Week 6 with Ada new Amzonia. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

It's about the water changes to leach out that ammonia. Even with massive water changes though, it does take weeks and weeks. It took about 6 weeks to cycle my new tank (and that was with fully seeded media for the filter).

Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

The first 2 weeks I did massive water changes the first 2 days I did 100% tap water 3rd day I did 100 distilled water and after that I did every 5 days 50% distilled TDS 150 gH 5 changes. I donít want to make too many big water changes that will deplete the buffering capabilities of the substrate and that would defeat the purpose of using Ada Amazoniaweeks.
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
It's about the water changes to leach out that ammonia. Even with massive water changes though, it does take weeks and weeks. It took about 6 weeks to cycle my new tank (and that was with fully seeded media for the filter).
I've played a lot with matured filters and new tanks for cycling. I find that when setting up a new low ph tank, it speeds up the cycle much better if you take a matured filter from similar ph.

I tried taking an entire canister filter that's matured in PH8 and put it in a cycling tank of PH 5.5 with ammonia of 2ppm. In 2 days there's no more ammonia but then a few days later ammonia comes back (leached from new substrate). I think the bacteria actually died with PH shock after a few days. However, with this new Amazonia tank, I used 50% of the filter media from another tank with PH 5.x, and it did speed up things a bit and no ammonia returning after a few days. This is not scientific again because I only played for 5 or 6 filters with different combination, so it could all be just coincidental.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Unfortunately my other tanks have higher pH so I canít do that and that is why I use nitrifying bacteria.
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

My FLUVAL Edge 6 gal is in at the 3 month mark

Last edited by Assassynation; 01-16-2013 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: tank cycling period
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

it's really patience with soil based tanks, I personally never test my water in all the years i've kept planted tanks - but I do wait for a 3 month mark before I add livestock, till that time an empty tank not only minimizes mistakes but trimming becomes a charm..hehe..my present 2ft'r is going to be hitting 3 months mark on 26th Jan will be adding fish on 29th..so patience is the key as everyone has already mentioned.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote