CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #61
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just an update: trimmed hc down to ground. Heavily trimmed riccia. Added plant: hygrophila pinnitifida to right rear, behind D. Diandra. Shuffled rocks around to make room for crypt nurii ( expected to receive next week and will be placed behind and to the right of my crypt wendtii (brown)

Notes:

1. I'm thinking of phasing out my riccia and letting the hc and e.belem occupy that space.
2. Phasing out the mid-background rock formation in hopes of crypt nurii occupying that space. Trying to tie the left and right scape with plants in a slope formation to the right, as previously suggested by member plecostomouse (posted in this thread).
3. My buces on the right are not doing well. I keep reading these are hardy but not for me. Not sure what's going on. Seen my ram and other fish nibble at the dying leaves on occassion. Buces on the left side (a bit shaded) are doing a lot better.

Pics:

Mini pelia tips growing slowly. Will probably try to reattach healthy growth to wood and discard the melted/ black pelia when can.

Erio kimberly (left rear). Lovely plant but just can't get it positioned right to suit this aquascape the best.

Pinnitifida behind diandra. Experimenting with how this plant is gonna look in this scape.

Buces not doing so hot. I was hoping they would take root to the branch wood by now.

CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 03-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: update/typos
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #62
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

That tank is so tasteful. Throw out the TV's and put it in the entertainment system. Excellent setup.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #63
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love the layout and the wood. I am attempting something similar in a 20L. Good luck
hisxlency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #64
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

Could you possibly be frying the Buce's?

And what type are they?

Could they possibly be switching to the submerged form? (Assuming you bought them grown emersed)

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #65
fogduck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your tanks are really beautiful. Quick question... When you replaced your branch wood, where did you get new branch wood from? I've been trying to find some for a 12" cube but it's not available on adgshop right now.
fogduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #66
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
That tank is so tasteful. Throw out the TV's and put it in the entertainment system. Excellent setup.
Thanks. I actually boycotted cable 6 months ago. Now I just do air cable, netflix and hulu. Saved 100 bucks per month but I do miss my HD sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisxlency View Post
I love the layout and the wood. I am attempting something similar in a 20L. Good luck
Thanks. Goodluck with your scape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
Could you possibly be frying the Buce's?

And what type are they?

Could they possibly be switching to the submerged form? (Assuming you bought them grown emersed)

- Mumford
Possibly. All purchased submerged so not a transition thing. Names escape me now but I think I did list it in this thread somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogduck View Post
Your tanks are really beautiful. Quick question... When you replaced your branch wood, where did you get new branch wood from? I've been trying to find some for a 12" cube but it's not available on adgshop right now.
Thanks. I'm lucky to have 2 LFS that carry ADA equipment and a pretty good line up of plants and fish. They regularly stock nice hardscape materials. Only thing is the shrimp scene is "underground" since they are illegal.
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #67
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Riccia gone, trying to grow out e. belem in the left corner. Erio kimberly was split and the much anticipated crypt nurii was just planted an hour ago. Much nicer than regular ole crypt wendtii 'brown'. Hope they do well in this tank.

Not sure if you can see the difference in the pic, but I'm loving this crypt. Thanks to TPT member for this fine plants.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #68
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love the C. nurii!
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #69
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Yeah, its awesome.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #70
bassmjm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Great erios!
bassmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #71
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Mix View Post
Love the C. nurii!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Yeah, its awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmjm View Post
Great erios!
These plants are cool to have. This tank has been a joy to create and watch grow despite having algae issues here and there.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #72
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

How are you liking the Finnex Ray II DS 7000k/7000k LED fixture? Would it provide too much light for a low-tech tank (no added CO2, or perhaps just a liquid supplement)? It looks terrific, though...

12G Rimless Club
Alplily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #73
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alplily View Post
How are you liking the Finnex Ray II DS 7000k/7000k LED fixture? Would it provide too much light for a low-tech tank (no added CO2, or perhaps just a liquid supplement)? It looks terrific, though...
Its a very nice light. I like it, very bright and a nice crisp white light that provides you with a "shimmer" effect. However, I've read most LED fixtures are not great for red plants. Red plants can not turn as red as they can be. I think this fixture is one of them.

This would be way too much for a low tech tank. I'm already hanging this light about 8 inches above water level and consider this a high light tank. Goodluck with starting your tank.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #74
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a pic & brief update: pinnatifida seems to grow small and compact under highlight, or at least in this tank, so going to rescape and probably put another stem plant behind my d.diandra on the right side of this tank.

Loving the finnex ray 2 but it doesn't seem to bring out red colors of plants. Looking to add supplemental lighting and maybe red stem plants on right rear of tank.

Raised the light a tad bit higher due to quick green algae growth on glass. I like having the ability to easily adjust heights with this setup.

Can anyone provide suggestions to my lighting concern? Is it my light or my nutrients that make my l.arcuata remain fairly green.

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 04-20-2013 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #75
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I think your Buces aren't doing that great cause they attach better to rock, specifically lava rock, than wood. I would try that and see how it works. T hough I love the way they look where you layed them out, so it's a shame to have to move them. I also love the new branches and the placement of the Erio up front, you should add some more!! Also, I think the H. pinnatifida will look great once it grows in! What kinds of Anubias do you have in there, is it just Nana and Petite, or do you have others as well?
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote