Where to buy potasium nitrate (saltpeter)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
Saluki
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

I have looked for it at the grocery store, but have not been able to find it. Where are the best places to look?
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Check out the "All about Fertilizer" sticky post at the top of the general section. Theres some sources there. You could also send a PM to Rex Grigg who's a regular here, I know that he did a bulk buy of KNO3 and is selling it by the pound. I'm pretty sure he still has some.

Don't even waste your time trying to find it locally unless there's a hydroponics store in your neighborhood everybody else will look at you like you have 3 heads. Some stump removers contain pure KNO3 but I'm not sure what brand. I wouldn't risk it since they don't have to maintain purity for stump remover.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
rdn2
Algae Grower

I got mine off ebay. Had no problems with shipping and now I'll have to buy more in like 2050...

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Saluki
Algae Grower

The link from the fertilizer article was broken.

I have had some time to think about it, and one thought that I had was meat packers (it is used to cure meat). Another was farm supply stores (it is a fertilizer). Finally, I thought of gun shops (a component of gunpowder).

I am at work, and cannot tie up my phone right now to call around. Has anyone tried any of these?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I am using the fertilizer KNO3 that we use where I work. So if you know someone who works in the horticultural or agricultural sector they might be able to help you.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Has anyone noticed any actual long term adverse effects from using Stump Remover? I've been using Green Light Stump Remover for my KNO3 needs for the past two years and it hasn't given me any problems.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Saluki
Algae Grower

I got lucky. I stepped across the street to the Pharmacy (an old-time local owned pharmacy), and they carry chemical grade saltpetre. It is expensive ($4.49 for a 4 ounce bottle), but they have it. I bought a bottle, but will keep looking for a cheaper source.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #8
rdn2
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Has anyone noticed any actual long term adverse effects from using Stump Remover? I've been using Green Light Stump Remover for my KNO3 needs for the past two years and it hasn't given me any problems.
I remember reading somewhere that the Green Light Brand is pure kno3. Somebody spoke witha company rep about it and verified this.

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #9
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki

I have had some time to think about it, and one thought that I had was meat packers (it is used to cure meat). Another was farm supply stores (it is a fertilizer). Finally, I thought of gun shops (a component of gunpowder).

I am at work, and cannot tie up my phone right now to call around. Has anyone tried any of these?
I just checked all the links, They all seemed to work for me. Which one was broken?
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #10
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

the local feed store sold it to me for 50 cents a pound, very clean micropellets.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:13 AM   #11
Saluki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.lemay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki

I just checked all the links, They all seemed to work for me. Which one was broken?
It is working now from home. We have odd issues at work with our content filter and firewall. I will probably place an order for potasium nitrate and potasium sulphate from that site. It is far cheaper than the drug store.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:33 AM   #12
Molly
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Molly

Hi:

My Mom used salt peter on her rose bushes, think she got it at a nursery, or in the spice section of the grocery store, but check with your cooperative extension dept.

Molly
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
cryptid sea

is he still selling the KNO3
cryptid sea is offline   Reply With Quote