Territorial Forums - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 12-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #16
johnd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki
I am a mod/admin on 3 other boards, and I must admit that this board seems to be very well run. I think your subject matter helps you avoid problems as well. I think most aquarists that want to put the time, money and effort in to have a really nice planted tank tend to be a little older, or at least mature for their age.

One of the sites I moderate is an Oscar site ( oscarfish. com). There is something about big fish that are capable of eating other fish that draws the teenagers in like droves. We have many problems over there. They tend to get offended when it is explained to them that they can't keep a fish that is capable of growing to 18 inches in a 10 gallon tank.
Saluki, your forum fits into the category that labels everyone who don't agree with the mods as trolls. You should find the reason why your site seems to attract "immature" posters. Sometimes instead of blaming everyone else, maybe look in a different direction?

Do you really think that people will get offended if you tell them to get a bigger tank? You really seem to think that members transform into trolls just because you offer them some advise? Or is that just an excuse you made up cos you don't want to say "oh, he was banned cos he showed why activated carbon is not a must for aquarium" or "oh, he said aquarium plastic bags should be used to transfer fish and not fish nets" etc etc ..

Trolls are people who sign up to create trouble. Look over the people you have banned from your forums. Many of them have hundreds of posts with good contribution. Obviously they are not trolls. However, once they debate something that the mods/admin disagree with, that's it. Banned. End of story.

You and your gang seems get some kind of kick out of editing other people's postings into your own words and then banning them to cover up. How lame. Do let us know what are the other boards that you and your gang mods so that I can tell people everywhere not to visit them so we save ourself from future frustration.

By they way I am really surprised you didn't get to be a mod on this forum huh? :lol: Did you ask to be one? I think I know.. :lol:
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should go to a model trains forum. They are some serious rivet counters in there!!!!
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 PM   #18
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

No doubt... I'm afraid to go in the model rail forums... I like to model trains in a whimsical sort of fashion... and that doesnt really jive with the hardcore enthusiasts
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2003, 06:46 PM   #19
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree with you Gareth. I like to run mine and have fun. Yet I like them to be a bit prototypical. One of the forums I frequent got shut down for a good while b/c a bunch of grown men behaved really bad. What scale are you in?
EPC Member #27
Old 12-09-2003, 07:15 PM   #20
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I'm in N, HO, and O

Currently I have nothing running (I'm renting) but I really really miss it. I've been making small scale N guage scenes, diarama's etc.. stuff for photos
Old 12-09-2003, 07:30 PM   #21
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome! Do you go to the Atlas forum?
EPC Member #27
Old 12-09-2003, 08:00 PM   #22
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Not really.. I really only frequent a few fish boards these days... I just dont have that much time.. lol
Old 12-12-2003, 02:05 AM   #23
Seamaiden
Algae Grower

Ah, what an interesting thread. This type of attitude is applicable across a wide spectrum, indeed. I've been "yelled at" for suggesting that one doesn't need a protein skimmer for reef. I have a tendency to try to qualify my statements as best I can, but ya know, sometimes I fail. I've yet to be banned from any site.. YET! (Glad y'all are letting me post after filling you in on what I do for a living.. )

One thing's for sure, and you folks seem to have it very well sorted out, when so many others (O, SO many others :roll: ) are completely STUCK in this "Well, it said in this book.." or "Someone else said on your site..", that fishkeeping is just as much art as science.

Lately.. I'm into working on my Linux partition.. and oddly enough, the only real arguments I find on those boards are usually centered around that whole MS vs. Opensource debate. Clearly, if I'm still trying to get the flashplayer installed on Opera, I don't have enough to do, now do I? :lol:
Seamaiden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2003, 02:55 AM   #24
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am on a Mountain Biking Site, and the people there are all ready to kill each other right now.

Seems to be a lot of tension in the air these days. I agree that this board is very friendly.

I have been reading for a while, and just started posting a while ago.

Good work Mr. Fender.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:25 AM   #25
Seamaiden
Algae Grower

I'm curious.. what could the argument be on a mountain biking site? I used to hang with quite a few competitors/builders (and a couple of sales reps), and they seem to be among the most laid back of peeps.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:44 PM   #26
SLH
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to SLH

Hi, all!

I'm new to the board as well, and am currently being helped with a rather bonehead mistake I made last night. It's nice how quickly people responded without being snotty or reprimanding. This does seem like a great board to frequent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaiden
Lately.. I'm into working on my Linux partition.. and oddly enough, the only real arguments I find on those boards are usually centered around that whole MS vs. Opensource debate. Clearly, if I'm still trying to get the flashplayer installed on Opera, I don't have enough to do, now do I? :lol:
What distro do you run? I've been using Gentoo for about a year now

The shortest distance to any pun is a straightline.
SLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #27
Zurp
Planted Member

No, you are all wrong!

:twisted:

That's my 2

I never see this kind of stuff happen in forums.
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2003, 11:44 PM   #28
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice try Z
EPC Member #27
Old 12-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #29
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

peace and happiness dudes and dudettes.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2003, 05:10 AM   #30
Seamaiden
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH
Hi, all!

I'm new to the board as well, and am currently being helped with a rather bonehead mistake I made last night. It's nice how quickly people responded without being snotty or reprimanding. This does seem like a great board to frequent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaiden
What distro do you run? I've been using Gentoo for about a year now
I'm using Redhat 9. My beau (the man who finally talked me into trying Linux - btw, did you see that first ad IBM ran "His name is Linux"? FANTASTIC piece of advertising in my opinion.. gave me chills!) has the patience (and a laptop to tide him over) and runs Gentoo. I cannot take three or four days of kernel compilation without someone to simultaneously hold my hand and distract me. :lol:

I do have to admit though, while rpm's and "apt-get" are neat, they don't quite compare to "emerge", do they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.