Fresh tree stump?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fresh tree stump?

Has anyone ever tried using a stump for their tank from a tree they cut down for the stump. cause the stump looked amazing. Wondering if there's any steps I need to take before putting this Beauty in the tank.
Stump was alive yesterday
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

probably will still float, but you could try waterlogging it in a bathtub
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

How big of a stump are we talking about here?. A buddy of mine put a huge one in his 1200 gallon tank, and put a massive rock on top to weigh it down.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirayaman View Post
Has anyone ever tried using a stump for their tank from a tree they cut down for the stump. cause the stump looked amazing. Wondering if there's any steps I need to take before putting this Beauty in the tank.
Stump was alive yesterday
Hi pirayaman,

My biggest concern would be the fresh sap that could add toxins and organics to my tank as well as the fungus that could grow on it as it starts to decompose. The bark would likely start to decompose first and of course there are the added tannins.

We use driftwood because it is dried and cured, fresh branches and stumps have not gone through this process.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is there any way to cure it. Can I bake it in oven to dry it out and then water log it and bake again would that leach out the sap. Or do I put on porch for a year and find a dead stump
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

probably the best bet would be to soak it for a while. No idea how long, but mostly I'd be concerned with trying to get as much of the sap out as possible.

It may depend on what type of tree it was, but I don't personally know which trees are considered safe/risky.

Is it small enough that you can fit it into a container and soak it? or have a nearby body of water where you can lash it to something and leave it to soak?
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I gotta be honest I've bin driving round stump hunting all day. I cant find anything good that's bin dead but I keep seeing the stump of my dreams still attached to a tree and alive everywhere. Best ones are near creeks or side of hills cause the run off water exposes the roots. I just get worried cause I want crs shrimp and they are finicky. I have ghost shrimp baby's and cherry red with eggs with out testing water so I'm thinking ill be ok.
New tank organic miracle grow with fluorite cap and don't want a stump messing up my dreams of crs