Week 6 with Ada new Amzonia.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Week 6 with Ada new Amzonia.

Itís been 6 weeks now and my tank still reads high Ammonia 4.0ppm.
The first 2 days I did 100% water change with tap water 3 day 100% distilled water remineralized and add ton of floaters and moss old filter media that did not help. I went and bought Nutrafin cycle that did not help so I bought BioDigest week later I am showing Ammonia 4ppm all this time I was doing 20-30% water changes.
What is wrong what am ĎI missing?
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Patience
Mrturritos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Mine cycled in 4 but I waited 9 weeks

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

Don't even bother with bottled up bacteria. You can't rush cylcing, otherwise it will bite you back in the butt. Just wait. Keep a current in the water.
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Thanks for the encouraging massages. I through at this every think I can think of and still ammonia is winning. I have my shrimp waiting in a bare bottom tank waiting.
I would like to see it come down some. I hear ton of people use BioDigest to help cycle the tank.
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

With aquasoil it's not about cycling. It's about when the it will stop leeching amonia. If you search the forums, there is a guide to setting up a tank with aquasoil and shows how you should do water changes for the initial cycling period.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i think it was like for the first week do water changes everyday then 2nd week every other and 3rd every 3rd day. or something. so i guess start doing them everyday for the next week. i had the same problem with it and got a little impatient. i think during the second week i got ammonia to 0 and then nitrites lowered the 3rd but i got impatient and added safestart once i saw that it was low enough and it was cycled. i also added more media that trick with the shower basket with the suction cups to dampen the flow GL also dont add any bacterias that arent nitrospiras because they wont do anything for the cycle and dont add the bacteria if the levels are over 1-2 ppm

Last edited by inthepacific; 01-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: adding info
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had heard from someone no water changes until cycled, then water changes (50%) to get the nitrates down. I also heard that some commercial substrates leach ammonia.

If you put in a lot of stem plants, they will consume the ammonia. Make sure you have enough circulation in the tank and adequate lighting. I like to see well-defined shadows on the substrate, but with the floaters you may not see that. Floaters are very good for CO2, possibly ammonia removal.

I had some luck with API Quick Start. I would use it again, particularly since you've used R/O water - no bacteria in there. It seems to me you're doing too much with the tank. I think you're supposed to just let it sit and test it. However, you may have a special case with your substrate. Sorry I can't give you a more conclusive answer. It seems weird to me, but in the final analysis, I would follow the directions for the substrate. You might check their site for more information. Sorry if I'm a little scattered.

Steven
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Silent Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
EKLiu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

I do 100% (or as close as I can get) daily for 2 weeks when I am setting up a new tank with Aquasoil. Otherwise nitrates will stay really high.
EKLiu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKLiu View Post
I do 100% (or as close as I can get) daily for 2 weeks when I am setting up a new tank with Aquasoil. Otherwise nitrates will stay really high.
I would disadvise 100% water changes - mabe 50% or at the outside 75%. Otherwise it can disturb the bacteria. I would plant stem plants- they will take down the ammonia and thereby reduce the nitrate. Meanwhile the nitrifying bacteria will develop.

Steven
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Silent Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I set mine up, planted it immediately, and did 50% water changes according to the usual schedule (every day 1st week, every 2 days 2nd week, every 3 days 3rd week, etc). I seeded in mature media in the 3rd week and turned up the temp and was fully cycled by the 4th week. Could have cycled faster by adding the mature media earlier.

Even if you cycle it quickly (can consume all ammonia and nitrite) it'll still leach ammonia and send your nitrates high for quite a while. I added fish in the 4th week, but had to do 50% water chances 2x a week for quite a while to keep nitrates down even though there was no ammonia or nitrite.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i didnt do any water changes on mine while cycling it and i think it took me over 1 month. it does stop eventually, just wait.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Would it be better to just leave it alone and test for ammonia and nitrates in the 4th, 5th, and 6th week? If a person is not in a hurry and doesnít rush the process do we still need to do all the water changes? I have my CBS in a bucket with a clip on light, clip on fan, sponge filter, and lots of moss. They seem to be doing fine. Can I just let the tank cycle without any water changes and just add a ton of floating water sprite and wisteria to help with the ammonia and nitrates?
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

50 % RO every day for 2 weeks. Without remineralizing - to save some money. Then do TDS on desire level.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I also set up 3 smaller tanks with new Amazonia mid December. Two 10G and one Fluval Flora (7.9G). One 10G with about 3" of substrate covering the entire bottom, it's still leaching, I didn't use any old filter media in that tank. The Flora is the same, with less substrate about 2". Both tanks are still high in ammonia about 4 ppm. The other 10G I have a small divider about 3", I only fill the smaller side about 1/3 of the tank length. For this one I added matured filter media, and it had very close to 0 ammonia in about 2 weeks.

I'll still be patient though, not planning to add shrimps for another 3 weeks at least.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.