Rant and Rave!! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #61
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rant: I hate people who literally wait until the hour before thier class and expect me to be able to print their poster in a snap, while ten of their classmates also waited until the hour before their class, and then they all want everything on different paper, so I have to reload the printer a hundred times.

Rave: I anticipated this. Someone gave me a heads-up. So I'm prepared, I got a system ready, and I ain't gonna take no crap offa no-one about this.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #62
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Ill be the first to start!!

My Rave is that Today i sent out packages to the SIX winners of my FIRST RAOK. I may have went a little overboard, but i wanted to make it count!
Also, there was a newbie who didnt win, so i put together a different package for her, with a stem or two of a bunch of different plants.
RAOK-ing feels so good! I felt like Santa bringing the packages to the post office!
My dads eyes when he saw how many..priceless!
And i even got more boxes...possibly for more RAOK's...

My rant is...guppy fry. So. Many. Guppy fry.
I had just gotten all the fry, a food 60-80 of them out of my tank.
Later on that night, i look at the tank, and what do i see?!
GUPPY FRY.
Newborns, dozens of them.
I swear those guppies were Laughing at me!!

I hope this thread takes off, i really enjoyed this thread on the other site, and i know you guys are gonna love this!

My Rave: This is the first (actually only) forum where I've seen the term RAOK used so regularly and actually practiced. A small step to reassure me that some people still "get it".
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #63
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Rant: My damned API test kit. It must have gone bad. Granted, i bought it over a year ago, But still. I just tested the tank i redid the substrate on, and its registering 8 PPM!!! At that level, My fish should be belly up, and my frogs would have ammonia burns. At .25PPM, fish start racing the glass like thier on fire...Good thing its pay day, time to buy a kit on Amazon. The bottles are practically empty anyways.
I dont know whether i should do a water change or not! Maybe i should just do one? The test tube is practically black! Well, maybe not, but its a really dark dark turquoise..Its a slight bit darker than the 8.0 on the color guide.

Rave: BushKills rave. =] This forum is amazing. The people here are from all over the world, and they all help each other. RAOK's are a rarity in the actual world right now, and I feel like the fact there are so many on this forum, it makes me feed proud to be apart of it all.
Donating is one thing, but you cant see the person your helping, or talk to them, reven if your actually helping anyone, or lining someones pockets.
Doing RAOKs and helping people out on the forum is personal, and you get to knnow people, and make friends. Its a really good feeling. =]

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #64
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rant: I don't feel like I've got anything to rant about right now >:| I LIKE COMPLAINING, DARNIT.

Rave: ^^^^^^ All of that with the RAOKs. Early in my adventure on the forum, I helped a friend of mine get a betta tank set up, and we were gifted a HUGE pile of stuff, including baby plants, IAL, fancy betta food, and betta hammocks by Specgrrl. Plus, she gave us candy in the package, too I can't wait until I'm established enough in the hobby to have things to give away, and I love the fact that that isn't a weird thing to say to you guys <3

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #65
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

RANT; stinkin' Blue Tetras - I HATE them! They harass everything in the tank, even fish 3" long. They dash across a 6' tank just to nip at someone, and they never let up. I only have two left, a male (the most aggressive) and a female. I did have three, but I managed to catch one last week. I started with twelve but they killed each other off. Now that there are only a few, everyone is fair game. I knew the warnings and I did not heed. Stupid me!

DOUBLE RANT; my stupid nets. Why are nets so visible (mine are bright blue), and why are they always so fine a mesh? If my nets had a more open weave I could have caught both those fish tonight - but they are so finely knit that they drag in the water - water doesn't pass through them. So because I couldn't get that last second "swoop" the fish got away. Over & over. I don't want to stress my other fish so I quit. I'm going to make my own net out of black fishnet stockings and catch those suckers next week. And yes, I've tried catching them as soon as the lights come on, when the lights are off, at feeding time, by putting up barriers...blah, blah, blah.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #66
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
RANT; stinkin' Blue Tetras - I HATE them! They harass everything in the tank, even fish 3" long. They dash across a 6' tank just to nip at someone, and they never let up. I only have two left, a male (the most aggressive) and a female. I did have three, but I managed to catch one last week. I started with twelve but they killed each other off. Now that there are only a few, everyone is fair game. I knew the warnings and I did not heed. Stupid me!

