Indications shrimp are being underfed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
seachaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Indications shrimp are being underfed?

Are there any tell tale indicators shrimp (CRS in my case) aren't getting enough to eat?

I ask because my shrimp have become more aggressive lately as the colony size has grown, even some of the berried females who normally would stay hidden are out. I'm probably still over feeding but was curious what signs may indicate otherwise.
seachaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It's hard to tell. Shrimp are like dogs with fresh meat or cheese, they'll keep eating even if they're full. lol. You can feed your shrimp tank, all the food is gone, feed 4 hours later and they come out again. I've noticed the same though, as my population got bigger, the faster they came out and the more they were on the food, fighting over it and running away and hoarding, so I stepped up my feeding. It's always a rough guess. Snails help if possible as they eat the extra food. lol. When the food was gone before the snails even got to it, I knew it was time to feed more.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Shrimps are grazers. They literally eat and poop at the same time lol. But mostly they graze in biofilm.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
aznrice247
The Great Poobah

PTrader: (29/97%)

my rule of thumb... if they are pooping a lot they are good.
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Blue Falcon
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I judge how much to feed based on the reaction I get from my shrimp. If all of them are swarming the food and hoarding it and I have a crazy shrimp ball, I take this as a sign I need to feed more often. If however some of the shrimp seem like they could care less about the food you just put in the aquarium, I take this as I am feeding the right amount and frequency of food. And lastly, if few or no shrimp seem interested in the food, I take this as a sign I am feeding too often.

Just my experiences
Blue Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon View Post
I judge how much to feed based on the reaction I get from my shrimp. If all of them are swarming the food and hoarding it and I have a crazy shrimp ball, I take this as a sign I need to feed more often. If however some of the shrimp seem like they could care less about the food you just put in the aquarium, I take this as I am feeding the right amount and frequency of food. And lastly, if few or no shrimp seem interested in the food, I take this as a sign I am feeding too often.

Just my experiences
my thoughts exactly...

mine love their food and were ignoring the alge.. gave them a day no food they went NUTS for it the next day.. and yes they got back to the alge..
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

If my shrimps arent ravenously attacking the food, I skip feeding for the next day.
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

i find that shrimp are kinda like humans in respect to appetite. i spent a few months in isolation once, in a swamp. i went in weighing about 145, came out weighing 96(damned dysentery drove me back to society eight days earlier than i planned). while i was there, my preference for food changed dramatically. meat just didnt taste good after a couple months of eating it. the eyeballs tasted fantastic. so did the cartilage between the bones, and wild onions were to die for(strangely enough, so were pine needles). i had plenty of food in the form of meats, but it was lacking something my body needed(i think?).

my shrimp seem to have been the same way. if i feed them the same type of food over and over again, they seem to lose interest in it if they have plenty of it laying around. change the food up and they will pounce on it.

the sludge that forms around CO2 diffusers seems to be a delicacy to my shrimp, but when i cultured it and fed it to them for three days straight, they started to ignore it and would instead shove each other out of the way just to get to the pellets i was feeding them before.

i think shrimp just like variety. they seem to get bored with just one type of food.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

As population density increases, one must adjust feeding habits accordingly. Sort of envision a buffet style restaurant running out of lobster and Alaskan crab legs and how the natives grow restless. Relying on biofilm alone will no longer be an option as food supplements are now a necessity.

Feeding sizes and locations must be multiplied and adjusted. Failing to do so will show signs of younglings being trampled with only the most aggressive surviving. Worst cases will show signs of predation on injured shrimp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.