 70. Having said that, I think the stock foam insert for the Spec line is a great idea for a fw setup, maximizing biological surface area. The big problem I have with the Specs (I have a 2 and a 5) is surface film and inTank does sell the surface skimmer attachment separately. Surely something one could DIY, but I like the way they execute it.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-...mmer-FLSSS.htm
Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
I really like the inTank stuff, and have one of their units for an Aquaclear 70. Having said that, I think the stock foam insert for the Spec line is a great idea for a fw setup, maximizing biological surface area. The big problem I have with the Specs (I have a 2 and a 5) is surface film and inTank does sell the surface skimmer attachment separately. Surely something one could DIY, but I like the way they execute it.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-...mmer-FLSSS.htm
I'd think replacing the stock pump with a Mini-Jet 606 would do more for surface scum than whatever that piece of plastic is supposed to do. I recently researched switching my SpecV into a nano reef. Saw plenty of people build media racks out of plastic light covers for under $10. That's the route I would go before spending $40+ on something premade.
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
I'd think replacing the stock pump with a Mini-Jet 606 would do more for surface scum than whatever that piece of plastic is supposed to do. I recently researched switching my SpecV into a nano reef. Saw plenty of people build media racks out of plastic light covers for under $10. That's the route I would go before spending $40+ on something premade.
Can you provide some links to this?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

This is somebody else's build pics. I don't remember the rules on this forum about posting links to other forums. So all you get is the pics...

This is the pump the reefers swap for the stock pump...

Amazon.com: Marineland Mini-Jet 606 Powerhead BULK VERSION [Misc.]: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Marineland Mini-Jet 606 Powerhead BULK VERSION [Misc.]: Pet Supplies

82 - 153 GPH adjustable. That's a lot of current. Maybe too much for a planted tank.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #11
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Yeah too much current, especially most people keep the current or stock pump on low, I've never had a problem with the pump personally.

What would I google to search for diy builds for these. I'm interested in doing this now with small compartments like a canister, polish foam on bottom. Medium coarse foam. Bio media. And coarse foam.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Yeah too much current, especially most people keep the current or stock pump on low, I've never had a problem with the pump personally.

What would I google to search for diy builds for these. I'm interested in doing this now with small compartments like a canister, polish foam on bottom. Medium coarse foam. Bio media. And coarse foam.
Just need to measure, cut and zip tie.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

That's a bit rackety though. I would like something more streamline. Slick. Aesthetic. I don't like the wasted space from egg crate compared to acrylic. Ya know?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
That's a bit rackety though. I would like something more streamline. Slick. Aesthetic. I don't like the wasted space from egg crate compared to acrylic. Ya know?
I'm not sure what aesthetics have to do with something you'll literally never see. I'll be building the same rack for my Spec V soon when I switch it over to a reef. Even with the "lost space" due to the thickness of the egg crate, that rack provides more biological media surface area than most HOB filters have that are rated for tanks up to 40 gallons or so. I just don't see the point of paying $40 for something you can make for a fraction and very little time. Sometimes DIY cost savings can be offset by the time it takes to actually assemble the project. I don't think this is one of those examples. But to each their own. That's what makes this hobby fun and supports the industry.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Mirkinator
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well for about the same price you can get a canister filter that will hold TONS more media, better flow, and can be used in any tank if you so desire. Its what I did with my Spec V. Got a full size aquatop shipped to my door for $50, with all media, from TruAqua.
Mirkinator is offline   Reply With Quote