DOUBLE RANT; my stupid nets. Why are nets so visible (mine are bright blue), and why are they always so fine a mesh? If my nets had a more open weave I could have caught both those fish tonight - but they are so finely knit that they drag in the water - water doesn't pass through them. So because I couldn't get that last second "swoop" the fish got away. Over & over. I don't want to stress my other fish so I quit. I'm going to make my own net out of black fishnet stockings and catch those suckers next week. And yes, I've tried catching them as soon as the lights come on, when the lights are off, at feeding time, by putting up barriers...blah, blah, blah.
Use 2 nets. 1 to herd 1 to capture
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #67
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Driftwood..I feel your pain. Catching fish is a PITA!
You know, if you go with a cheaper made net, they do have bigger holes. theres a place, Job Lot, that is a cheaper 'everything' store, they sell food to hair products to pillows. And they have a pet section, and my mom bought me a net in every size for Christmas..Best nets ive used...
I also lower the water..less space to swim!
I find fish always know theres a net..Its more about how much the care its there. My guppies will swim right for the net/cup..forget water testing, their all trying to get IN the tube! But most fish dont want to be caught, save some bettas. Re-catching fish is one of the reasons i havent added more fish to my big tank! Lol

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #68
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Use 2 nets. 1 to herd 1 to capture
And This! ^^

My boyfriend will just hold a bigger net in one half of the tank, the fish run from it. It helps bunch the fish, and he doesnt even have to move much at all.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #69
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Rant: Dropped the light fixture in the water, thankfully it still works! But the tank was pretty full after the water change and water splashed all over and two of the Black neons were in those waves. It's hard picking them up off a wood floor! The one is perfectly fine but the other's tail fin was damaged when I was picking it with my nails. Sorry fishy! Sucks too because they are pretty new to the tank (only a week) and I don't want to stress them more than they need! Poor guys,

Rave: They didn't die! lol And the light still works!

20g
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #70
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Rant: Music is digitized and then compressed. And since it's only 0 and 1s it loses quality.
Rant: Digital images don't approach the resolution of film by any stretch of the imagination.

Rave: Went with the little one to Nolans Aquarium Superstore, a fish farm, and a upick farm. He totally enjoyed the day. So did Dad
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #71
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Rave: I started my flower and vege seeds indoors today.

Rant: It's still 3 months until the last frost date.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #72
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Rant and Rave!!

Rant: Broken deadbolt results (after breaking OUT of my house this morning) in needing to replace front door and jamb (not as a result of breaking out but of discoveries made in the process that seriously affect the security of my home). Previous owners are complete morons who could have avoided this by doing it right the first time.

Rave: bedtime!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #73
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

RANT; I do use two nets! lol Blue Tetras are the cheetahs of the aquarium, and it's a 125g tank...but I WILL get them...I have a plan...

RAVE; I put some Purigen in one of the filter slots on the HOB on the 125 this morning because I am getting tired of the look of the tannins, and already the tank is all Fairytale/Avatar/ DisneyWorld sparkly...
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #74
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rant: work. Again. It never ends!!

Rave: finally started my all in one journal, and it seems to be going great! Two tanks and a dog down, many more to come!
Visit! =] it'll make me super duper happy!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #75
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Rave: I started my flower and vege seeds indoors today.

Rant: It's still 3 months until the last frost date.
Started mine also. we haven't really had a freeze. Yet.

Rant: Fishermen who leave monofilament line in the water. (mine comes back.)

Rave: This video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL9I4BxuryY
It's long but good.
Closed Thread

Tags
community, planted tank, rant, rave