blank slate tank 135 gallons
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Contrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

blank slate tank 135 gallons

I have a big ole 72" x18" x25"tall 135 gallon tank that's been sitting empty for almost 10 years. It's lived previous lives as a lab tank testing flexible CPVC liner in a marine environment, and then as a general catchall of any odd, ugly, mismatched fish that I didn't have a plan for. Then it sprung a leak and I lost interest.

Now it's resealed, holding water and all the gravel's been removed. It really is a blank slate that I don't know what to do with.

It sits on a homemade stand running down the middle of my "fishroom" and any scape I go with is going to need to be viewable from both sides.
I do have the big wet/dry available, or might be interested in doing a Hamburg Mattfilter on each end.. or I have about 20 penguin 330 HOB filters that I could use as many as needed.

A rather limiting factor I think I have is our water is quite hard kh of 7 and gh of 7 out of the tap....with a ph of 8.4

I'm not sure I understand why my 55gallon tank with safe-t-sorb has a tested kh of 1 and gh of 40.... maybe it needs some waterchanges.

I'd like to plant this big tank, and don't intend to ever try to use co2 on it... I'll use DIY co2 on the 55 or my hex tank but I don't think I want to make the investment in a tank and regulator.

Lighting wise I think I'm going to go with 2 double tube shoplights with 6500k t12 bulbs, mostly because the fixtures, and the tubes will be about as cheap as I can get, but be fairly efficient.. I thought about a 400w metal halide highbay at one time, but don't want to fight the heat in the summer. I currently cover 4ft of the tank with a glass tabletop from a coffee table, and could cover the rest with some window glass I have left over.

The big question is really substrate and plants with the limitation of no co2 and I'm guessing fairly low light, at least compared to a reeftank.

I'm comfortable with safe-t-sorb over using gravel, but would dirt and then safe-t-sorb be a better option? I don't think I could do mineralized topsoil since it's below freezing here, and I'd really like to have the tank ready to plant before Feb 9th, when the closest aquarium society to me has their auction and I can get really good quality plants that are actually aquatic plants.

What would you do???

oh ps, I keep the room around 72 and wouldn't even attempt to heat this tank higher than that.

Garrick
Contrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

My tanks stay at 72* and I don't have anything fancy either. I'm not sure that the shop lights would be enough, but I'm no expert there. Personally if you could get the Black Diamond blasting sand I would use that. I've used planting soil before and while plants to grow very well for quite a while in it, it turned by water brown. I redid my 75g with Tahitian Moon Sand and love it. I'll stuff some root tabs in there when I get a moment. I'm now redoing a couple more tanks with Tahitian Moon sand because it looks so good.
If that were my tank, I'd look for some huge driftwood stumps and put them in there and then some large river stones and driftwood branches... Oh man, the fun I could have with that tank! I'd get a huge community going! Maybe Synodontis cats or Cory's for the bottom, some Rams or Apisto's, torpedo barbs, a huge community!
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...des-tanks.html
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
Contrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can get the black diamond... theres a TSC here.

I have some in my 15gal rack tanks, I was really impressed with the look of it, and it made the fish stop acting all weird from the light showing thru the painted bottom of a bare tank.

TPT has been awesome for me since I found it a couple months ago, I'd really lost interest in my tanks till then. Now I've insulated the fishroom, set 2/3rds of the rack systems back up, put in drain plumbing so I don't have to bucket water all the time, and rescued the 150 from my hammer.
Contrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.