My ongoing battle.......PLEASE HELP ME! ;-(
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
Unhappy

My ongoing battle.......PLEASE HELP ME! ;-(

I have had this tank since 2008. It is a 70g corner bow. It has eco complete and cichlid sand (for contrast) as substrate. When I originally set up I spread floradepot under the substrate. while I had great growth from my plants in the beginning, I always had an algae problem. Originally I attributed it to having too much light and not dosing or using CO2. I purchased dry ferts, started using CO2 and raised my lights while cutting bulbs. Still had algae!
Finantial times changed and I wanted to go simpler. I stopped dosing CO2 and dry ferts. I purchased root tabs and put my light down to 1 bulb for 10 hrs/day.
I still have algae! its been the same no matter what conditions are in the tank........ its completely frusterating!
First what is it.....I say a clado. Second how do I get rid of it? I pull it out and it comes right back!
Oh and it doesnt get any taller than what is shown......

wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Peroxide and activated carbon. Kill the algae and remove its allelopaths.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Oh, physical removal first!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm with Steven, physically remove what you can, then peroxide and carbon.

Something to see how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6xPlasgY8

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93074 (read thoroughly)

Lots more to read: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/...-peroxide.html

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

You could also try adding a few amano shrimp if you don't have any, they should help you keep it down as well.
From one aquarist to another Good Luck! Nothing like algae to ruin a good tank
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

What is your tank spec? Please include everything.

Also picture of your full tank shot.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

70g

4 bags Eco complete-planted black
1 bag Eco complete cichlid sand(black/white)

Under the substrate I used
Sera Floredepot 2.4kg

For lighting I am using
AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixture

2 54w T5 HO 10,000k
1 54w T5 HO 10k/daylight slimpak
1 54w T5 HO 6500k

ONLY RUNNING 1 BULB

Currently for ferts I am ROOT TABS
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks like hair, fuzz, AND clado.

Once algae is this well established, simply changing the tank setup and parameters usually won't make it go away on its own.

And clado is a special case - it likes the exact same conditions as plants, can't be avoided by changing parameters at all, and is resistant to H2O2 and Excel. Which really complicates things.

Furthermore, even with one bulb, it's possible you still have sufficient light that some carbon source is required, like from Excel. Or Metricide, which is more expensive up front, but much cheaper in the long run. And of course, it has algicidal properties when overdosed.

I can't comment on the root tabs, but others might be able to; provided you say what kind and how many.

I don't think I've ever suggested sterilizing a tank and starting from scratch, but here I would consider it. It will be one heck of a fight beating this algae, perhaps more than your finances or patience will allow; though if you do, at least you will learn something in the process. You'll have to correct all your tank parameters, then get rid of the algae through a combination of physical removal, chemical treatments (like my combo treatment), maybe even AlgaeFix too.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Looks like hair, fuzz, AND clado.

Once algae is this well established, simply changing the tank setup and parameters usually won't make it go away on its own.

And clado is a special case - it likes the exact same conditions as plants, can't be avoided by changing parameters at all, and is resistant to H2O2 and Excel. Which really complicates things.

Furthermore, even with one bulb, it's possible you still have sufficient light that some carbon source is required, like from Excel. Or Metricide, which is more expensive up front, but much cheaper in the long run. And of course, it has algicidal properties when overdosed.

I can't comment on the root tabs, but others might be able to; provided you say what kind and how many.

I don't think I've ever suggested sterilizing a tank and starting from scratch, but here I would consider it. It will be one heck of a fight beating this algae, perhaps more than your finances or patience will allow; though if you do, at least you will learn something in the process. You'll have to correct all your tank parameters, then get rid of the algae through a combination of physical removal, chemical treatments (like my combo treatment), maybe even AlgaeFix too.
I think I am just gonna have to start over then. I have been think about it for awhile now. and honestly it makes me have anxiety thinking about it!

Should I discard all the plants as well? The driftwood is going for sure as it was pulled from the tank last August and I just scrubbed the bone dry wood and added back.....within 3 weeks all the old algae came back!

Its so frustrating and disappointing at the same time....... If I didnt love this tank so much(corner bow) I would just take it down for good.....

thanks for the information and links provided. I will have to remember to start a new journal when I start over.

PS DONT EVER PUT MARIMO IN YOUR TANK UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT MAY HAPPEN WHEN YOU DO, I DIDNT AND IT HAS LED TO SO MUCH FRUSTRATION!

My first Marimo ball shortly after adding it to the tank in 2008........

Last edited by wrangler; 01-18-2013 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is your filter? Do you have power head in the tank? I'm leaning toward your flow in the tank is low.

As for your photo period, I wouldn't exceed 8 hours until you really master co2, fert, light, and flow.

The tank can be saved but it will required a lot of work especially for low tech tank. It might be best as DarkCobra mention above to restart the tank.

If you want want to try to save it. I would follow DarkCobra's thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203684
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
What is your filter? Do you have power head in the tank? I'm leaning toward your flow in the tank is low.

As for your photo period, I wouldn't exceed 8 hours until you really master co2, fert, light, and flow.
I have a fluval 305 AND I also have 3 water circulators.
AqueonŽ Circulation Pump 500

AqueonŽ Circulation Pump 700

AqueonŽ Circulation Pump 1250

currently just the filter and the 700 are running. Anymore and my angels become stressed.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

What's the ph?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I have a fluval 305 AND I also have 3 water circulators.
AqueonŽ Circulation Pump 500

AqueonŽ Circulation Pump 700

AqueonŽ Circulation Pump 1250

currently just the filter and the 700 are running. Anymore and my angels become stressed.
Hmmm... currently you have over 13x turnover which has plenty of flow. But I don't think your flow is distributed evenly. Does ALL your plants sway. Not just the top the plants but lower leaves should be moving too.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
Hmmm... currently you have over 13x turnover which has plenty of flow. But I don't think your flow is distributed evenly. Does ALL your plants sway. Not just the top the plants but lower leaves should be moving too.

well the 2 stalks that are near the surface do........ rest of the plants is a carpet of dwarf sag. some bronze crypts, and java fern......
the filter out is from the rear towards the front, and the 700 runs from the rear right corner across the tank to the left side.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #15
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Should I discard all the plants as well?
I would. A three-day blackout and AlgaeFix treatment in a bucket does a darn good job of killing algae, but it's not a 100% guarantee - and if it doesn't kill all the clado it will likely come back, even if you have your new tank set up perfectly from day #1.

Quote:
The driftwood is going for sure as it was pulled from the tank last August and I just scrubbed the bone dry wood and added back.....within 3 weeks all the old algae came back!
The driftwood I'd keep. Bake or boil it. Heat is the only way to kill all the spores, rhizomes that burrow in deep, etc.

Quote:
PS DONT EVER PUT MARIMO IN YOUR TANK UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT MAY HAPPEN WHEN YOU DO, I DIDNT AND IT HAS LED TO SO MUCH FRUSTRATION!
I personally believe that Marimo balls and invasive clado are two different kinds of clado.

Marimos can get infested with algae just like any other plant. Most can easily be removed by a seven day or more blackout - I've gone as long as a month and the Marimo is unharmed.

But what if it's infested with invasive clado? Since both algae look, feel, and smell identical except for growth pattern, one might mistakenly think the Marimo has "morphed" into an invasive form.

I've kept many Marimos for a long time. Never had a problem. Only had the invasive clado once, and the source was known to be a new plant. I quickly yanked it out before it had a chance to spread, and successfully eliminated it with AlgaeFix in a bucket. I don't know if blackout can be used to treat invasive clado in a Marimo, but I suspect not.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote