Professional networking
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Professional networking

To be honest, i stuck at it! I have no problem meeting people or engaging others but how to do upkeep those relations and how to do you culture a professional relationship from it?

I ask because i work for one of the largest companies in the world and this always comes up in my one and ones and evaluations... If you want to succeed network... But last thing i want to be is some kiss booty..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I really object to a Corporation dictating who I should have a relationship with.

BTW - Just got your friends request.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I've found it helpful having like-minded colleagues. But you need to have separation between who your friends are, who you wouldn't brown nose, and your professional colleagues, who could be invaluable in helping you get into a new position with a company that is better suited for you. ANYONE can bitch and moan about "THE SYSTEM"; true professional artists learn how to USE The System to serve them. I certainly don't consider myself a sell out or a brown noser. I have a better job and life now because I formed the connections necessary in my field and worked my as* off to gain a reputation completely different than you might think if you met me.

Trust me, it's worth it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I really object to a Corporation dictating who I should have a relationship with.

BTW - Just got your friends request.
Well they aren't dictating who just that i should so it lol

Yea couldn't believe we were not friends already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
I've found it helpful having like-minded colleagues. But you need to have separation between who your friends are, who you wouldn't brown nose, and your professional colleagues, who could be invaluable in helping you get into a new position with a company that is better suited for you. ANYONE can bitch and moan about "THE SYSTEM"; true professional artists learn how to USE The System to serve them. I certainly don't consider myself a sell out or a brown noser. I have a better job and life now because I formed the connections necessary in my field and worked my as* off to gain a reputation completely different than you might think if you met me.

Trust me, it's worth it.
Yea i guess i am not super artistic

I am one of those few people who have a very limited number of close friends.

Building the right relationships to is hard especially for me as my area is pretty sepererated from where i want to be, i mean hell we are in our own building feel like an unloved step child haha

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My personal experience in the IT corporate world, don't make personal feeling come over ever in work place..and I mean never! so I always have the game face on(if you know what I mean) at office, never talk anything beyond work and let my performance to do the talking - don't know why this has really done wonders for me, as I got recognized as a performer what came along with it was due attention, so IMO let your work do the talking and initiative beyond daily work does wonders - once the recognition happens, network increases in manifolds automatically.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works

Last edited by zico_aqua; 01-17-2013 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: text format done
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
To be honest, i stuck at it! I have no problem meeting people or engaging others but how to do upkeep those relations and how to do you culture a professional relationship from it?

I ask because i work for one of the largest companies in the world and this always comes up in my one and ones and evaluations... If you want to succeed network... But last thing i want to be is some kiss booty..

I give up on Networking. That so called company just laid me off while violating about 3 policies. Can I get a hold of the market manager? No, his phone number is incorrect, and I just found out that he transferred to another market. Can I get ahold of regional human resources... nope. Tried calling home office for the open door policy. After being on wait so many times I gave up. Tried submitting a complaint through the ethics office. I was told to contact home office. Hmm... Social networking isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Easy way is to go on LinkedIn and network with your friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

It's very easy to network if you're in a client facing role, you connect w/ your clients on linkedin, and your network grows from there.

Another good way would be to attend mixers, talks, and other stuff where you get to meet other folks in your field.

I don't know how popular it is where you are but in san francisco, there's a networking event for almost every tech industry every week. Just go, get some free food/drinks and mingle.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Attend every industry meeting or hosted meeting/product showcase, etc. They may seem like a drag at first, but they are actually pretty fun once you stop being antisocial.

I make dentures, but we have 2 huge association meetings a year, and then countless workshops and classes. I used to hate going to them, but in the past few years I've met a bunch of great guys, gotten a few job offers and I've learned a lot as well.

So next time a company function comes up, or everyone is going out for drinks on Friday, tag along for a little bit. You don't have to get involved in office gossip or whatever, but just being seen at these functions will get you some connections. (hey, you were at Applebee's last Friday, weren't you? I didn't know you were in such and such department, you should apply at our department, it's way better, I'll out a word for you)
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DO A LITLE KISSING
u don't have to go far, but trying to be extra nice to the one u hate helps

Probbaly not realyl what i mean
asking about someone's weekend and general hello's in the morning with a smile on ur face GO A LONG WAY
no one likes the sad depressed face guy
you'll also end up feeling better about ur work as relationships grow
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DO A LITLE KISSING
u don't have to go far, but trying to be extra nice to the one u hate helps...
Sure you say that now, next thing you know you wake up, hung-over, in a tub of ice, in a Motel 6 missing a Kidney.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Sure you say that now, next thing you know you wake up, hung-over, in a tub of ice, in a Motel 6 missing a Kidney.

hahahaha tis a good chuckle you gave me sir
Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is one of the things I'm dreading... I waited til a bit late in the game to decide anything about my future (I still haven't), so I've really only got one professor who can vouch for me anywhere, and that's in Anthropology (purely academic pursuit anyway).

I've been around LinkedIn, but it's hard to network, when you really don't know where you want to be. Everything I've considered requires more technical skills than I have, you know?

I want business cards. I've been told even college kids can use business cards for networking. How does one do that? haha..

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

All good information, thank you guys!!

Hmm networking events, not sure if we have those often around here, never looked!!!
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
....Hmm networking events, not sure if we have those often around here, never looked!!!
In Arkansas that would be Sat. Night @ Wal-Mart