Another Newb Looking for Plant Suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
raulfd4
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wink

Another Newb Looking for Plant Suggestions

Display Tank:

Dimensions: 65 gallon w/ built-in overflow. (36" x 18" x 24") (LxWxH)
Substrate: MGOCPM & Pool Filter Sand
Lighting: Dual 39W T5HO (1x 6,000K & 1x 650nm Roseate), 3" above tank.

Desired Aesthetic:

See the attached image for what I would consider my inspiration. I have a large, intricate piece of Manzanita driftwood coming in the mail. I want to cover it in moss (preferably not Java moss) and anubias. I also love the wild, jungle look. I am stumped on what taller plants I can choose from because the tank is so tall. I love the look of jungle vals, but I have heard they are hard to keep in a Walstad-esque tank and they can't handle liquid ferts like Excel.

Desired Upkeep:

No CO2 and preferably no ferts.

Sump:

Dimensions: 20 gallon long. (30" x 12" x 12") (LxWxH)
Substrate: MGOCPM & Pool Filter Sand
Lighting: Dual 17W T8 6,500K, 8" above tank

Desired Aesthetic:

All sturdy emergent/emersive plants, preferably ones that won't grow much taller than 18".

Desired Upkeep:

No CO2 and preferably no ferts.

I asked about the parameters of the water at my LFS (very close to my house) and they said that pH is usually between 7 and 8. They don't measure for hardness, but they said since I am on the city's water line, the water is probably softer than I would expect. If it means anything, it is easy to get a good lather in the shower and takes a little bit to get all of the shampoo out of your hair. Not sure how helpful that information is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).JPG
Views:	18
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	66338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	inspiration.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	66346  

raulfd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
scream-aim-fire
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Sounds like you have a decent start on the tank. Most planted tanks dont run sumps because of gas exchange but sence you are not running co2 it should be fine. I have never done a dirted tank before so I don't know much about it other than you just want to make sure your layers of dirt and substrate are correct. Also for taller plants you can always go with any kind of stem plant which is what is mostly in the picture of the tank you posted. If you have any more questions you can PM me.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
raulfd4
Algae Grower

Okay, thanks.

I was maybe hoping for some more specific recommendations given my lighting, etc.?

Anyone?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Difficult to envision what you're trying to achieve, even with the pic of what has inspired you - it's nice & 'jungly', but all of the same coloration.
It appears though, that you might be inclined towards manzanita encased with some form of moss - am I reading it right ?

In any event, your lighting is good for that size of tank, and PFS as substrate would be great if you use a few root tab ferts for the stem rooted plants.

Besides Anubias or Java Ferns on your selected driftwood, I'd suggest, for rooted plants, you consider any types of swords (echinodorus), ludwigia, crypts, lotuses, hygrophilas, jumbo grasses, bacopas, rotalas, - there are a host of others.

Perhaps it may help you to have a look at a similar sized tank (70 + gals), with exactly the same lighting, and the same substrate -....... 2 separate sets of pics, about a year apart, with the first set being more heavily planted, and the second, slightly more minimalist in decor/plantings - both low-tech:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...3RedSnakeSkins
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...aul/lolliblues
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
raulfd4
Algae Grower

Great suggestions, Paul.

Do you think the rooted plants will still need fert tabs even though they'll be planted in the potting mix?

You're right about wanting the moss covered manzanita. I'm not a huge fan of java moss, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a different moss that may work in my setup.

Any ideas for emergent plants for the sump? I really want to get them growing up out of the ~7"of water they'll be in.

I'll definitely check out those other tanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
scream-aim-fire
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

With a dirted tank you wont need root tabs right now but it wouldn't hurt to use some later down the road, any kind of moss will work, christmas, singapore, peacock whatever kind you like. For your sump you can still use most any stem plant, once they grow to the water surface most of them will grow up out of the water, you can also use lucky bamboo (which is not real bamboo) as long as the leaves are above the water line, you could also try some sword plants, I had a sward plant in my 125gal tank a while back that grew out of the top of my tank which is about 20-24in high and stuck out of the water over 6inches.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
jarvitron
Algae Grower

Christmas moss is the prettiest I've seen, also probably the slowest growing. where Java can get a little lanky and sparse, Christmas is always dense, deep green.

For the sump, well... Anything. A big anubias will go out of 7" of water. Riparium planters and crypts? 6" wide 8" tall terra cotta pots filled with pothos? You could just float a big raft of Chinese evergreen in it and it would be a huge nitrate scrubber. Put an airstone in the bottom and DWC some lettuce on a styrofoam board. Really depends on how pretty you want it to be down there.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
raulfd4
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, not concerned about the beauty in the sump - mainly looking for what you have deemed a "nitrate scrubber" .

I do like the christmas moss - one of my friends kept it with good success. Maybe I'll give that a shot.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
shiloh
Planted Member

For tall plants I'd look to any type of val. I've had 3 types of val that all went crazy in a low/medium light tank. It's pretty attractive when you can make a wall of the stuff.