Moving right along
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Texas

Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Moving right along

I just finished with the frame construction on one of two 40g breeder stands. This was my first time making a stand from scratch but I am happy to report that it turned out okay.

Of course, since this was my first build, there were some imperfections but overall it holds what its supposed to (I did a water test with 5g buckets and confirmed with the tank itself.)

Anyways...I have a picture from last night as the wood glue was setting and then one from just a few minutes ago after I checked the 40g for leaks.

rocketdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Looks nice and sturdy. Good job.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

What are your plans for finishing the outside of the stand? Are you going to stain the wood or paint it? I love watching build threads like this. I wish I could do it or knew someone close to me who could.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I actually painted it a flat black and finished with a clear gloss. We were going to build doors and skins for the sides but we decided we could always add them later (especially since we still have another stand to build). I'll get some pics up when I can.

As far as sturdiness goes, it was iffy at first. I got 400lbs on it and moved it a little. Side to side was great, but front to back had some real wobble. I went back and added those three supports along the bottom; lifting the middle one up just a little to allow for cords. The outer boards are mounted on the inside of the legs to leave a small lip large enough for a power strip. Now sturdiness isn't an issue.

Stands really aren't that difficult to build. This was my first build and including the 4 layers of primer, paint, and gloss, it took about 10 hrs labor total.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

Today I built and installed the lighting set up for the 40 breeder. Its a 3' t5 from HD. I suspended it using wire rope and eye hooks from two separate wall shelves.

Tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. I stocked it pretty quickly with a few fry and adult guppies. It experienced a bacterial bloom for a few days until I w/c and upped the lighting and dosing. Its been running fairly clear ever since.

Now that the light is up, I want to get some breeding stock (shrimp and plecos), as well as a few plants to grow.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Bear Sage
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking good!
Bear Sage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

It's coming together.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Looks good!

I too have a 40B, actually had it for almost a year, and I am going to start on the stand in a few days! I plan on a basic stand as well and will "skin" the outside when I get the extra $!

Good Luck with the 40B, and I will be interested to see how yours develop!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Where are you Located dude?
crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm in San Antonio
Old 09-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its been a few weeks since I gave an update so I thought I'd post.

The picture is the 40b that is finally stocked, for now, with lots of plants and some guppies I'm trying to select males from (and to cycle - shame). Some of the nicer plants include didiplis diandra, l. peruensis, r. macranda, r wallichii, alternanthera rosaefolia, and red leaf nesaea.

(Most of these are at ER too so get in there before they are gone.)

Anyways, I haven't fully figured out how I am going to stock it quite yet. I know I will be pulling the guppies sooner than later. I am leaning towards plecos, but I would need to get a hold of a nice pair, and then shrimp. I was thinking blue velvets or OEBT.

Excuse the messiness ; )

Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
Bear Sage
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking good buddy text me maybe I'll grab something off you or trade.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #13
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Lots of nice plants in there!!!

Is there a good plant store in SA or did you order them?

Nothing here in Waco area really! 1 pretty good LFS, but not into plants and only keep bulbs and fox tail usually! Having a full size 4door truck it is cheaper for me to order than to go to Austin, but I REALLY REALLY like seeing what I am getting though!

A Buddy of mine used to live in SA and there were quite a few good LFS there then, but that was around 2000, so I bet a lot has changed since then!

Any way keep up the good work on the 40B!!! I finally got all the parts I need to get mine going! They should be here on Wednesday, and I will be getting the Black Beauty Sand and 2x4s for the stand tomorrow! Got a deal on Miracle Grow Organic soil tonight at Lowe's! They stopped carrying it last year, but still have 2 pallets of it left in the overhead, so I got 2 32qt bags for $10! SO I should have enough to do my 55g, 40B, and a 29g I am getting from a friend some time soon!

Anyway best of luck to Ya, and have fun in SA!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, I can't believe its been two months without an update! Good news though, I got one.

The 40b is ticking right along. I added a Hagen reflector and it increased light intensity quite a bit. I also added a diy co2 system for the time being (just waiting on an order) consisting of 4 3L bottles running on two powerheads. Plants pearled the first morning, but not much since. Nevertheless, plant growth has been awesome. This tank is just pumping out myrio red, green, and fluviatilis. I added in some new species and cleaned it up.

Currently there are no fish in the system (haven't figured it out yet and I love the plants more anyways). But, I do have quite a few species : )

Currently we have b. caroliniana, c. pulcherima, l. senegalensis sp. guinea, r. sp mini type I, r. wallichii, r. macranda, lagarosiphon madagascariensis, myrio (red, green, and filigree), d. diandra, alt. lilicina, alt. rosaefolia, mayaca fluviatilis, nesaea var red leaf, heteranthera zosterifolia, and 5 or so species of crypts.

The next picture is the new 20 long I just set up. I'm using an overdriven t5 ballast that can pull between 45 and 70 par on the substrate depending on location. There is no co2 on this system yet and the only filtration is a sponge filter. I will be using a HOB 20g when we switch filters on the bowfront. Co2 will likely be diy.

I stocked it yesterday with plants and substrate. Current flora list includes alt. lilicina, l. senegalensis sp. guinea, r. wallichii, l. aromatica, lagarosiphon madagascariensis, nesaea var red leaf, and r. sp. mini type I.

Finally, and just for fun, its my recently topless 10g home to Regal, the betta. The cats drink out of it but Regal just sits right under them without issue.

Last edited by rocketdude1234; 11-27-2012 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: Missed a pic
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I finally tore down the 36g bowfront and upgraded to a 40b. Still in stocking process, but fish remain the same for now. Plants include L. senegalensis 'guinea', lagarosiphon madagascariensis, r. mini type I, r. wallichii limnophila aromatica, bacopa caroliniana, nesaea var. red leaf, c. lucens, c. pontederiifolia, anubias congensis.

I will likely be doing a carpet and upgrading from the 2xt5 to 4xt5 shortly.