Hellpppppp!!!!!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
algae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hellpppppp!!!!!!!

Please go down to the Uh Oh... thread. I need assistance pronto.

You know, I swear to god that people can't or don't bother to read. I'm having a serious plumbing problem and I've got water everywhere. I can't refit the hoses on the Hydor heater because water comes pouring out of it, and I only have two hands. Somebody please weigh in.

I hate plumbing. I must have had rocks in my head to ever think that a tank of water with PLUMBING should ever go in my living room. I've had this tank running for two weeks, and already I want to tear it down and throw it out back. PITA!
algae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is your tank hard plumbed? If not, turn off the pump and pull out the intake and spay bar for a minute or two (turn off intake and output valves if you got em, will also keep water from going elsewhere. Should limit the water on the floor while you make emergency repairs

At liest your tank is not upstairs...
Mine was...
I had a seem give out... Luckily slowly enough to get the fish in an ice chest and do 1/2 of an emergency 100% water change...

Had I not gotten that call from my gf, I would have had parts of my downstairs ceiling on my floor by the time I got home from work...
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
algae
Algae Grower

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "hard" plumbed. But, I did pull spray bar and that seemed to empty what I needed.

You know, that sounds simple, but when you've never done this before, and you have water shooting out of two places at once, it's a wee bit difficult to calmly, rationally figure out what to do.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
GraFFix
Planted Member

Im sorry to hear about your frustration, but honestly I dont see what the problem is?

Turn off the pumps/canister whatever you have, have a bucket ready and pull the return hose out of the tank (which im guessing your heater is on) if it still has water in the line then dump it into the bucket. redo the hoses to the heater to fix it...set the return back in the tank, prime the filter and ENJOY the tank.

if the Hydor is leaking then you have might have to go another route. If you dont have new hose you can just get a plastic coupler from a hardware stoire to connect the hoses together as a temp fix.

Now when your landlord calls you at work telling you that the people who live under you are complaining about water flowing down their walls from upstairs then you worry...wasnt that bad of a spill though, only like 30 gallons
Old 09-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
algae
Algae Grower

O.K. What I wanted to do from the start was to put a ball valve on the outflow before the spray bar just for such emergencies. Or at least between the Hydor and the UV. But I read on one of the "how-to" sites to NEVER put a valve on the outflow. Is this right?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

was refering to reef tanks with bulkhead fittings (hoses go through the bottom glass). The plumbing is intergal to the tank. As far as I know, there is no way to pull out the intake and spray heads on those (without draining the tank first). I suspect, however, they do have good cut offs.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
algae
Algae Grower

O.K. Sorry for the panic. G asked what the problem was. Basically it was an inexperience person seeing water shooting from both heater connections. Next time I'll know to pull the spray bar first.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
GraFFix
Planted Member

Hehe, understandable...We've all been there at one time or another. Main tools for keeping a fishtank...buckets and lots of towels.

Just remember with any leak the main concern is to stop the flow of water as best as you can. In this case it was tirning off the canister filter feeding the water and then pulling the spraybar breaking the syphon...and as you found out no more leaking and all the time in the world to fix the problem.

Glad you got it taken care of.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

If tales of personal stupidity make you feel any better, my eheim ecco has valves on the tubes, so you can shut them, and then disconnect from the filter.
I'm sure you can imagine my surprise the first time went to disconnect my xp3 (to install my Hydor, as a matter of fact!)
It really is quite surprising, the series of emotions you quickly go through when confronted by spurting water in your living space! Disbelief, worry, anger, decapitated chicken on an adrenaline rush - and of course, once you stopped the flow, the inevitable "How could I have been that stupid?!"
I suspect it is an exceptional individual indeed who can remain completely cool and collected in such circumstances.

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My eheim has the same quick disconnects. You just get into the habbit of turning off the valves and unscrewing the two sides. Course in my stand it is hard to bend over and see what you are doing - so I usually do this by feel.

Very surprised the time I unscrewed a hose rather than the quick disconnect...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.