What are suitable fish for a Nano Planted Tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Ray1214
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Having worked with Nano Reefs, I decided that a nano planted tank can't be hard. However, I am finding the challenge of finding suitable fish. The smallest tank that I will keep a Betta in is a 10 gal tank. Which I am guessing could be considered a nano, but I am talking 2 gallons and smaller. I have a 1 gallon nano that has a runt of a fancy guppy and two pygmy cories. (Hephatsues variety, yes I can't spell). I also have a Java Fern, horwort and a dwarf sagiteria (variagated). The plants seem to do well, The hornwort started as a small fragemnt from my feeder guppy tank (which is where i rescued the Fancy guppy, must had been put in by mistake) and now is in about 6 stalks the length of the tank. The java fern was a rootling on a piece of driftwood from a larger plant, that now has seedlings of its own. The dwarf sagiterria was another piece that was stuck in a filter that I took into work and planted, kinda stunted but seems to be thriving. The tank itself is one of the 1 gal eclipse explorer tanks with the 5 watt incandescent bulb. It has a small under gravel filter, but I perform water changes every tuesday and friday. (About 60-50 percent with a turkey baster get uneaten food.) I dropped in two MTS snails which now number probably about 6 on a given day with the larger ones taken home to my other tank and/or clown loaches once a month tokeep the numbers down. Tests have no ammonia, no nitrites, pH about 6.7, about 20 ppm Nitrates (which to me seems high since I have reef tanks as well). I do however only feed a small amount every morning with starvation on the weekends. (My reef tanks get fed only every other day at best.) Once a month about 5 drops of Kent's Proplant blue and pink bottles. Almost no algaes.I think the guppie and the cories eat the algaes on Sat and Sunday.
This guppy I have had since Feb, and it has never grown as large as some of the sibling feeder guppies, nor other fancy guppies, but I think it is rare and because I don't feed much. The cories are new, I have had them about a month, and I plan on adding amano shrimp as mine have had babies I am trying to rear at home.
Enough about me, what other fish would you recommend, keeping in mind, that most fish Iknow will probably have to be regulated to larger tanks in some cases. Here is what I envision to be my list of fish that can be kept.

1. Guppies
2. Endler's Livebearers
3. Pygmy Cories
4. White Clouds
5. Neon and/or Cardinal tetras

Any others? Or does this list look wrong?

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

In the past, I've kept Guppies, White Clouds, Glowlight Tetras and Serpaes in my 2.5g nano. They all did great and lived a long time (before I eventually moved them into my 55g tank because I liked them so much). My nano is also at work so I don't feed on the weekends but they get plenty to eat during the week.

Right now I've got a male Betta, though. Why do you feel the nano planted tank is too small for a Betta? I actually feel this is more ideally suited for it than a larger tank. I've never been able to keep a Betta in a larger/community tank for more than a year, while this one has been going for a little longer than that. Bettas live in cramped swampy rice paddocks in Thailand and tend to waste a lot of energy swimming around in larger tanks. Just a thought if you would seriously like to keep a Betta in the nano. To me, it is the perfect inhabitant.
He's in there with two Otto's, which do a good job in keeping up with algae.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Well, my betta seems to like his 10 gal planted tank. I have a 10 gal tank with 3 african dwarf frogs, a swordtail (another rescue from the feeder guppy tank) and the betta. Remarkably I have no algae problems probably due to the mystery snail and the mts and since I have to prune this tank on a monthly basis (has the Hagen CO2 injector thingie). This was my first experiment in substrates. It has a half inch layer of gravel, one inch in flourite, and 2 inches with normal play sand. The flourite layer is supplemented with plant tabbs upon the initial setup but with regular doses of kent's pro plant and plant formula this plant is flourshing to where I have a couple of 10 gal tanks with various substrates that has just plants and various shrimps. and snails. All from the offsprings.

Anyways he just seems happier but my guppy is about 1/4 of his size.
My 29 gal houses the serpaes, and lemon tetras. They quickly outgrew 10 gal tanks but seem to school well in a 29 gall. They will be moved into a 55 gal planted tank as soon as I set up my 75 and/or my 125 gal reef tank. (200 gal sump in basement)

Ray

Old 08-25-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Well no other takers but I have actually seen someone keep kuhlie loaches in a 3 gal eclipse. He had 3 of them and they were very active. I would have thought they would outgrow something that small, but he had them for over a year.

Ray

Old 08-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Alex
Algae Grower

Sparkling Gouramis will do well in a small tank. I have a pair in a planted 2 gallon tank and they are doing well.

Alex
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

i want a golden gourami. i read that they are really peaceful with small fishes like neons and harlequin rasboras. i also read that some people have had problems with other dwarf gouramis bullying the other fish. i have a 5.5 gallon, so i cant have fish that are troublemakers and fish tend to cause more trouble in small spaces. what about the red fire dwarf gourami? gouramis don't need friends right? just one will keep it peaceful? because the tetras usually only cause trouble when they are not kept in a school.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:53 AM   #7
Ray1214
Algae Grower

I am not sure about gouramis. I have only had one in a 10 gal or larger. And I guess I am not a really big fan either way. I am more a cory person though. I think that there is nothing more pleasant to watch than a school of cories just busily exploring the substrate.

Ray

Old 08-26-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

im thinking about a gourami even i don't really like the way they look because i need a solitary fish. most of the other fish that would do well in my tank we need small schools. Neons, harlequins, corys, otos. i have otos in there tho. 3 of them. gouramis don't need friends. haha. i don't feel like spending the money on getting a school of harlequins yet. its gonna cost me like 15 bucks.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
Ray1214
Algae Grower

I guess 15 bucks for a school wouldn't be that bad considering I have spent a hundred or more for a reef safe fish. I am really liking the guppy and pygmy cories in my planted nano tank. The corries are so active and the guppy seems to try to play with them. I am having a snit trying to keep the cacomba's under control And to think I started with one or two strands...now a tank full.

Ray

Old 09-02-2003, 04:41 PM   #10
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

The "only" gourami's I would consider for a tank under 10 Gallons would be Croaking or Sparkling Gourami's. Gold Gourami's are simply colour variations of the typical 3 spot gourami (that can attain 6") so they will grow far too large for tanks under 27 Gallons.

There is a HUGE variety of Betta species that would be ideal as well. I think you'll find most small anabantids would be well suited to a small, filterless nano.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:41 PM   #11
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

the dwarf gouramis are good. they are all the same fish except different colors. mine seems pretty happy. he swims all over the tank like he owns it or sumtin. haha. im gonna get him a girlfriend sometime even though females are pretty ugly. (oxymoron) haha.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #12
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

What about Honey gouramis? They only get 1.5-2" in length, and are pretty calm. I have a pairin my 5 bowfront planted tank. Beautiful fish, and worth looking into atleast.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #13
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I'm a little biased on the Dwarf Gourami's.. I have had SEVERAL of them simply turn evil on me and try to kill everything in the tank. I'm sure thats an oddity but still.. I'm tainted.. lol
Old 09-04-2003, 11:27 PM   #14
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

hahah. dwarfs don't usually do anything. they do stuff like that when there are other gouramis around. they mostly quarrel with other gouramis.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:36 PM   #15
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I had one decide that he wanted a piece of my Botia Helodes.. a 6" monster of a mean loach...

Needless to say I didn't have to worry about the mean gourami any more... He was dead by morning!

Although not appropriate for a small tank, I much prefer 3 spot gourami's and Pearl gourami's to the dwarf's...