Best place to purchase a new Canon Rebel?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Best place to purchase a new Canon Rebel?

Decided on getting the latest Canon Rebel as my "entry level DSLR" camera. Now I'm just wondering where or what website sells this camera for the best price? Anyone have any insights?
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Scars
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

The t4i? Its a pretty nice camera for that price range.

I'd check out amazon, or adorama. Adorama has the t4i with kit lens for 750.
Canon Pimp Club #072

Scars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
The t4i? Its a pretty nice camera for that price range.
Yes. The T4i is the most current Rebel model, right?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Scars
Algae Grower

Yeah its the newest rebel.
Canon Pimp Club #072

Scars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
cichnatic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Before getting a great dslr camera and lenses. It is also important for the owner to feel comfortable handling the camera. Recommend for you to go out and try it at your camera or electronic stores.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Well your in NYC, B&H or Adorama of course. Go to the store and ask questions.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
watercage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I bought a T4i from Amazon right around Christmas. Found the deal on slickdeals.com

For $704 shipped, I got:

T4i body
18-55 kit lens
55-250 tele lens
16GB SD Card
Carry bag
UV filter
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Well your in NYC, B&H or Adorama of course. Go to the store and ask questions.

Couldn't agree more and beware of "deals" online. A lot of them are scams.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Thunder_o_b
Algae Grower

There are only two on line people to deal when it comes to photography, B+H or Adaroma. I have spent thousands of dollars at both and never once had any trouble.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercage View Post
I bought a T4i from Amazon right around Christmas. Found the deal on slickdeals.com

For $704 shipped, I got:

T4i body
18-55 kit lens
55-250 tele lens
16GB SD Card
Carry bag
UV filter
Thanks watercage,....I know I will need to compare prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_o_b View Post
There are only two on line people to deal when it comes to photography, B+H or Adaroma. I have spent thousands of dollars at both and never once had any trouble.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/
This is good to know, thanks! I have never ordered cameras online before and so this will greatly narrow down my research for websites.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
8foot6inchRod
Algae Grower

While B&H Photo and Adorama are pretty great, I disagree that they are the only two to deal with.

Take your time and search around for good deals. Like several have mentioned, Amazon is a great source and generally has some of the cheapest prices. Especially if you are looking for inexpensive camera accessories, like flashes, remotes, battery grips, and lighting accessories. There are a lot of decent cheaper options out there over the brand-name models; just do your research and consider the reviews carefully.

Sometimes you can find great deals on Craigslist too, but you have to be more careful about scams.
8foot6inchRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
sejoy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you don't mind the t3 version, it's about 200$ cheaper, and I got the whole kit, (2 kit leses, bag, memory card) at BJ's/Sam's club. It was a gift so I don't remember exactly what the deal was, but it might be worth checking out.
I don't know how much it matters to you to have a specific version though, but I'm starting out as well and it's served me very well so far. Lenses make more of a difference than the actual camera body for the most part, so I went with the t3 instead of the t3i to try and save towards a macro lens. Mine also shoots video.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Thunder_o_b
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8foot6inchRod View Post
While B&H Photo and Adorama are pretty great, I disagree that they are the only two to deal with.
Poor wording on my part. I should have said that they are in my opinion the safest bet for trouble free purchases of photo gear on the net.
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So after some research I can safely say I'm thoroughly impressed with the new Canon Rebel T4i. I thought I had decided on this camera after reviewing all of its features and online reviews. But then lastnight I had a second thought and I'm suddenly conflicted about whether I like the flip screen on the back.

What is the point of this? I think it could potentially turn into a point of damage in the future (i.e., the screen sudden gets loose on it's articulation hinges or even get knocked off by accident). I almost rather just have a fixed screen on the camera just to avoid these possible troubleshoots.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
8foot6inchRod
Algae Grower

The screen on the T3i is very sturdy. I mean, when you've got it sticking out, you gotta watch it, but it's just like being careful not to smack your lens into anything.

It's not a necessity, but it can come in quite handy. I was just out today taking some shots and wanted to get a shot down very close to the ground, but didn't want to lay down in the snow and mud. So I just flipped out the screen, tilted it to face up and held my camera very close to the ground. I could see the shot easily without needing to have my face at the viewfinder.

I've also used it while trying to shoot long exposure star and meteor shots. Having the camera pointed straight up on a tripod makes it difficult to look through the viewfinder. Flip the screen out, twist it however you need to view and you are good to go.

It actually can even provide a measure of protection for your LCD screen, because you can flip it completely around and close it again so your LCD screen faces into the camera body and is protected from scratches.

If you wanted, you could probably find lots of uses for it. Hold your camera above your head with the screen flipped down so you can get overhead shots of a crowd, or use the screen to take candid shots around a corner...just push your camera around the corner and you don't have to lean out!

Even if you end up not using it, it's not going to hurt you to have it. When you close it, it sits into an indent in the camera, so it is flush with the outer edge of the camera body. So it doesn't stick out to the point where it can get caught on something and knocked off. If you don't use it, you'll forget that it even flips out. In my opinion, then you at least have it for the times that it might come in handy, as long as you remember it.
8foot6inchRod is offline   Reply With Quote